Decisions while swapping axles...

Brandons

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 F150 SC 5.4
Since i got the 91 eddie baur for parts, ive been constantly wondering about swapping the axles from it.

Eddie baur = 3.55 gears
XLT = 3.27 gears

In the future i wanted to get a lift and 32" tires (i dont set my goals high, that way i can always achieve them! :chug:). With the 3.55 gears i could get the speedo pretty close to what it was before.

Some of the factors that make me want to do the swap
- Eddie baurs TTB front end has new balljoints and more then likely bearings
- XLT has bad ball joints, sagging coil springs, and the radius arm bushings could use some replacing.

Sooo...

I was originally thinking doing the SOA in the back while the trucks apart and then doing the front end later. The front would probably be a 5" lift, were the back around 7" (were going to try to combine the leafs springs from both trucks, if that doesnt work i know someone who may need them). I was also thinking SAS for the front but then thats too expensive, and the TTB is more practical for around here.

The reason im having problems deciding here is that i kind of want to do the lift at the front and back at the same time not only for convienence, but to also surprise my parents. Dad uses it a lot since this is turning into a tree farm, what better for spring planting then something that could make it through virtually anything here.

Now another problem here that comes up is that i want to get this done in a weekend.. is this possible? My friend helping me is a mechanic and is very capable at pretty much anything, and has the tools for it. How much should i pay him to help me? Hes a good guy and would do it for free, but i want to pay him at least some money.

Heres the costs i estimate for it
-Axle spring mounts (whatever there called) for SOA $50
-5" TTB lift $500
-Friends help $100
-Misc broken parts $50

So it all comes down to the decision.. wait for the $700, or do the SOA and then TTB lift after?

*Any questions please ask, i really need to plan this out good.

**Also if i get the lift, i'll be definately becoming elite!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it should take you a day to do the SOA (from what i heard, j602 did it in a half day) The front stuff, aslong as you dont have to press in new balljoints and you dont have to do the axle pivot bushings, then it shouldnt take you longer then a half day

i figure it will take you an hour to two to remove everything off the spindles and get the axle shafts out the pumkin

Another 2 hours to bolt up the new goodies.

then another hour to put everything back on the spindles.

so its a 4-6 hour job, depending how you manager your time... Plan on it being twice as long if you are putting the lift on (drop brackets or new brackets+Longer arms, those are the hard part)

If you got any extra Cash, PM Brett he cuts' and turns beam up 3" then you would only have to use a 2.5" drop bracket which is totally reasonable... (have you seen the 5.5-6" drop brackets? they dont look healthy!)

eh well 3.55 still might be too high for 32"s

i just upgraded from 3.27 to 4.56 with 32"s

YAY i love it

Few things that could be different.

For 32's i should have personally gone with 4.33. Since 4.10 is very do-able and probably perfectly fine for driving around the property, it sill doesnt have that extra 'umph' if you will. 4.56 are FREGGIN powerful, these gears have already put me in a couple scary situations, and im still on the 500 mile break-in period! Its gotta LOTTA torque on the get up and go. So 33"s should fix that...

The speedo is off by 10mph from 3.27 to 4.56

65 is the fastest i can go on the highway with reasonable gas milage. around 75 i start hitting 3k RPM... But moving up to 33" should level that out a lil bit for me since 75 is the fastest i go when i do go on the highway, which is accompanied by recreational driving.

:confused: :confused: :confused: First off you wont be removing any spindles or axle shafts. Why would you? If you want to swap swap the whole thing in one huge part. Kinda like the picture. Far faster this way. The front end should be easily doable in a day.

The SOA should take well under half a day. In fact with competant help you are looking at a couple or a few hours. Now as far as the SOA then waiting on the front lift I think its a bad idea. The truck will look and handle terribly untill you level it out. Do it all at once

edit forgot to attach pics

Attachments

• ttb.jpg
    ttb.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 254

Once i go solid i will hook you up on the ttb lift Brandon.

Do it at the same time. I wouldn't put leafs together for the SOA, it will be high enough with just the SOA and with 32s will be completely fine. Why go higher if you don't have to?

Oh yeah forgot that part. Do not do the mutli leaf thing. its just a bad idea you will have uber stiff springs. noo good.

Ok so ill for sure go with doing SOA and TTB lift at the same time

SOA wont take very long at all, since the new mounts or whatever there called i'll have welded on before the big day.

Thanks for the offer JTX, ill more then likely be looking for a used kit, since its the same as new plus i dont care how it looks since im going to paint it anyways.

As for the 3.55 gears, they are the cheapest method, simply use the axles from the eddie baur, since the front end ball joints etc are in good shape still. I don't care if the truck is very powerfull, it will only get me in trouble if it is.

As for the brakets on the lifts, is there any way to strengthen them? I dont do any serious offroading, just mud, so im not really concerned, however its always nice to have the extra protection.

Also thanks for the help guys. How much do you figure a used TTB lift run me for?

EDIT - I definately wont do the multileaf thing, im probably only running 32" tires, later on i may get bigger, but i doubt it. So i dont need the extra lift.

Maybe i could part out the eddie baur to make some money hehe.

why not swap the front axle, then body lift it? easy way to fit 32's...

I dont think it would be drivable with a SOA in the back and nothing in the front. Right now i have around 8 inchs in the front and a SOA in the back. The front even sags a little.

GONRACIN said:
why not swap the front axle, then body lift it? easy way to fit 32's...

I figure since im going to be in the process of changing both axles (since id have 3.55 at front and 3.27 at rear if i just did the front). I also dont like being able to see the frame, as well as it probably wouldnt help me much getting stuck in mud, were the suspension lift would keep the frame higher as well.

Do you guys know were i can get the new axle mounts or whatever there called that you weld on to the axles for the SOA? Are they expensive?

Any speed shop will have them for around 20 bucks. Just ask for leaf spring perches and our axle tube diameter is 3 1/4 inches. Usualy they will give you mopar perches they will work just fine

I just tried the local auto parts store today, didnt have them, but i didnt expect them to. Next time im in barrie ill look around for some.

Back