Debut of 2016 Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Debut of 2016 Explorer

i have a 15 F350 Platinum and if the leather in the Explorer Plat is the same, it is a HUGE improvement in comfort. Looking at the video, it looks to be the same light grey so I'm guessing it will be just a plush and soft as my F350. My truck is MUCH more comfortable then the Ex.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I better start saving a few bucks here and there if I'm going Platinum.
I'd like to see what the other models look like as well.

Thanks Glockfan.

Peter

I affraid few bucks would be not enough...

You're right Denis. Although we haven't had much snow here, perhaps I take my snow shovel door to door and make some extra $$. :D
At least I have some time to save up. Current lease runs to April 1, 2017

Peter

I'll probably be going to the show next week, so I can snap a few pictures if you guys would like. Or if there are any questions about it, I can find out.;)

I'm anxious to see it in person. I'm not impressed by the pictures. I like most of the changes but the front end is a huge step back. I like the interior updates but not the center stack, I like the look of the glossy black vs matte.

Looks like ford has been listening to its customers. They addressed many of the common complaints such as tight 2nd row legroom, awkward front foot well, lack of front parking sensors/camera, tactile center console buttons. Cool at they added auto perpendicular parking and foot operated tailgate sensor.

Not a huge fan of the front end though. It's nice but forgettable.

I appreciate all the improvements in the perceived quality of the interior such as the stitching on the dash and doors. Steering wheel looks nice too. At said, I think the doors look a bit busy.

Pick wonder if we can get features like the front parking sensor and the perpendicular parking with a software upgrade

Hmm still no retractable grab handle bars? What is it with American SUVs not having grab handle bars? European, Japanese, Korean and even Chinese Autos have grab handle bars.

I wonder if the new exhaust tip design eliminated the smell coming inside.

And finally, they upgraded to 2.3 liter! It should be 2.5 liter in my opinion.

I noticed the front passenger foot well also being weird when I stretched: right leg is limited. I dont think they changed it for this model. Or did they?

I'm anxious to see it in person. I'm not impressed by the pictures. I like most of the changes but the front end is a huge step back. I like the interior updates but not the center stack, I like the look of the glossy black vs matte.

Yes, the front grille reminds me of what I had on my 2004 Explorer. I want to see what, if any, changes they made on the lower level models, XLT, Limited, and Sport. I'm not a fan of paying $50,000+ for what is essentially a $35,000 SUV. I don't need all the electronic gizmos, wood grain, leather, etc. But Ford sees a way to make a $15,000 to $20,000 premium on the EX, and I predict they will sell a lot of them.

BTW, putting the fog lights in the "dimples" on the front fascia is an improvement, IMO, and the headlights look better designed, and maybe they will provide more light! The grille, I can do without.

2016_ford_explorer_01_1.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/19/2016-ford-explorer-official-reveal-la-2014/#continued

2016_ford_explorer_02_1.jpg

2016_ford_explorer_07_1.jpg

2016_ford_explorer_detail_07_1.jpg

Right now, around 23 percent of all Ford vehicles sold in the United States is a utility vehicle. By 2020, Ford expects that figure to increase all the way to 29 percent. Put simply, SUVs and crossovers are very big business at Ford. So, when it comes time to update the Explorer, Ford's original sport utility vehicle, you can be sure that a whole heck of a lot of effort goes into the process.

The 2016 Ford Explorer isn't rewriting the book on how the automaker goes about building its current crop of SUVs. At first blush, there isn't any radically new exterior styling to draw in the eye, but what has been updated is meaningful, and a new Platinum trim level, which will slot in above Sport and Limited trims, is noteworthy.

The biggest item that's new for 2016, though, is found underhood, with a 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder taking over where the previous 2.0-liter unit left off. With 270 horsepower and 300 pound-feet of torque, the new slightly larger engine boasts 13 percent more horses and 11 percent more torque than the old engine, and Ford expects no fuel economy penalty. There's no official EPA rating yet, but Ford says the 2.3-liter engine should hit 28 miles per gallon on the highway, just as the 2.0 did last year.

The new 2.3 EcoBoost will be available on base, XLT and Limited trim levels. A 3.5-liter V6, estimated at 290 horsepower and 255 lb-ft, remains standard, and the 365-horsepower EcoBoost 3.5 is standard on Sport and Platinum models. All engines are mated to a six-speed automatic transmission, and four-wheel drive is available across the range, even on the 2.3 EcoBoost (the older 2.0 EcoBoost could only be paired with front-wheel drive).
Platinum trim brings the Explorer in line with the likes of Denali from GMC and Summit from Jeep. The Explorer Platinum's brushed aluminum exterior trim and standard 20-inch wheels look pretty classy to our eyes, and the interior is definitely a step up from what's previously been available in the Explorer – the automaker says the Explorer Platinum boasts the softest leather ever used in a Ford vehicle – and the traditional Ford Blue Oval on the steering wheel is no longer blue on this top trim, instead being brushed aluminum like the exterior bits.

Technology updates for the 2016 model year run include new exterior camera systems that now feature washers, automated parking systems that can both help park and then later help pull back out of the spot, a hands-free liftgate and active grille shutters that adjust to control aerodynamics and airflow.

Arie Groeneveld, chief engineer for the new Explorer, suggests high expectations for the new 2016 model, "It's a tall order, but we're aiming to build the best SUV in the world." We'll have to wait until we can drive it to know how to respond to such boasts, but in the meantime, we welcome you to check out our high-res image galleries and the press release down below.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/19/2...014/#continued

:thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

Something else I noticed is that the instrument cluster has been redesigned. It appears to have a much larger central screen vs. one analogue cluster with two lateral smaller ones.

NICE!

...if they rivet a front plate to this I will barf...:eek:

Wonder if new Sony button system can be fit into current MY up to 2015?
..is there any mention of MFT or other system?
Ford media site images show MFT...

Still Hankook as well. Looks like the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2. At least that is the one shown in the pictures above.

Overall I'd say I like it. Was sort of hoping that the 3.5L Ecoboost would have been an option for the Limited. It has the same style steering wheel as in my MKT with the wood trim section.

Peter

I like the additional options you can now get but I do not know if it would have been enough for me to spend the extra money on it over the sport.

I do like the LED lights but it is about time on those.

I was worried I would love the new look after I just bought a 2015 sport but I am happy I did not wait for the platinum. I actually really dislike the grill.

I am sure the 2016 sport will be very nice but I also do not like buying the first generation of a new look. Granted this is not a complete re-design but it is still different.

Overall though, I am glad to see there will be more tech options when I am ready to buy a new one!

I like new style as well. Good they dumped 2.0l EB completely!
Wish they could dump 3.5l NA as well and replace it with 2.7l EB.
Now we need 5.0l EB and kind of super-duper-limited-titanium-platinum :D

Not surprised with the features, many of them if not all available on new Edge, so it was expectable...
Ford should've gone further with wireless charging...

I wish they could introduce Adaptive cruise to be able to stop the car if needed and accelerate again. on the current model it disables at low speed.

and I remember of arguing regarding LED headlights:
"For the exterior, signature lighting surrounds the LED headlamps, giving Explorer Platinum a continuous glow."

What I found interesting was the statement that LED lighting was on the low beams. No mention of what is used for high beam lighting.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back