Debating on replacing trans | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Debating on replacing trans

Reaction score
City, State
waldorf, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Ok so since I bought my truck October 2008 it has always had this problem that seems like the torque converter doesnt lockup really till about 3000rpms. The trans wasnt treated very well by the previous owner, fluid was flushed at about 90,000 the first time then left alone until I flushed it at 195,000 after I bought it. It still did the 3000rpm lockup before I flushed the trans after I bought it, so the flush is unrelated.
I will be going down the road and say i want to accellerate, no matter what speed im going when it downshifts it goes right to 3000rpms and continues to accellerate, just fairly slowly. The trans itself is not slipping so to speak because I have had that happen in other cars and this is nothing like it, it still pulls it just acts as if it has a 3000rpm stall converter in the truck. MY guess is that through the bad treatment the former owner put it through has damaged the internals of the TC thus kind of loosening it up from its factory stall point to where it is now.
Now this is the dilemma, the trans is great, shifts fine, firm, never jerky or anything. BUT it has 208,000 miles on it now and I do some light towing occasionally, maybe 3500lbs max. Would it be too risky to throw a TC in it and keep rockin with the old trans? I was quoted 2400$ for a reman from jasper with a new TC, so its not too bad but if I can save 2400 bucks i would like to do so.
And lastly, am I way off base thinking this could be a TC problem? I am by no means a automatic trans pro. I work on cars all the time but an automatic trans has never been in my field of studies.

15 views no replies :(
Now I am thinking about using my Ford Manual and rebuilding the trans myself. I have a full detailed step by step disassembly with illustrations and full reassembly as well.

Back