"Death Rattle" from OHV?

4rd Xplora

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
On a Round Rock in Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Anybody have this issue before? The X sat at the airport for 5 days last week and started with no issues. Then she sat at home from last Saturday until Wednesday. I started her today and got the rattle for about 2 seconds, sounded like all the rods were knocking. The oil pressure gauge was showing no pressure and the jumped to midway and the rattle went away, (yes, I know it's an idiot gauge, a half step above an idiot light). Oil level is fine and I've been using Motorcraft Synthetic Blend for about 2 years now. Afterwards I hit the highway for a short trip about 45 miles total and hit speeds of around 80-85, did several other short runs, no other problems surfaced, she was fine the rest of the day. Will update on how it starts tomorrow. The X is showing some very high mileage now, somewhere between 250-310+K. BTW the timing chain is the original unit.

TheX008_zps8dec04db.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I get that rattle too sometimes on first start in the morning. But it goes away within 5 seconds. I also have almost a diesel clatter from the engine sometimes, but it still runs strong and no problems.

Dude, regardless of mileage that is one clean engine compartment. Nice work, very clean. Shows pride in ownership. My compliments.

Chef Duane

the timing chain on an OHV engine is not lubed in the same way as the SOHC (by oil pressure in the tensioners). i doubt that's your noise. it's more likely your hydraulic lifters are bleeding down after sitting. this can happen on high mileage engines due to lifter wear. it's not a big deal. the noise goes away quickly once the lifters get oil back in them. are you using an oil filter with an anti-drainback valve (like Wix or Motorcraft)?

Dude, regardless of mileage that is one clean engine compartment. Nice work, very clean. Shows pride in ownership. My compliments.

Chef Duane

It's been a 13 year love affair. For a truck that sits outside in the Texas heat year round she's holding up pretty good.

TheXpt2001_zpsf3e9208f.jpg

the timing chain on an OHV engine is not lubed in the same way as the SOHC (by oil pressure in the tensioners). i doubt that's your noise. it's more likely your hydraulic lifters are bleeding down after sitting. this can happen on high mileage engines due to lifter wear. it's not a big deal. the noise goes away quickly once the lifters get oil back in them. are you using an oil filter with an anti-drainback valve (like Wix or Motorcraft)?

That makes perfect sense. I think I'm just getting paranoid, my X has given me 13 years of use with hardly any issues. BTW I do use Motorcraft filters, 95% of the time only Motorcraft or FoMoCo replacement parts are used.

It's been a 13 year love affair. For a truck that sits outside in the Texas heat year round she's holding up pretty good.

TheXpt2001_zpsf3e9208f.jpg

Yes, I am outside of Dallas myself and when I hear some of the Midwest and East Coast guys talk about salt, rust, and snow issues I shudder. Give me the Texas sun and heat anytime.

I've had a diesel-like clatter on my 2000 Sport w/ 4.0 OHV since i've had it, from 93,000 miles until now at 174,000 miles. It still runs like when I got it, no indications that anything is wrong. I heard there's excessive clearance on the wrist pins and that causes the noise. Or, like mentioned, it could be your lifters bleeding down.

Strangely though, my former 98 XLT with the 4.0 was quieter, even though it had 210,000 miles when I gave it to my brother.

Not related to your question, but nice work on the upkeep and appearance!

you obviously take excellent care of your truck, especially considering it lives outside. how is it the Texas sun hasn't burnt the clear coat off? it's hard to believe that's a 18 year old vehicle. my '01 has always been garaged and is also in very nice shape, although it's not quite as clean under the hood right now.

100_0320.jpg

you obviously take excellent care of your truck, especially considering it lives outside. how is it the Texas sun hasn't burnt the clear coat off? it's hard to believe that's a 18 year old vehicle. my '01 has always been garaged and is also in very nice shape, although it's not quite as clean under the hood right now.

