-Deathrow Update Log- | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

-Deathrow Update Log-

That sounds like my mostly city driving type. I'd opt for a bigger gear than a highway gear, you shouldn't notice the difference in fuel cost with them. My 99 will touch 20mpg on the highway, but that's at a steady speed on level road. With 3.73's it would probably gain 1-2mpg, no big deal for how little I ever drove it at higher speeds.

Your tires are heavier than stock, a lot, they will hurt fuel mileage, but are also much harder to accelerate. So your choice is fairly easy, lean to the big gear range to improve all around performance, and the mileage hit will still be minor. Jamie here has driven tons of his Explorers and Bronco II(V8) in all conditions, he would likely say 4.56 gears or close to that. OEM Ford rear gears are not expensive, still, the fronts cost a little more depending on brands.
So now I guess the question is, jump up to 4.56s, or go with the 4.30. I don't ever tow anything, not yet at least, found an amazing deal on a mudder that I may have to break on and tow home and around, but other than that. Could go up to the .56 since eventually I'll be lifting her a bit more and once these tires go bad, see about going bigger. Rather than swapping gears again down the line

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds like my mostly city driving type. I'd opt for a bigger gear than a highway gear, you shouldn't notice the difference in fuel cost with them. My 99 will touch 20mpg on the highway, but that's at a steady speed on level road. With 3.73's it would probably gain 1-2mpg, no big deal for how little I ever drove it at higher speeds.

Your tires are heavier than stock, a lot, they will hurt fuel mileage, but are also much harder to accelerate. So your choice is fairly easy, lean to the big gear range to improve all around performance, and the mileage hit will still be minor. Jamie here has driven tons of his Explorers and Bronco II(V8) in all conditions, he would likely say 4.56 gears or close to that. OEM Ford rear gears are not expensive, still, the fronts cost a little more depending on brands.
So, I should be able to get these two, take it to a shop, and be done with no issues? Of course I'd buy two of the regearing kit so the front matches and I don't destroy the truck, but it's not missing anyrhing I need? Just take it up with these, ask them to do the regearing and the locker while its apart? Sorry, I don't have the most background knowledge on this stuff, I got a general idea of it all, but not enough to be 100%.

That first link to an Aussie diff, is only for an open diff install. If you have an LS now, the factory clutch diff, then that unit won't go into it.

That 2nd link is to a non Ford 8.8 gear set, I would avoid that. The Ford gears have a much better reputation of having no installation issues, no noises etc, easier to set up the pinion bearings etc.

Here's one link of first page I searched for "8.8 Ford ring gear 4.56", the $165 price is likely typical. Not may big sellers carry the Ford gears, but I found many when I was hunting 3.08:1 gears.
Here's another link for Ford 4.56 gears, note shipping isn't part of pricing I'm sure;

The front gears I discovered choices are more limited, so hunt a better brand. I chose Dana/Spicer, who is right behind Ford for the best gears, there are several lesser brands and a couple others just behind the Spicer too.

Here's a front Spicer ring and pinion, $300 which seems typical for the front gears(better brands);

That first link to an Aussie diff, is only for an open diff install. If you have an LS now, the factory clutch diff, then that unit won't go into it.

That 2nd link is to a non Ford 8.8 gear set, I would avoid that. The Ford gears have a much better reputation of having no installation issues, no noises etc, easier to set up the pinion bearings etc.

Here's one link of first page I searched for "8.8 Ford ring gear 4.56", the $165 price is likely typical. Not may big sellers carry the Ford gears, but I found many when I was hunting 3.08:1 gears.
Here's another link for Ford 4.56 gears, note shipping isn't part of pricing I'm sure;

The front gears I discovered choices are more limited, so hunt a better brand. I chose Dana/Spicer, who is right behind Ford for the best gears, there are several lesser brands and a couple others just behind the Spicer too.

Here's a front Spicer ring and pinion, $300 which seems typical for the front gears(better brands);
Thank you, do you right off hand have a link for a better locker choice? If not I'll go back and search again in a few

The kits to rebuild a diff, seems to run up near $150, the bearings are fairly expensive for all of them. So you could buy individual bearings etc, but the other small kits items are needed too, and they would make the total more than the kits in most cases. The total costs are high, when you add gears to the kits, plus a rear diff, and then labor, ouch.

The kits to rebuild a diff, seems to run up near $150, the bearings are fairly expensive for all of them. So you could buy individual bearings etc, but the other small kits items are needed too, and they would make the total more than the kits in most cases. The total costs are high, when you add gears to the kits, plus a rear diff, and then labor, ouch.
Haven't gotten back to the locker search, but there, both the kit and the 4.56 regearing from Ford themselves

The diff, you might want to wait and just do clutches in your old rear one. The clutch kit is under $100, but it looks like any differential better than the stock LS, is above $450 at a quick search. There are a few lunch box units just like the one you linked to first, but they all have to be used in an open diff. Above that upper $400 mark is the one I preferred and paid about $540 two years ago, the Detroit True Trac, but it's $600(913A561Amazon) now. For what the rest is going to cost, is that new diff, too much?

