deep love for the expy, want another one. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

deep love for the expy, want another one.

jrock47

Reaction score
City, State
rockford illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ranger XLT supercab
ive always loved the explorer sport, not so much the 4door model (dont want to deal with all that extra weight + fuel usage lol)
i used to have a 2001 explorer sport SOHC, automatic RWD and it had 3.73 final that i swapped to 4.10 with a locker, had some all terrain tires on it and put a bit of work into the engine + trans (couldnt tell though, i sold it after i blew the trans), i made about 295hp from it at the crank and that was a very fun car, it's 0-60 power was insane and it couldnt be beaten even by my neighbors mustang gt350 in 0-60, but after i got into 3rd he'd pull on me.

what i didnt like about it was the lack of a consistent torque curve, i mean sure it would pull,and it would tow and was very usable for that use (2-4.5k lbs towing max) but before that i had a 9c1 impala with a 3.9L v6 and it made 242lb-ft from 1700rpm to 5500rpm, where my expy peaked around 239 at 3100 stock. (now, by the time i was done with it, i got around 325 peak at 2900-3500 but thats not a very long curve) from 1700-5500 the minimum torque it'd put out was about 210-220lb-ft,and that was just...kinda boring, it resulted in a very wierd acceleration curve.
i also didnt like that it was automatic, and sure i had the trans rebuilt with a heavy duty rebuild kit and a shift kit and a PCM tune but it didnt really help it last with the way i drive. (i had the car for about 8 months total before i blew the trans and snapped the driveshaft and sold it for 100$)
i had a 2000 ranger with the m5od and a 2.5L 4cyl and i got about 660hp from it before i blew the engine (i saved the trans though!! lol) and i just loved the way that trans felt, and i know its VERY similiar on the overall feel.
i also hated that it didnt have 4x4. there was a time when i had hit a spot of black ice on the highway while trying to accelerate and merge into traffic from an on-ramp, and i had jack-knifed and ended up in a ditch, and that day it was very cold and very wet and wasnt a very good combination, and i managed to get the truck out eventually but while flooring it in 3rd gear i sent mud flying 85+ft straight up, and i know as a fact if i would've had 4x4 i could've just crawled out of that ditch in 1st gear easily. (it wasnt steep, or deep mud, just very slick. maybe 4-5" deep.)

so im trying to buy a expy sport, 4x4 and MANUAL. ive got a fair chunk of change put aside for one (2-3k) and when i find one that suits my wants/needs im gonna grab it and drop this garret turbo ive got into it. im hoping i get a 1999-2001 but i also want the OHV for the better low end grunt. i want to make it fast but im targeting 355hp at the wheels when all is said and done. no matter the gearing on the model i end up with im going to change it to 4.10 or even possibly 4.55 front and rear, aswell as im going to buy a set of 3.55 gears (unless thats what it has stock) and use that for whenever i go cross-country to my house in colorado.

really long post, and im sorry about that. i just have a reallllyyyy deep passion for the expy sport and i want another one but i want it to be perfect for myself lol.

i also really like power. oops.
i might get the 4x4 model and drop a 4.6 and put a 5/6spd manual in it.

Sounds like a great plan. Turbo and supercharged Explorers are fun:chug:

update, im getting a 4x4 4.0 ranger instead. life changed and i live alone now just me & my dog.
that, and it was ALOT easier to find a 4x4, 4.0 ranger wth the 5spd.
its lifted, has 33" tires, and is just f**king mint man. im buying a 4.0 SOHC a friend was going to pulled out of his SVO mustang, and im going to turbo it to around 6psi.
not going to try to build HP, just low end torque for easy hill climbs.
3.73 gears and limited slip axles. 6" lift.
im gonna make my own thread when i get closer to the build.
been discussing the plans for it on this thread, inadvertantly kinda hi-jacked it but still relevant to the post i feel.
Building a 4.0 OHV for power

Back