View attachment 79427

I have to be honest, the hood could stand a repaint. Not because of clear coat issues though, she's starting to have spider webbing in the paint toward the center and rear edges of the hood and the previous owner did alot of highway driving so the leading edge of the hood has rock chips, that's why she wears a bra. Hand waxed twice a year now, "Wax As You Dry" used at almost every wash, the engine washed and treated at least 3 times a year. Interior is still in great shape for it's age with the arm rest being the only part replaced. I'm really surprised the dash has held up so well. The Bullitt in the background gets about the same except for a few more hand waxes. It's an "outsider" also. A few more photos are posted in my album page.

You guys are lucky..
Even though you have extreme heat, you can take care of the truck. And Koda has a garage..
Mine has lived outside all it's life with lovely salted roads.. and I'm dealing with this right now.. brutal. No matter how hard you try to keep the truck maintained, salt kills.
FCLyKbGl.jpg

i checked out your alum. very clean. my interior is perfect now that i replaced the leather driver's seat bottom. where did you get your dash wood-grain kit? i was recently looking at one but it didn't include the radio bezel piece. i have the limited wood radio bezel, but i hate the black rubbery stuff everywhere else.

djdom, i lived in the NY City area for most of my life. so i know all about what salt does to cars. i used to buy a new car every 2-3 years just to keep ahead of it. my 13 year old Explorer looks like a 1 year old car underneath. dirty, but not a lick of rust.

My undercarriage and frame actually look amazing for their age. It's been undercoated every year, and all the rust under there is just surface rust, everything else is fine.
It's just the body has reached the point where it's getting bad. I plan to cut it out and repair it this summer. I have everything I need, I just can't find the time. I already repaired a bit of rust on the bottom of the front doors where they touch the door seal. Had some rust there. Ground it off, little bit of bondo and paint, looks great.

i checked out your alum. very clean. my interior is perfect now that i replaced the leather driver's seat bottom. where did you get your dash wood-grain kit? i was recently looking at one but it didn't include the radio bezel piece. i have the limited wood radio bezel, but i hate the black rubbery stuff everywhere else.

Paid 47 bucks for the wood trim out of one of the local bone yards. Jacked the pieces from a junked X. Got everything except the cup holder trim, the junked one was for a single cup and mine is a dual. Koda, I love to have a set of factory wheels like you have, I really hate those 3 spoke wheels. BTW, I didn't start the X today to check on that rattle. Maybe tomorrow.

Paid 47 bucks for the wood trim out of one of the local bone yards. Jacked the pieces from a junked X. Got everything except the cup holder trim, the junked one was for a single cup and mine is a dual. Koda, I love to have a set of factory wheels like you have, I really hate those 3 spoke wheels. BTW, I didn't start the X today to check on that rattle. Maybe tomorrow.

my wheels are 16's. i often see them (15's & 16's) for sale on my local craigslist. they seem to be very reasonably priced and usually in very good condition. a couple of months ago there was a set of 4 that someone had chromed. they were really nice and i think he was asking $375 for the set. my Mountaineer has the wheels pictured below, i don't like them as much and they're a pain to clean.

109_0117.jpg

on the lifter noise, i have a friend who has a '55 Ols v8. he lets it sit for months w/out starting it. when he finally does start it, it sounds horrible for about 30 seconds. then the noise stops and as long as he starts it periodically it will be quiet.

Koda, your units are by far, two of the cleanest I've ever seen. And both are V/8's! :chug:

Koda, your units are by far, two of the cleanest I've ever seen. And both are V/8's! :chug:

thank you. the other 2 are decent, but in more average condition (for GA anyway) the black one is now wearing the alloys like on the blue one.

109_0136.jpg

100_0316.jpg

That black Mountaineer is SWEET! 4 units in your fold? Ford should've use you in a commercial of some sort. :) Fired up my X today, no rattle what so ever. Guessing you were right on the money about the lifters bleeding down. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back