V6 or V8 Esploder/Mountaineer?

• Total voters

Moose_Of_Evil

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon, The State Park!
Hi.

I'm not in here much.

I'm looking at possibly buying either an Explorer or Mountaineer for da' wife to drive back and forth to work.

My problem is concerning which engine to go with. I'm looking to find something with as few miles on it as possible, and there are several available which fit the bill. I know most of the problems with the V8's...or at least a few of the problems anyway...and I've got little to zero experience with the 4.0 SOHC engine and related transmission. I'm needing 4wd/AWD, and am aware that the V8's come with full-time AWD, so that's not a problem.

My issue with the V8 is that I know it has reeeeeeally crappy exhaust manifolds on it, and I'm not sure who's still doing tunes for these vehicles now that Henson is out of business. However, it's a cast iron lump of 1960's goodness that doesn't have timing issues like the 4.0 SOHC...but the V6 (at least the couple that I've driven) got pretty good gas mileage, although it seemed they were constantly high in the rev range...

At any rate, which one to buy? Does anyone still do tuning for either engine? Is someone still doing headers for the V8 after the TorqueMaster fiasco of a few years ago, or am I off to the exhaust shop to do my own? Will Granny get back in time to save the damsel in distress from Dastardly Dan?

OR should I just say to 'Hell with it' and find as low-mile-but-also-as-new-as-possible 3rd gen Esploder/Mountaineer and go with that choice instead?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IDK about doing tuning (don't see much point to increasing performance on a top heavy 4000 lb brick of a vehicle) but I own 4 V8's and 2 SOHC V6's and I would recommend going with the V8 AWD hands down. Gas mileage is about the same (which is to say poor) and the V8 and it's transmission are far more reliable the either of the V6's.

At one point in time the V8's had steel/SS headers and then they switched to cast iron. All of mine are cast iron (2000's and 2001) and I've never had a problem with the headers cracking. Maybe some years are worse than others? I do pretty much 100% of my maintenance and repairs and my biggest complaint with working on the V8 is the long water pump bolts rusting and breaking off.

I don't need AWD where I live and if I did I'd prefer true 4WD over the AWD, but the V8's weren't available with 4WD. Other than the engine, radiator and transmission the V8 and V6 vehicles share almost all the same parts and related issues, which are all pretty much simple and inexpensive fixes. I haven't had any major problems with our AWD (axle seals.t-case yoke seal, diff cover leak and a front driveshaft CV joint). One thing you need to keep in mind with the AWD is that you have to keep the tire wear as equal as possible so as to not damage the viscous coupling.

As far as I know the crack-prone tubular exhaust manifolds were replaced with cast ones in the mid 1998 model year. The leak-prone oil cooler was also gone at the same time.

@Moose_Of_Evil IMO, you already are well-informed, understand pretty much the usual issues involved, and will therefore make the final decision based on good common sense, your own, that is.

More, this of my own thinking: All these current OHC engines are way-behind "Best Engineering" thought regarding driving the cams. Remember what we replaced OHV timing chains with? Gears. Get what the big trucks use? Even in OHC engines.

My purchase? Would be the V-8, though I drive a 2004 4.0L with 154K having had no major issues at all. imp

Imp, I'm contemplating looking at something in your year range as well, as the well for 2nd-gen V8 offerings has dried up just a wee bit. I have owned several other Ford vehicles with 4.6 engines in them, I'm extremely happy with the way they run, my issue is that Ford's reliability is getting a bit more interesting as they get newer.

My wife doesn't have to drive too terribly far, but about what kind of mileage are the V8 (2nd gen) esploders getting these days?

Imp, I'm contemplating looking at something in your year range as well, as the well for 2nd-gen V8 offerings has dried up just a wee bit. I have owned several other Ford vehicles with 4.6 engines in them, I'm extremely happy with the way they run, my issue is that Ford's reliability is getting a bit more interesting as they get newer.

My wife doesn't have to drive too terribly far, but about what kind of mileage are the V8 (2nd gen) esploders getting these days?

The Gen II AWD gets around 2 MPG less than my RWD V8's, which get 15-17 MPG around town and 21-23 indicated hwy if I take it real gentle. It really depends on how and where you drive, so your results may differ.

The Gen II AWD gets around 2 MPG less than my RWD V8's, which get 15-17 MPG around town and 21-23 indicated hwy if I take it real gentle. It really depends on how and where you drive, so your results may differ.

My wife's fairly easy on the gas, but I drive EVERYWHERE with the throttle pinned, even backing out of the driveway, hell, even while parked in said driveway: Floored. School zones? Pinned. Church parking lot? Pinned. Casual drive through a cemetery? Pinned.

My wife's fairly easy on the gas, but I drive EVERYWHERE with the throttle pinned, even backing out of the driveway, hell, even while parked in said driveway: Floored. School zones? Pinned. Church parking lot? Pinned. Casual drive through a cemetery? Pinned.

Then you will probably 12-13 MPG.

We got 18 mpg in our V8 AWD Mountaineer. City- 18. Highway- 18. 30 mph headwind on the highway- 18. 30 mph tailwind on the highway- 18.

And we did road trips where we start with a full tank, drain it on the highway. Fill up and repeat.

Okay, I'm looking at what's supposedly a 1998 Esploder with the V8...but it has a build date of 09/1998. That should be a 1999, shouldn't it? Every vehicle I've ever worked on with a build date that close to the end of the year has always been the next-year model. I might see if I can get a picture of the manifolds.

If it's a 99, stands to reason it would have the full plastic bumper vs a trimmed steel one on a 98

It's a 98 then, unless it's been wrecked, but that'll show through if it has

Back