-Deathrow Update Log- | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

-Deathrow Update Log-

The parts should still be near $500 for Ford parts, the tool kit at least $150. The labor is a good day for a decent mechanic.

The SOHC needs excellent oil all the time, no dirty or cheap stuff, debris or sludge will mess with the tensioners fast. Keep the rpm's down, don't run it WOT through any gear to 5500rpm etc.

The higher costs of used vehicles make the repair an even better idea. Now it may be okay to buy a SOHC and perform the repair, just to sell the truck and make money. The 302 trucks are still the best bargain, but those you should plan to spend time doing the water pump, and have one or more bolts break. Thus that WP job is a big deal, so do that with time set aside for the bolt issue.
Found a couple of 351 broncos for about $3500, most of which have sat for a little while, but I know what all to do for thay situation anyway. Due to having to pull the engine, shop is going to charge out the wazoo most likely

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found a couple of 351 broncos for about $3500, most of which have sat for a little while, but I know what all to do for thay situation anyway. Due to having to pull the engine, shop is going to charge out the wazoo most likely
when i asked around a few years ago it was 4k to do the job!!! at that point throw in a remanned engine at this age! :banghead: imagine how much money we all wouldve spent if it A. wasnt for EF B. we couldnt perform our own repairs!

when i asked around a few years ago it was 4k to do the job!!! at that point throw in a remanned engine at this age! :banghead: imagine how much money we all wouldve spent if it A. wasnt for EF B. we couldnt perform our own repairs!
True, but an engine swap would be almost the same price since I can't do it at home, shop will charge out the wazoo for that if they agree to it. So as said, its 4-6k to fix it, or get something that won't have these kinds of issue and be older, making it easier to work on. So I hate to, but I know which path I'll take. But I'll probably post updates here either way, help other threads where I can too still

True, but an engine swap would be almost the same price since I can't do it at home, shop will charge out the wazoo for that if they agree to it. So as said, its 4-6k to fix it, or get something that won't have these kinds of issue and be older, making it easier to work on. So I hate to, but I know which path I'll take. But I'll probably post updates here either way, help other threads where I can too still
yeah, i understand! torn between fixing my current rig or getting an f series, or getting a v8 X and swapping parts over and keeping my current as a backup vehicle, as it would probably go back to stock... best of luck woth whichever parh you take!

Your numbers are to high. 5-6 k ripoff imo
Roughly
3k for a remain motor
1k to install or free if you do it yourself
Just saying

Just think you buy a new car and it breaks down.

At least if you do fix it you know what you have.

Anything with a 351 in it also going to need work ;)

Easier and cheaper to fix? Maybe

Having two vehicles is a good idea when we drive these old beaters that is for sure.

Anything with a 351 in it also going to need work ;)

Easier and cheaper to fix? Maybe

Having two vehicles is a good idea when we drive these old beaters that is for sure.
LOL, I have about as many as you do, but most of mine don't drive. ;)

Your numbers are to high. 5-6 k ripoff imo
Roughly
3k for a remain motor
1k to install or free if you do it yourself
Just saying

Just think you buy a new car and it breaks down.

At least if you do fix it you know what you have.
Why do I see most others get quoted between 4-6k? Anyone I ask, tells me it ain't worth it, tells me the same price. The shop quoted me 1k before so thay would make sense, whenever the seal comes in today I'll bring her in, said they probably can't take a look till tomorrow though.

If thats the cost, I'll do it in a heartbeat, rather than getting something else. Just odd that I got the quote, you say it too, but pretty much anything I read here or on facebook tells of a way different story, so I'm not sure what to believe anymore :laugh:

Yeah, I do agree, getting a used vehicle = unknown issues. I noticed that on mine, seemed great when I got her, but everytime I turn around, something new to replace! After this, will be the transfer case motor most likely, getting a little rusty down there! :laugh:

@410Fortune
Does the 351w have some common issues? From what I read, shared a lot of parts with the 302?

Two vehicles would be nice, especially if I go the bronco route I'd like to, bronco can become the special occasion driver or mudder, while the explorer stays basically where its at for daily use. But I ain't really got a place to store two, already five vehicles at my moms (not including the offroad golfcart) and four at my dads. Would be nice though!

LOL, I have about as many as you do, but most of mine don't drive. ;)
Sounds like ya got plenty of projects in your spare time then! 😂

Also, anyone ever try this style of radiator cap? Advanced down the road has this and the oem one, curious if this one is worth the $2 more

Screenshot_20220502-091947_Samsung Internet.jpg

The Bronco has rare parts to hunt, some rust is common on the tailgate etc. The 351 has the same water pump bolts to deal with, they use the same timing cover, thus the bolts too. Those are older than the Explorers, so it's an earlier generation of some items like the transfer cases. Most people who have them, do love them though.

