Debut of 2016 Explorer | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Debut of 2016 Explorer

I was at the car show as well and loved the new look. I was disappointed that it was roped off. I was also surprised that they had the limited and not the new Platinum trim on display.

Regardless, it is much nicer in person IMO. Great job Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not sure why that article was even written. The pricing was on Ford's build and price site the day the 16 was revealed.

I haven't checked to see if there have been any changes. I think it just adds a brief description of the options available with each model without having to go to the website and doing the Price & Build. One interesting thing I noticed was that if you buy the Sport and add the options listed in the article, the cost is only $1705 under the price of the Platinum.

Peter

It was the same way when I ordered my 2015 F350 Platinum. I priced a loaded Lariat out with every option I wanted and it was $1,600 more to go with the Platinum. Better more plush leather, unique rims and grill, heated steering wheel, unique emblems.. was well worth the $23 more a month to go all out.

I just brought home a new 2015 Limited (+ 302a + adaptive cruise) in magnet metallic. My first Ford vehicle and my first post here!

The 2016's look sharp but the changes from the 2015 are minor unless you're into the 4 cyl. ecbooost. I'm happy with what I got (for 45k before taxes, fees, and warranty.)!

1CVzE0a.jpg

2016 - Self Cleaning Cameras

Way to go Ford - A self cleaning camera is really needed on the Explorer, at least in parts of the country that get rain and snow. Having to clean the backup camera almost every day is a bug bear of mine, if I don't it gets covered in gunk and is pretty much useless.

Soooo...

Are there any details on the new camera assembly and if it could be retrofitted to the Pre - 2016's? I know I would be first in line at the parts counter for one if there were.

Funny- I was just discussing this with someone an hour ago. If a retro-fit isn't feasible, my plan has been to route the rear windshield washer hose with a Y and a nozzle pointing at the lens. Usually the rear glass needs cleaning at the same time anyway.

Waiting to see what the new one looks like...

I went to the 2016 website and it seems that none of the '16 models have HID headlights, only Halogen with LED DRLs, or did I miss something?

I went to the 2016 website and it seems that none of the '16 models have HID headlights, only Halogen with LED DRLs, or did I miss something?
No HID is correct. Low beams are LED and high beam is Halogen. DRL is also LED.

Peter

Which "should" be good (good light and lower power need) and allows the wig-wag for the Utility Interceptor as well (the halogen highs)

Pete dont we have hid now on the 2014 ltd.

Pete dont we have hid now on the 2014 ltd.
Yes, for all Canadian Limiteds. I believe it is optional on the American ones. No longer available on the 2016's.

Peter

Peterk9 . Isn't hid better than halogen ?

Peterk9 . Isn't hid better than halogen ?
I haven't had halogen in the Explorer so it is difficult to compare but as a rule HID headlamps are better than the halogen ones. As you know, there are many members here who have switched to HID because of what they claim was poor lighting from the OEM halogens.
I thought they might have gone with LED low and HID high instead of halogen high. I don't know if the LED's remain on when you switch to high on the halogens or if they go off. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Peter

THIS IS A VERY WELL EQUIPPED EXPLORER. INFINITI, AUDI. ETC... WILL BE ALOT MORE $$$
PKG 606

2016 EXPLORER PLATINUM 4WD
BASE MSRP $52,600
Total of Options $75
Destination Charges $895
Subtotal $53,570
Available Incentives $0
NET PRICE $53,570

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The one I built on the U.S. site came to $54,935. White platinum and 2nd row buckets with console was all I added. My dealer quoted me $61,400 here for the same thing. Unfortunately the Canadian site doesn't have the 'Build & Price' feature yet to confirm. BTW, my Lincoln MKT was just under $59k. It is no doubt that the Platinum is an expensive addition to the line.

Peter

Back