-Deathrow Update Log- | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

-Deathrow Update Log-

Brian here makes excellent leaf/shock mounts with the mounting ears upwards for lifted trucks. He has sold many of them to satisfied members, they are thicker and take bigger u-bolts/nuts. They also have a cover plated bottom, as skid plates.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brian here makes excellent leaf/shock mounts with the mounting ears upwards for lifted trucks. He has sold many of them to satisfied members, they are thicker and take bigger u-bolts/nuts. They also have a cover plated bottom, as skid plates.
Well I know what I need! Sorry I'm not great with names, so I'm not 100% on who that is

Give me a second to find his handle; here's his project thread.

Here's his thread where he began making those spring/shock skid plates;

I bought a pair from him with the normal shock mounts for my slightly lowered Mercury, I have to cut one of mine off(the shock bolt seized).

Give me a second to find his handle; here's his project thread.

Here's his thread where he began making those spring/shock skid plates;

I bought a pair from him with the normal shock mounts for my slightly lowered Mercury, I have to cut one of mine off(the shock bolt seized).
Thanks man, I'd love to order them, but if I go SOA, the skid plate won't help much on top of the leafs and I'm not sure how well they'll work for that?

Edit: read through the thread and he confirms with its setup, can't use it with SOA, too bad, would've been nice to have

Sorry, I forgot that about the SOA you're doing. I also didn't recall that the prices of steel went up so much too, we're in a crazy place right now.

Sorry, I forgot that about the SOA you're doing. I also didn't recall that the prices of steel went up so much too, we're in a crazy place right now.
That we are, absolutely wild how much things have gone up lately

Well, its finally done. The lift keys didn't fit so I just kept the stock ones and maxed them out, but she looks great! The Trakmotive CV axles seem to be working pretty well, taken through a ditch, up a curb, down backroads and highways, so far so good! Had to trim some of the plastic of the front bumper, fog light cover, and the skirt end on the front, but other than like 20 minutes of testing to find the perfect amount of trim, she works! Take her out on some actual trails in the next few days, after I get an alignment done. Next up, the dang f150 leafs at some point, and figuring out how to get this new heavy freaking tire onto the roof basket so I can latch it down.

20220304_150158(0).jpg 20220304_222322.jpg 20220304_222316.jpg 20220304_222312.jpg 20220304_222307.jpg 20220304_150207.jpg 20220304_134514(0).jpg 20220304_110302(0).jpg

figuring out how to get this new heavy freaking tire onto the roof basket so I can latch it down.

I'd take a wide long board (or a couple of 2x4s nailed so they're side by side, put a nail in each upper side to hook onto the basket, and slide it up and over. Worked for my 11500 w home air conditioner, must weigh 75 lbs. (went in the house window, not the truck roof, LOL)

figuring out how to get this new heavy freaking tire onto the roof basket so I can latch it down.

I'd take a wide long board (or a couple of 2x4s nailed so they're side by side, put a nail in each upper side to hook onto the basket, and slide it up and over. Worked for my 11500 w home air conditioner, must weigh 75 lbs. (went in the window, not the truck roof, LOL)
Not a bad idea, for now I think I'll just nab one of the guys from work to help me load it up. Yeah, I've seen some vans with air conditioners in the window, can't even imagine that hassle lol

Well she did good on the trls I took, only issue I had was that the 3.73s decided the 32s are too much and had some trouble pushing power. But otherwise it turned out well, the new CV axles handled everything just fine, I'd recommend the Trakmotive ones for others going the TT route. Too bad there wasn't any mud out there. About how much worse would the gas mileage be if I swapped to at least 4.10s?

20220308_085254.jpg 20220308_085237.jpg 20220308_085207(0).jpg 20220308_085150.jpg 20220308_084638.jpg 20220308_084620.jpg 20220308_084308.jpg 20220308_084241.jpg 20220308_081507.jpg 20220308_081438.jpg

VERY Slow. Last weekend I had to work and was not able to work on her at all. The weekend before was at Granddaughters house for her 10th birthday. BUT this coming weekend I will get to work on her. I am hoping to get a lot done. Will see what the Wife has for me to do LOL

VERY Slow. Last weekend I had to work and was not able to work on her at all. The weekend before was at Granddaughters house for her 10th birthday. BUT this coming weekend I will get to work on her. I am hoping to get a lot done. Will see what the Wife has for me to do LOL
Hopefully she ain't got a lot for you to do and you can finish! Need to get her done and back to tearing down the trails!

So, opinions, about half my driving most days is highway, or highway speeds. 4.10s from what I can find and figured, aren't happy with that, which is fine, can keep the speed down. But it'll help bring my acceleration and offroading capabilities back after my swap to 32s. But I want y'alls personal experience and opinions, would it be better to swap to the 4.10s from 3.73s for the sake of the tires? Gas mileage difference? Also, if so, what all has to be done to do that, can't find too much from the search I did other than the fact that they work nice with 33s.

With the 4.0 SOHC, I'd suggest 4.30 gears at least for the 32" tires. That would put it about where a stock 4WD SOHC truck is made, with 4.10's in most of those. My 99 has them, but for off road use you might want more gear than stock ratios.

With the 4.0 SOHC, I'd suggest 4.30 gears at least for the 32" tires. That would put it about where a stock 4WD SOHC truck is made, with 4.10's in most of those. My 99 has them, but for off road use you might want more gear than stock ratios.
So I'll say it again, gas mileage going to be a heck of a lot worse, one or two gallons will hurt but may be tolerable making about 15-16 on average now? Not exactly happy with gas prices these days. And I don't get to trail as much these days due to work and truck work itself, but 4.30s wouldn't be bad for actual power to the wheels, switch to lockers while I'm at it? Or keep the limited slip?

If you don't drive a lot of highway miles, the extra gas won't be that much different for the bigger gear ratios.

I bet you will be wanting the better locker diff, at least in the rear, sooner than other things. I know those aren't cheap either, but I'd try to do that with the gear change.

If you don't drive a lot of highway miles, the extra gas won't be that much different for the bigger gear ratios.

I bet you will be wanting the better locker diff, at least in the rear, sooner than other things. I know those aren't cheap either, but I'd try to do that with the gear change.
Every other week, I'm across the river from work, meaning I have to be on the highway for a few minutes, beyond that its 15 minutes to work on backroads, out of a out a 20 minute drive. The other week is straight up backroads. But if I want to go anywhere like I did today to trail, highway for at least 20-30 minutes unless I want a 40-50 minute drive. So it's more 75% city and 25% highway, so maybe not so bad? Lockers ain't cheap at all, but I know they're nice offroad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds like my mostly city driving type. I'd opt for a bigger gear than a highway gear, you shouldn't notice the difference in fuel cost with them. My 99 will touch 20mpg on the highway, but that's at a steady speed on level road. With 3.73's it would probably gain 1-2mpg, no big deal for how little I ever drove it at higher speeds.

Your tires are heavier than stock, a lot, they will hurt fuel mileage, but are also much harder to accelerate. So your choice is fairly easy, lean to the big gear range to improve all around performance, and the mileage hit will still be minor. Jamie here has driven tons of his Explorers and Bronco II(V8) in all conditions, he would likely say 4.56 gears or close to that. OEM Ford rear gears are not expensive, still, the fronts cost a little more depending on brands.

Back