debating to fix or replace the engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

debating to fix or replace the engine

KobeJ05

Reaction score
City, State
Marina, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer 157k miles
i have a 94 explorer and as all you know i did a compression test on my cyls i got 120psi all around except i couldnt really do that last cyl on the passenger side by the fire wall. is 120psi instead of being 170 or 180psi means i have alot of miles on the motor? if so should i find a lower mile engine? my mechanic gonna charge me 500 dollars in labor to replace the head gasket sets and getting the heads checked out and cleaned. so i wanted to ask for your opinion. thanks im just really confused right now not sure what i want to do. a used engine with alittle bit lower miles would be between 500 to 800 bucks and 450 to install. thanks

alfred013.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is a very clean X and if you are planning on keeping it you may want to get a quote for a rebuilt motor or getting your current motor rebuilt. It might cost a bit more than installing a used engine but you would at least be confident that the engine would not develop issues in the near future. The other option is pay the $500 now and just run the motor into the dirt and then replace it.

update on weither fixing the engine or replacing it

i have a 9 explorer and i was loseing water every 2 days and i thought i had got the rings and a few injectors replaced in april turns out a few days ago calling the mechanic in wa who had did the wrok changed his story and said he just replaced the head on the passenger side cause it was cracked. well turns out i was haveing the same problem again so took it i turns out my lower intake manifold is leaking in the front on the passenger side. i was told there is no new head on the passenger side and i can just see the head gaskets were just replaced only. i have my mechanic documenting everythng down with pics. im tryin to get the receipt up in wa he aparently told my mom it was in the glove well i didnt think of it when i took the truck to look in the glove for the receipt. so im hopeing she will get the receipt so i can confront this guy and ask him why he lied to me on replaceing the head. so right now my explorer stting in the shop to be worked on here in cali. they are replaceing the manifold gasket set. im hopeing its not too late to turn this guy in for false work that he had said he done. hope this all make sense im tired lol/ to make it short the mechanic in wa said it was the rings and a few fuel injectors that was wrong with the explorer this was in april so supposely he changed those. then i called him a few days ago asked what he replaced and he said its just the head on the passenger side he replaced. the mechanic in cali i recently took too said that there is no new heads on my car at all and all he sees is new gaskets. so right now my lower intake manifold gasket leaking and hes gonna document everything. so im hopeing i can get some of my money bak rom the so called head job i had done.

I combined your 2 threads to make it easier to follow.

~Mark

The other option is pay the $500 now and just run the motor into the dirt and then replace it.

:rolleyes: I'm doing that... kinda. But at heart I'm still a kid and how do most kids drive? :D

My motor is still going strong but then main bearings knocking around when I'm on the highway or going up a hill is just plain annoying. :(

I plan on having my current engine rebuilt sometime next year, It's going to cost between $1,350 to $2,500 Maybe more. That's my guesstimated price, Depending on what all is replaced I guess.

The guy who was going to rebuild it got drunk a few nights ago and sold every tool he had for $25, So now he no longer has the tools to rebuild mine. I'll try to get an estimate from a local shop. I'll just guess it will be over $2,000 for them to rebuild it.

From my experience of swapping engine's you can really get a good feel for the vehicle you drive. Also get the chance to replace somethings while your at it. I will most likely be replacing my radiator, all my radiator hoses and connectors when I swap mine.

Not really sure what the OP's problem is but you could buy some new heads online and put them on yourself. Just get the right ones for the year your looking at. I wouldn't pay $500 to have a mechanic check out old heads.

the explorers gonna be ready monday. hes gonna drive it around monday make sure the intake not leaking anymore. but basicly my engine is warn and will need to be replaced or rebuilt down the road.

the explorers gonna be ready monday. hes gonna drive it around monday make sure the intake not leaking anymore. but basicly my engine is warn and will need to be replaced or rebuilt down the road.

How many miles does your explorer have? Mine is almost 185k miles, I need to replace my main bearings but other then that mine runs fine. Minus a few small issues.

the body has 152k engine and trans is uknown i bought it at a dealer at 120k they just had put in a used motor and trans guess they wanted the low mile eng and trans and put a high mileage in mine. wouldnt doubt if its close to 3ook

got my car back everythings good

Back