Death rattle or torque converter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Death rattle or torque converter

daisyrocky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
Hi everyone. Just picked up a 97 Ex sohc w/ automatic for 800.00. It runs a little rough but the only big problem is when I put it in drive or reverse at low rpm the rattle is near the bellhousing area. And only rattles on low rpm in drive but will go away after 1000 rpm but will comes back when it drop to 750 and in drive and reverse only. It's quiet while in park idling. My question is for the owners that did/repaired the rear timing chain: did this famous "death rattle" sounds like a bad torque converter? Thanks in advance for any feedback's!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Brookyln, over 200K but will be my first sohc. It's sound's like something inside the tranny bellhousing but I took it for a test drive and that thing gunned up to 80 mph without skipping a beat so it really doesn't seems like the TC for the tranny to shift that smooth. I guess I'll be hunting for a 05 and up Stang engine. Thanks!

Thanks, did that no change. Sounds coming from rear of engine/ bellhousing. My 97 have no PATS key and saw a 06 mustang 4.0 engine for 600.00. Since the 06 do have the PATS system, will there be any effects on the swap like a no start problem since it's a PATS system? Just checking to be sure what I'm getting into.

Mustang long block

It's easiest to use only the Mustang long block. That way the PCM will not know the engine was replaced. It avoids throttle by wire, PATS and other issues. Your 1997 has a crankcase breather that the Mustang will not have. You can pop out the Mustang core plug and insert the Explorer breather. The fuel injector seats are different. There are some other minor differences.

Here's some related threads:
Mustang SOHC engine swap coming...

Engine swap 98 sohc with 05 Mustang motor

Thanks for the infos. Most likely that's the way to go instead of fixing the timing chain and guide.

repair vs replace?

Repairing the engine by replacing the timing chain components is fairly complicated, time consuming and requires special tools. If not done correctly the engine can be damaged in the first few minutes after startup. OEM timing components and gaskets will cost around $400. The tool kit will cost about $200 but then it can be resold for $150. So for around $450 you'll have an old engine with new timing components. Purchasing a low mileage Mustang engine for $600 avoids the complicated timing chain replacement and the tool exchange cost. There were significant improvements in the timing chain components that were incorporated in the 2002 and later models. Unfortunately, the traction side of the right guide assembly was not reinforced with metal and is still subject to failure. Mine failed at 150,000 miles. So there is still risk of failure with a late model Mustang engine.

Wow thanks, that's good to know. I'm eyeballing a 06 Stang 4.0 here at a Charlotte junkyard with 20K on it and they asking 595 for it. Also at another yard they have a 06 Stang core only for 395.00 with 19K. I'm not in a rush since I'm driving a 95 EX with the older 4.0 so I'll just take my time removing the 97 sohc motor out.

Back