Dear Lord, I need help

acschilling

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
All five lug studs are spinning with the nuts. What have I done..? The rotors are brand new too. Heat, air are not really options. Can I pry them out?

Weak :thumbdwn:

Attachments

• IMAG0123.jpg
    IMAG0123.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 256
  • IMAG0122.jpg
    IMAG0122.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 259

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would try to cut the nuts in half along side the studsand bust em off with a chisel. Cut off wheel or maybe a sawzall. Good luck my friend...that one sucks.

Why is there wear on the wheel around every lug nut?

The Craftsman Nut Cracker might be too small for the lugs, but maybe not:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-nut-cracker/p-00904772000P

Worth a shot for $11-12, can always return it, or just take another 3/4 lugnut in to see if it fits.

Other than that, I'd get a 5-pack of 8-12" reciprocating saw blades and go at it. The longer blade will bend enough so you can cut with the front of the blade even though the saw will be at an angle with the dish of the wheel. You can cut a hole in some thin metal to use as a shim to try and protect the wheel if you're trying to save it.

An angle grinder with a cutoff wheel would also work wonders.

Gents, I'm sad to say I limped to my mechanic.:thumbdwn: I'm getting married on the 28th and this was the last thing I needed to deal with as it's my DD..If it's far worth the price even with possibly destroying a rim; though I'm not really expecting it back either way (oh well) then I'm considering the sawzall-to try an attempt at saving it.

can those nut splitters break lug nuts? and then do all 5?

Nut splitters do pretty good, they actually do better on harder metal like lugnuts rather than softer cheap stuff because higher grade fasteners will crack/snap rather than bend or deform.

I would think it'd do all 5 no problem, but even if it only does a few before the sharp tip gets dull, you just take a grinding wheel to it and sharpen it back up.

your wheels already ruined,, take the easy way out,, put the victor wrench on there,

long and horrible, you could probably grind them off with a grinder, after all the rim is shot. or a cut of tool.

when i was 18 (many years ago) i managed to do this (don't ask how) and what i did was remove the rotor with the wheel attached, took it to a welding shop and had them weld the studs to the rotor so they couldn't spin with the nuts. that solved my problem, but my wheel and lugs weren't screwed up.

when i was 18 (many years ago) i managed to do this (don't ask how) and what i did was remove the rotor with the wheel attached, took it to a welding shop and had them weld the studs to the rotor so they couldn't spin with the nuts. that solved my problem, but my wheel and lugs weren't screwed up.

how did you get the caliper off?

Back