Debut of 2016 Explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Debut of 2016 Explorer

IMHO, the front end looks way to busy/cluttered. Based on the photos, I like the front end of the current one. Then again, I don't really care, since I don't see myself buying another explorer in 1.5 years.
Oh, does it have the aluminum hood as well? In case you did not know, the paint on those hoods tend to bubble up and crack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm glad they added a permanent tachometer, I hate our dashboard. The removal of capacitive buttons is nice as well.

Sport model doesn't add too much in terms of options. I already have the order guide for the 2016 Explorer.

Does the SPORT stay with basic options as 2015 model year has or a couple new ones?

Be nice if we could ala carte build ourselves.

The cameras on the Platinum are very well executed.

Just not a fan of wood grain and chrome ......monochromatic is more appealing.

Meh. Front end does not work for me. Actually looks older, more dated than 5th gen. to me being more squared off, but that may be to appeal to previous model Ex owners who like the old look. Does give it more of a traditional SUV look, but I bought the 5th gen. liking its more modern, rounded looks while still being aggressive and SUV-like to me. Wonder what color the grill will be on other models? Might look better darker.

I like the interior appointments and new all digital instrument cluster. Don't like wood in anything but high end sedans, so hopefully an aluminum option.

Not bad, but since I bought my used 2011 a year ago to last 8+ years, I'm not crying that my present Ex looks old or dated. Anyone not into cars might think the present Ex is the newer model.

Also not crazy the squared exhaust tips and aluminum look around them. Reminds me of the high trim level Land Rover Evoque. Looks OK on the Evoque, but then, that is a small, "cute" SUV that women like.

I'll be curious what the exhaust looks like on the lower trim models.

In looking at it more, no doubt they tried to make the front-end more aggressive and old style SUV-like. I think it will work for a lot of people. I just liked the unique 5th gen. look that I still thought was aggressive but modern, so the new model is not jumping out at me.

No worries for Ford as I'm holding for many years.

Well, it is packed with features and technologies, but...
I would wait for new QNX-based infotainment system to see what it offers and for new 8 or 9 speed (may be even 10-speed?) gearbox which is being developed by Ford-GMC (promised to be on the market in next couple of years).

one of the most important thing is that heated/cooled seats now have physical buttons on dash unlike mine (the thing I hate the MOST!)

Oh, does it have the aluminum hood as well? In case you did not know, the paint on those hoods tend to bubble up and crack

They have used aluminum hoods for a long time. My '06 has one.

The "Expanded Metal"-look grill is awful.

No need to replace my '13

I don't like the outside. I think it's lost some of its identity. The grill looks very cluttered and I really don't like reflector type headlight housings, whether they're LED or not. For some reason it reminds me of a 2008 Suzuki Vitara!
2007_suzuki_xl7_4dr-suv_limited_fq_oem_2_500.jpg

I do like the interior though and some of the new features. The new dash looks interesting (waiting to see it in practice) and adding physical buttons to the center stack is a good move. I would have liked to have seen air/adjustable suspension added but that's not something a refresh was likely to get.

I like the extra technology, especially the washing of the cameras. The wider footwells will be welcomed. I also like the buttons on the center dash to control everything. I love the looks of my '15 Sport though.

Guess there will be a Platinum model after all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sport model doesn't add too much in terms of options. I already have the order guide for the 2016 Explorer.

What has changed from the 2015 Sport to the 2016 Sport? Any additional options that are now available on the 2016 Sport?

Thanks,
Dave

Back