Dealer won't perform Recall?

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
I recently thought I was having timeing issues with my X so I posted on this board for more info. Turns out that unbenounced by me Ford had a recall on all pree-2000 explorers with the V6 Sohc engine, mine is a 1998 and I don't remember having this recall performed.

I called the dealer and asked that they fix this recall for me, the service person spoke with her manager who told her that if I had a concern with the timing chain tensioner I could bring in the vehicle and they would look at it, but I would be charged for it. We went around in circles as I tried to explain that this was a recall issue, but she just didn't seem to get it.

I recall recently when I had idling issues my mechanic told me about the intake gasket recall and told me to bring the vehicle back to Ford and have them fix it. I did this and they did fix it under that recall issue, funny but I never got a letter from Ford, I am thinking I never got a letter for the timing chain tensioner issue either. I am the second owner of the vehicle.

Anyway now I do not know what to do, I never thought a dealer would refuse to do recall work. Is there any guidlines to this? How long do I have or did I have to get this recall fixed.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think there is some sort of a time limit except for maybe safty issues, your pushin 8 yrs, the first owner prob. got the recall stuff

You can give them your vin# and they will tell you all the recalls that have been performed to that specific vehicle. I believe there was a time limit on that recall but not sure. If your having issues with one ford dealer, I would find the next closest one. Or... call customer service ask for a manager and complain about your service and/or treatment. Ford also has a 800 number for their corporate headquarters. Anytime I have trouble with any company that has nationwide offices, I go over their head and complain straight to corporate... nothing gets the ball rolling quicker than a manager getting a call from corporate :D

I do not believe the tensioner was an actual recall. It was an ONP (owner notification program) which extends the warranty for particular items. The original owner probably received the notification. The deal is that you need to have a problem which is caused by the tensioner within the extended warranty period for Ford to fix it under the ONP. It's not an automatic recall. Do a search for 00M12 and 01M01. I have never had these ONP's fixed. I have 75K on my 98 which is beyond the ONP extended warranty. Just my luck to have a perfectly running SOHC with no problems whatsoever.

Mine has 132k on it so I am sure it is way out of any warranty. I will have someone run the Vin.

Thanks for all the help....

That repair is not a recall option. As someone mentioned, if you had a warranty, it would have been dealt with. That's how I got my service done for free.

Correct... the warranty coverage on those components was extended to 7 yrs/100k miles. It was NOT a recall.

If you experienced those problems within the 7/100, the dealership would replace the affected components free of charge. If it occurs outside of that warranty period (which started at the sale date, not the manufacture date) you're on your own to ante-up for the repair.

-Joe

I guess that settles that- Thanks for the 411.

Does anyone know what the life expectancy of a timing chain tensioner or timeing chains in a V6 Sohc is?

It varies. Some last the life of the car, others don't. Mine were replaced at 13,000 miles (long before the TSB came out) and failed a second time. New engine went in at 23,000 miles, and the tensioners failed at 26,000 miles. They were replaced with the revised part (pre-TSB... I think I was one of the guinea pigs) and now at 97k, it's started again. (Out of warranty by 3 months, of course)

Some people never have the problem.

-Joe

gijoecam said:
It varies. Some last the life of the car, others don't. Mine were replaced at 13,000 miles (long before the TSB came out) and failed a second time. New engine went in at 23,000 miles, and the tensioners failed at 26,000 miles. They were replaced with the revised part (pre-TSB... I think I was one of the guinea pigs) and now at 97k, it's started again. (Out of warranty by 3 months, of course)

Some people never have the problem.

-Joe

Wow... 3 times for with a 4th coming up and all in in 97k. Doesn't say much for Ford engineering. I too am curious about who has the most miles on a SOHC without having these fixed. I've been waiting for the dreaded rattle but so far so good. Hope I'm one of the 'life of the car' lucky ones.

My 99 has 114k on it and I bought it with 110k.. I haven't heard a thing so far so maybe I'm one of the lucky ones?

Was this a major problem with the SOHC?

I think I just passed 145K and I am in the process of doing my 00M12 kit right now. I think I was pushing my luck with the chain tensioner because I started hearing it a month ago, and this is my wife truck... I did the research and told her to park it when I found out how serious it was... It isn't very hard to do! Maybe a 1.5 on a one to five scale...

Have a good one all!

what exactly is in that kit? will you need to get anything else... or does it come with every do-dad and do-hicky you need (great terminology huh?) just curious, getting ready to do my timing chain tensioner.

Back