Decision Time: Non EGR engine or EGR engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Decision Time: Non EGR engine or EGR engine

RustyMacintosh

Reaction score
City, State
Monterey
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4 Exploder
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I have an EGR engine with mega miles on my 94 XLT. I'm heading down the state to get a used motor. They have 8. 7 of which are non EGR low miles engines.

I was told yesterday that to swap the non-EGR over to an EGR is a whole lotta work.

Looking at my motor, I see the EGR is on the intake and the tube down to the exhaust manifold. Why can't I just swap them over?

Is there more to it than this? I always thought the engines were the same, just one had an EGR and one did not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think if you can swap your EGR stuff onto the non EGR engine you should be fine?
That’s what I would do

Lots of low mileage non egr motors..Im going for a 69k one noon egr, while mine is egr...I'll swap everything over..if I need to change the ecm I will. All the egr engines are 150k or more...in miles.

yikes some bad info out there
The block and heads changed very little from 1989-2001
You can use any OHV 4.0L engine you can find and bolt your EGR to it, keeping your intakes, your computer, your accessories, etc
The big difference is in 1998 when the 4.0l went from a 6 bolt crank to 8 bolts so the OHV and SOHC could use the same transmissions/ flexplate/ flywheel setup

You obviously do not want to use a 1989-94 engine if you can help it the heads were much weaker then the 95+ castings.
Otherwise buy the lowest miles latest model OHV you can get and you can convert it to use EGR and fit your trans /truck

Best I could do on a low mile pre 95 was a 67k one in Central Washington,
the OEM has waaaaaay over 240k miles

and---LIQUID GLASS does work, it sealed up the tiny headgasket leak that wet a cylinder-plug just ever so slightly that would cause a misfire at start on cold.

I've had good luck with mine too Rainier---240 on the 94, 205 on the 98 and 204 on the 99. Albeit the 99 has chain slap that we will deal with soon. They say to time those cams is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE TOOKUS!

Back