• Register Today It's free!

Decided to do a SAS!!!

snafu4u2s

Reaction score
City, State
Dagsboro, Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
hey guys i really need your help. i think i have decided to do a SAS on a second generation explorer. just have a few questions first... this is still my daily driver so how road worthy will it remain?, how much clearance should i get by doing this? what size tires would i most likely be able to clear with out trimming? and who has done a SAS on a second gen. x that i would be able to talk to that will be able to help me with parts and setups? can i still use my 3 inch body with the SAS? thanks guys any help would be great. thanks Jason
SNAFU4U2S@aol.com

The SAS registry will be a good place to start.

You will need to replace your steering box with a 1st Gen style for starters. Your body lift has nothing to do with the suspension.

How much lift and what size tires will all depend on what you want. What type of suspension do you want? What do you want to do with the truck? The posibilites are endless, only limit is your wallet.

Originally posted by snafu4u2s
hey guys i really need your help. i think i have decided to do a SAS on a second generation explorer. just have a few questions first... this is still my daily driver so how road worthy will it remain?
It depends on how its designed and done. It could be more roadworthy than it is now, or it could be an instant death trap.
how much clearance should i get by doing this?
clearance under the axles will only be gained by bigger tires, but you could lift the frame/body as high as your heart desires.
what size tires would i most likely be able to clear with out trimming?
depends on the lift. Minimum lift with a SAS is going to be 6-8", which should clear 35's even w/o your 3" B/L unless you're getting some awesome flex (like me :D )
and who has done a SAS on a second gen. x that i would be able to talk to that will be able to help me with parts and setups?
I have, as have a half dozen other guys on here. But before you come to me with more questions you better have done some homework.
can i still use my 3 inch body with the SAS? thanks guys any help would be great. thanks Jason
yes, the 3" B/L will still work, but unless you're going with a monster truck look I'd suggest taking it out.

Reasearch is the key. ALL of those questions you just asked could have been answered in just a few hours of searching. There is plenty if information on this board. I spent 8+ months (and as much as 4hrs a night) searching this board and others before I actually started to construct my SAS, and yet there are still things I would have done differently now.

Back