I found the 8.8 LS rebuild clutch kit on Advance Auto, an aftermarket kit that came with two extra clutch pieces, for about $90 long ago. That one will let the person doing the clutches, alternate the steels with frictions, and gain one more per side. Stock LS has three clutch pieces per side, using multiple steels. Leaving out one steel, makes room for one more friction.

The diff, you might want to wait and just do clutches in your old rear one. The clutch kit is under $100, but it looks like any differential better than the stock LS, is above $450 at a quick search. There are a few lunch box units just like the one you linked to first, but they all have to be used in an open diff. Above that upper $400 mark is the one I preferred and paid about $540 two years ago, the Detroit True Trac, but it's $600(913A561Amazon) now. For what the rest is going to cost, is that new diff, too much?

I found the 8.8 LS rebuild clutch kit on Advance Auto, an aftermarket kit that came with two extra clutch pieces, for about $90 long ago. That one will let the person doing the clutches, alternate the steels with frictions, and gain one more per side. Stock LS has three clutch pieces per side, using multiple steels. Leaving out one steel, makes room for one more friction.
Yeah, I got some of that, but as said, not the most knowledgeable on these. I don't mind doing the detroit one if it's good and worth the price. But what would leaving one steel out for more room do?

The factory LS isn't that strong, serious off roading people all end up requiring a stronger diff(how strongly it holds one wheel to the other). The LS has six clutches in it, adding one more friction to each side for eight total, just makes it slightly stronger. But it has to be set up pretty tight anyway, the clearance between the clutches, plus the LS spring(which needs to be the strongest model and fairly new), that makes them a step below the nicer aftermarket diffs.

So you can make do in most off roading, until you get to more serious stuff where the wheels are about off the ground etc.

The factory LS isn't that strong, serious off roading people all end up requiring a stronger diff(how strongly it holds one wheel to the other). The LS has six clutches in it, adding one more friction to each side for eight total, just makes it slightly stronger. But it has to be set up pretty tight anyway, the clearance between the clutches, plus the LS spring(which needs to be the strongest model and fairly new), that makes them a step below the nicer aftermarket diffs.

So you can make do in most off roading, until you get to more serious stuff where the wheels are about off the ground etc.
I don't go as far as like rock climbing, but there as some areas that I'll attempt climbing up a hill, still not rock climb level but kind of close. What do you think overall would be best? New, stronger diff or just regear mine? Cheaper and easier, more beneficial down the line

That Ford accessories site has a discount for this month of 15%, a good deal. I'll probably buy my 3.08 gear and kit there. Note it's one time only, and you must be registered first.

That's a personal choice for your vehicle, how serious of trails you go on. There have been many threads here about when a better differential is needed, I defer to those real off road guys like Jamie and Greg etc, those who have tried many of these parts personally.

I'm chatting with a guy now at the Ford accessories site, for the front gear. I don't think Ford made a 4.56 front gear, but if they do have it, the sale could save you $45 if it's $300 as I expect.

That's a personal choice for your vehicle, how serious of trails you go on. There have been many threads here about when a better differential is needed, I defer to those real off road guys like Jamie and Greg etc, those who have tried many of these parts personally.

I'm chatting with a guy now at the Ford accessories site, for the front gear. I don't think Ford made a 4.56 front gear, but if they do have it, the sale could save you $45 if it's $300 as I expect.
Let me know how that goes, might as well save some cash. I don't think I get to go often enough or do crazy enough to be worth a new diff, when I either get another vehicle as an offroader or have another daily, it'll be a different story. Like I'd love to straight axle her, but I don't have the time or money for that. Once shes equipped I'd be more willing for crazier stuff

The many couldn't do anything more without a VIN, and likely he doesn't have the data system that a local dealer does. You might check with a dealer to see if they make a 4.56 front gear set, or search more online. It's hard online due to so many other brand choices, it's not broken down clearly in most places, sites.

It sounds like you will be fine to rebuild your rear diff, and just get the front/rear some new gears.

The many couldn't do anything more without a VIN, and likely he doesn't have the data system that a local dealer does. You might check with a dealer to see if they make a 4.56 front gear set, or search more online. It's hard online due to so many other brand choices, it's not broken down clearly in most places, sites.
I can see about asking around, thanks!

Keep at it, most of us are planning things, and then spend a chunk of money occasionally.

Keep at it, most of us are planning things, and then spend a chunk of money occasionally.
Oh yeah, I'm pretty much going to guarentee one day she'll be straight axled on some 35s at least. But yeah, need the funds and place for it. Depleted my funds a good chunk for the current setup, need to get back to saving and find a job with more pay.

I'll post this up on facebook as well, but I ordered a 98+ steel ranger bumper to throw on. Need ro recoat it, got some surface rust, but overall not bad. Its 3/8 and 1/4 thick, even has two other outer mounts that even the seller isn't sure what were for, says maybe for installing it on a larger truck? So if all goes well and this goes on, I'll be getting rid of the current brush guard and bumper if someones interested. I'll go to the sales section of the forum and post it there when I do.

received_7160648747342176.jpeg received_1155196548549588.jpeg received_1771177889939962.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a small update: swapped out the green lens for a blue one from a '97.

Edit: some picture at night

20220313_144331.jpg 20220313_220721.jpg 20220313_220714.jpg

Back