Deciding between 13,15 and 16(?) Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deciding between 13,15 and 16(?) Limited

Yanik4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer Ltd
14 Focus
Hi Forum,

potential new member here. Am looking to buy 2013 Limited vs 2015 Limited
  1. 2013 Limited @ 28k miles, no accidents, 1 owner, 301a with tow III pack + moon roof
  2. 2015 Limited @ 31k miles, no accidents, 1 owner, 301a +moon roof
Don't really care for towing, but it is nice to have and it is the only difference in equipment. The 2013 is ~ $1,750 less.
Please share your advice, what else is different between 13 and 15? What would you go with?

secret option 3. 2014 Sport @ 49k miles, no accidents, 401a, moon roof, ~ $250 more expensive than '15 Limited. Also, the dealer is 3hours away from me :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd take the 15 myself. Is there any remaining factory 3/36 on the 15?

I'd go with the 15

2015 is a Carmax with $500 transfer free. 2013 is a dealer that claims it belonged to a local owner and was serviced with them all these years. Trying to lure service records/oasis from them now.

Update: Got the records on the 2013. Oil was changed every 3k (or less miles, so 10 oil changes for 28k miles so far), + new wipers at 25k, cabin & engine air filters at 20k.

Other than that - fuel delivery module recall and sync recall performed in 2013.

Looks as good as it gets. I see you recommend going with 2015 despite $1750 more and same mileage. Can you please explain why, especially if there is any difference in parts between these two cars?

Welcome to the Forum Yanik4.:wave:
Usually a later model year is recommended due to the likelihood of more recent updates. Also, with the 2015 you will still have the remainder of the 5 year, 60k mile Powertrain Warranty and Safety Restraint System Warranty.
Have you checked the lip of the hood for paint bubbles? This is an issue that is not covered by warranty and will get progressively worse if bubbles are there.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Yanik4.:wave:
Usually a later model year is recommended due to the likelihood of more recent updates. Also, with the 2015 you will still have the remainder of the 5 year, 60k mile Powertrain Warranty and Safety Restraint System Warranty.
Have you checked the lip of the hood for paint bubbles? This is an issue that is not covered by warranty and will get progressively worse if bubbles are there.

Peter
Ah, somehow completely forgot about 5y/60,000mi part of the warranty, thank you for reminding me.
The reason that '13 is on my list because it appears to be taken care of, but will double-check that hood, thank you for this tip.

Also, while thinking about these 2, my wife and I considering throwing some more $$ and jumping to '16 as those have much better looks. Too bad XLT doesn't have AC seats and some other features and 16 Limited are expensive... we are still thinking though :)

Ah, somehow completely forgot about 5y/60,000mi part of the warranty, thank you for reminding me.
The reason that '13 is on my list because it appears to be taken care of, but will double-check that hood, thank you for this tip.

Also, while thinking about these 2, my wife and I considering throwing some more $$ and jumping to '16 as those have much better looks. Too bad XLT doesn't have AC seats and some other features and 16 Limited are expensive... we are still thinking though :)
The 2016 + models have a 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty against aluminum panel corrosion. You should also check the spare tire well for signs of moisture.
Water Leak
Hood Paint bubble issue only

Peter

Re the tow package, you may never tow a trailer or boat, but it comes in real handy if you like to travel with your bikes. In my opinion, the best bike racks available or those that mount into the hitch. It's way easier than mounting on the roof - especially a taller car like the Explorer. And forget about those that strap on the back - terrible for the paint and you can't open the hatch while they're mounted.

At the same price, the 15. The 13 should be at least 10-15% less in price.

At the same price, the 15. The 13 should be at least 10-15% less in price.

That's not true. They are at different dealers, the 15 could have been traded and low balled.. made up for on the sale side. Different markets (3 hours away). Many variables.. maybe the 15 is priced lower then it should, that doesnt mean the 13 should be lower.

I know why you said it but it isnt black and white as there are too many variables that could explain it.

That's not true. They are at different dealers, the 15 could have been traded and low balled.. made up for on the sale side. Different markets (3 hours away). Many variables.. maybe the 15 is priced lower then it should, that doesnt mean the 13 should be lower.

I know why you said it but it isnt black and white as there are too many variables that could explain it.
We can agree to disagree. The OP already stated that the '13 was $1750 cheaper...
  • Book Trade-in on a 15 Limited with 31k miles with standard options sits at $25.5k.
  • Book Trade-in on a 13 Limited with 28k miles with standard options sits at $20.7k. Does the Tow III pack value at almost 5k on a 5 year old SUV?
But this is America, so the buyer can buy whatever they want for whatever price they want to pay.

So now we are looking at Ruby Red 2016 Limited with 301a + Adaptive Cruise Control @ 49k miles for $27,500 before taxes and fees and questioning if that is the correct price range or it is too good to be true?

So now we are looking at Ruby Red 2016 Limited with 301a + Adaptive Cruise Control @ 49k miles for $27,500 before taxes and fees and questioning if that is the correct price range or it is too good to be true?
Have you checked prices on AutoTrader for similar vehicles in your area?

Peter

That's where we are looking, 200 miles around me. There are few others with similar mileage at same price range, none 301a though.

As a point of comparison, I spent a LONG time looking for my 2016 explorer Sport with 401A and Adaptive cruise and dual moonroofs.. those were all must have features for me and even searching nationwide it took me months to find one. I finally did, with only 12,000 miles on it and I paid $37k.

I think I got a good deal, KBB sais so and there were a number of similiarly equipped cars with higher mileage for more money that I ran across.

Adaptive cruise is awesome, BTW, I use it a lot more than I thought I would.

So yesterday I pulled the trigger. '16 LTD it is. Still cannot believe it :)

Congratulations. Now all that is left is to update your profile.:)

Peter

Congrats! I still feel the same way with my 17 that I bought over a month ago now. Still feels weird. I looked for months and months and finally did it, and I just like what did I do lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats! I still feel the same way with my 17 that I bought over a month ago now. Still feels weird. I looked for months and months and finally did it, and I just like what did I do lol
IKR, it sits on my drive and I'm staring at it and thinking now what.

Will make a nice photo for profile pic when it's finally actual spring, not this fake one with snow and all

Back