"Death Rattle" from OHV? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Death Rattle" from OHV?

Yes, I am outside of Dallas myself and when I hear some of the Midwest and East Coast guys talk about salt, rust, and snow issues I shudder. Give me the Texas sun and heat anytime.

Same here ... are you my twin? Thought I would share my 98EB with 67K miles. Interior is as clean as exterior ... ( I do wish it was 5.0 though )

1998ExplorerEB_zps84bbc0f5.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same here ... are you my twin? Thought I would share my 98EB with 67K miles. Interior is as clean as exterior ... ( I do wish it was 5.0 though )

nice truck. 67,000 miles in 16 years? that's like 4,000 miles a year. no wonder it looks like new. mine range from between 170,000 to 246,000. they all run and drive great. as you can tell, i have a thing for these vehicles.

nice truck. 67,000 miles in 16 years? that's like 4,000 miles a year. no wonder it looks like new. mine range from between 170,000 to 246,000. they all run and drive great. as you can tell, i have a thing for these vehicles.

2nd Gens are my fav too. Found this one owner last year with 61K......she's a keeper. :)

2nd Gens are my fav too. Found this one owner last year with 61K......she's a keeper. :)

Looks like my truck's younger twin brother. Nice......

not to shabby for a '97 with almost 250,000 miles huh?

111_0122.jpg

111_0121.jpg

Very nice and clean engine bay!

not to shabby for a '97 with almost 250,000 miles huh?

Not too shabby at all. :thumbsup: You know we kinda got off the original subject here, but hell, I'm enjoying it! Getting to see some clean trucks here.

Not too shabby at all. :thumbsup: You know we kinda got off the original subject here, but hell, I'm enjoying it! Getting to see some clean trucks here.

yeah, maybe we should start a new thread titled, "How clean is your Explorer?" before we get reprimanded for getting off topic.

Man I'm jealous! Those things look great compared to mine! Although mine still looks better than just about any 2nd-gen Explorer I've seen around here (heck, looks like it's in better shape than a lot of the 5th-gens up here).

What exactly does the so-called "death rattle" sound like? I do get a noise that sounds almost like a knock that happens maybe once or twice every couple seconds or so, usually when cold, but besides that the engine sounds fine.

Man I'm jealous! Those things look great compared to mine! Although mine still looks better than just about any 2nd-gen Explorer I've seen around here (heck, looks like it's in better shape than a lot of the 5th-gens up here).

What exactly does the so-called "death rattle" sound like? I do get a noise that sounds almost like a knock that happens maybe once or twice every couple seconds or so, usually when cold, but besides that the engine sounds fine.

the "death rattle" is specific to the 4.0L SOHC engine. it happens when the timing chains loose tension because the hydraulic tensioners get weak and/or when the chain guides wear out and/or when the cassettes break. it's most noticeable at engine start-up and at idle. sounds like an old diesel engine running. as you have an OHV 4.0L you don't need to worry about it.

Back