Decided to do a little Krylon Fusion work. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Decided to do a little Krylon Fusion work.

RoadBully

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Saint John, NB
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLS '02
Front Before
Explorer.jpg

After
Picture016.jpg

Rear Before
BeforeRear.jpg

After
explorerrear.jpg

I think it looks pretty good.
Not bad for 30 bucks and 4 hours of my time.

Cheers

Ben.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great! So much better then stock!

...man, that looks SWEEEET..:eek:..i haven't seen it done in white before and it really updates the vehicle...some new tires and wheels would make it a nice street machine...:thumbsup: on the great job...

wow, looks great. I've been wanting to do that to my girl's Xterra. I'm constantly wiping down the trim with "back to black" on those flat grey panels. How did you prep the surface?

You've got wheels/tires and lifted coil springs coming for that thing too right?

Yup it dosent look like a stripped down XLS, i looks like limited or XLT now, happy painting me brota

wow, looks great. I've been wanting to do that to my girl's Xterra. I'm constantly wiping down the trim with "back to black" on those flat grey panels. How did you prep the surface?

You've got wheels/tires and lifted coil springs coming for that thing too right?

Yeah, I've already got my tires, My rims should be here next week, and probably 2 or 3 weeks for my lift springs.

To prep it I just cleaned it as well as possible, Took everything off to paint it.
To be honest there are flaws when up close, but even with those, I think it's much better than stock. :thumbsup:

Ben.

that's alright, every plastic surgery has it's scar

I saw your thread about the wheels/tires and lift and thought...That truck would look sweet with color matched bumpers.

looks great bro, good job!

that's alright, every plastic surgery has it's scar

I saw your thread about the wheels/tires and lift and thought...That truck would look sweet with color matched bumpers.
HAHA, I guess we're on the same page. :thumbsup:

I asked Bigapple how well his Fusion paint was holding up, its been a couple years and he says it's still good.
But even if the stuff peels off, I'll have it professionally painted this way, I couldn't go back to the flat gray bumpers.

Ben.

I really like it, did the same thing with mine..

WTF! and I'm *****in about my tacky trim (in other threads). How can I be down? Where's the write up?

WTF! and I'm *****in about my tacky trim (in other threads). How can I be down? Where's the write up?

Haha, wasn't really enough involved to do a write up.
4 bolts on the front bumper, plus 4 screws into the flares.
All of those stupid Snaps holding the stock flares on.
I just took everything off, and gave it all a couple coats of Krylon Fusion, in gloss white, and then used a clear Krylon Top coat.

Took me about 4 hours start to finish, the stuff dries in no time.
Went to the car wash after, to take of any overspray, or dust, and everything help up good to the pressure washer.

Any questions, feel free to ask. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Ben.

No sanding or primer?? I have a couple coats of glossy, would I need that sand blasted off first?

AND YOUR VEHICLE LOOKS BAD@SS! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Looks good! How many coats of paint/clear did you use?

def no primer, the Krylon fusion is meant to be painted directly on plastic.
I did two fairly thick coats of color, and one good coat of clear.
I just gave it a good scrubbing first, no sand blasting.
Ben

def no primer, the Krylon fusion is meant to be painted directly on plastic.
I did two fairly thick coats of color, and one good coat of clear.
I just gave it a good scrubbing first, no sand blasting.
Ben

i think since u went with a good clear coat itll last much longer... i made the mistake of not putting a clear over mine so its faded a bit... not a bunch but its somewhat noticable up close... im looking for some good rivets i can replace the stock ones with cuz when u pull the trim off to paint it, it destroys the rivets... ive been searching and im gunna add a new clear coat pretty soon

all in all, a sharp looking modification... props

Thanks for the comments guys, glad you like it.

Ben.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks great >?! it doesnt match at all!

Well welcome aboard.
I'm aware the color doesn't match.
But in my opinion it looks better than unfinished gray plastic.
Thanks for chiming in though. :salute:

Ben.

Back