The Bronco has rare parts to hunt, some rust is common on the tailgate etc. The 351 has the same water pump bolts to deal with, they use the same timing cover, thus the bolts too. Those are older than the Explorers, so it's an earlier generation of some items like the transfer cases. Most people who have them, do love them though.
The older ya go, the harder it is to find parts, I've only seen a bronco once at the junkyard I go to, sucker was stripped to hell and back, but it was there. Less electrical crap to deal with on the older ones (not by a lot since my main aim is a 90-96), plus its a bronco, there is SO much aftermarket and part demand for those, so thats not a huge concern? Yeah, a lot of what I see has rust either above the doors or on the tailgate, but if needed, bondo will help with that a little! 😂

I have a 86, 88, 97, 00, 01 all fords

The 86 f250 Bigfoot cruiser plow truck has 472 and a c6 auto bombproof setup! But it’s an 86. I had to rebuild the fuel system, re wire the entire ignition, new dist, new carb, lots of gaskets, fuel pump, fuel selector valve, rebuilt drivelines, rebuilt front axle ttb more than once now, rebuilt axles and seals, new exhaust hangers, new front and rear brakes, new brake hard lines, bulbs electrical switches etx and she still needs work but runs perfectly
Took the last 4 years to sort this all out

The engine, trans abs rear axle were all rebuilt just before I got her, and still she required tons of work and parts just to be up to snuff

That is one example of what happens when you bring home an older truck…. So the 351 in a fsb is awesome, but it’s old and it will require major overhaul

That is just the 86
I have done nothing to the body, windows, dash, doors, glass etx….yet

Also, anyone ever try this style of radiator cap? Advanced down the road has this and the oem one, curious if this one is worth the $2 more

View attachment 429070
ive got one on mine, i mean it hasnt reslly done anything the normal caps cant do, just it looks cool i guess? i mean it cents out pressure, but at that point i just ubscrew the cap 🤣

Why do I see most others get quoted between 4-6k? Anyone I ask, tells me it ain't worth it, tells me the same price. The shop quoted me 1k before so thay would make sense, whenever the seal comes in today I'll bring her in, said they probably can't take a look till tomorrow though.

If thats the cost, I'll do it in a heartbeat, rather than getting something else. Just odd that I got the quote, you say it too, but pretty much anything I read here or on facebook tells of a way different story, so I'm not sure what to believe anymore :laugh:

Yeah, I do agree, getting a used vehicle = unknown issues. I noticed that on mine, seemed great when I got her, but everytime I turn around, something new to replace! After this, will be the transfer case motor most likely, getting a little rusty down there! :laugh:

@410Fortune
Does the 351w have some common issues? From what I read, shared a lot of parts with the 302?

Two vehicles would be nice, especially if I go the bronco route I'd like to, bronco can become the special occasion driver or mudder, while the explorer stays basically where its at for daily use. But I ain't really got a place to store two, already five vehicles at my moms (not including the offroad golfcart) and four at my dads. Would be nice though!
think it depends largely on your location, and the effects of covid. here in CA, we ge trhe worst of both worlds as far as covid regulations setting everyone back, and making everything more scarce, the fact that shops can price gouge soightly now, as everyone seems to be needinf repairs, and also just location. youre in jacksonville, so a large area, probably has lots of people, same with LA. now if i were to go to say fresno, i think my price would go down a bit, so i think donalds is just soeaking from his experience based on where he lives, as bith of us live in large hughly populated areas... also if tou gk to shops in more "industrial" areas you tend to get better pricing imo

here in LA it was 4k for just timing chain work

and 3.5-4k+ whatever wngine you use

i got a quote as hugh as 6k fir removal and install 😶

I have a 86, 88, 97, 00, 01 all fords

The 86 f250 Bigfoot cruiser plow truck has 472 and a c6 auto bombproof setup! But it’s an 86. I had to rebuild the fuel system, re wire the entire ignition, new dist, new carb, lots of gaskets, fuel pump, fuel selector valve, rebuilt drivelines, rebuilt front axle ttb more than once now, rebuilt axles and seals, new exhaust hangers, new front and rear brakes, new brake hard lines, bulbs electrical switches etx and she still needs work but runs perfectly
Took the last 4 years to sort this all out

The engine, trans abs rear axle were all rebuilt just before I got her, and still she required tons of work and parts just to be up to snuff

That is one example of what happens when you bring home an older truck…. So the 351 in a fsb is awesome, but it’s old and it will require major overhaul

That is just the 86
I have done nothing to the body, windows, dash, doors, glass etx….yet
Man a 472 would be nice, ain't finding that easily though 😂

Definitely would need more work, but once it was done...man, it would be such a nice truck!

ive got one on mine, i mean it hasnt reslly done anything the normal caps cant do, just it looks cool i guess? i mean it cents out pressure, but at that point i just ubscrew the cap 🤣
So, not worth the $2 extra, got it lol

So, not worth the $2 extra, got it lol
looks pretty ;) and its another switch... but other than that it doesnt do anything i couldnt do before... ust unscrwwrd the top🤣 i havent found any other use yet, maybethere is one i just dunno about?

Any shop that charged that much to swap a engine
Should be out of biz in short order

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And its officially getting too far for me to deal with. I drained the oil to place the seal on the tensioner, didn't help, still leaks making the while dang engine bay smoke constantly, even found a small chunk of plastic in the oil, so its completely going. That and the idler pulley is just about gone, wobbling and needing to be fixed. Suspension still needs work, brakes are starting to go. Oil is also leaking from the drain plug, which I did know about before, never was bad enough to be in a huge rush for, but between that and the tensioner...fuel pump is also seeming to start having issues as well.

I hate it, especially with how much I've put into it, but either I'm paying $1500 to do the chains alone, $2400 for an engine (not including labor or anything), and attempting to fix other things; or I can just go find some thing else. I'll never turn my back on the explorer, will get another one at some point down the road, with a 5.0 already hopefully. But I can't keep up with everything breaking down on this one. Knowing my luck, especially right now, even if I decided to just store her and fix her, soon as I do, something like the transmission will go.

I'll give a 100% decision tomorrow hopefully, but I don't find it likely that I'll end up with this one staying around. As said though, I'll be back with another one down the road most likely, these trucks can be so nice.

Back