Deep Sleep Mode | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deep Sleep Mode

I have had my 2020 Explorer Platinum about three weeks. I recently left it in the garage for a trip (6 days), and on the return flight home I received a "Deep Sleep Mode Activated" FordPass alert on my phone. When I got back to the car, it would not start or respond, and acted like it had a completely drained battery. I was forced to jump it to get it going (last night).

I've triple checked for lights or other accessories on, and found nothing. The auto-start stop also seems disabled, which makes we wonder if there is a battery issue. Unfortunately, I just received another such alert, and am now wondering what to do next on this Labor day weekend. Anyone else experienced a similar issue?

P.S. I dare you all to figure out how to remove the battery on this vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got my 2020 explorer and after 3 days when i got it from the dealer it goes on deep sleep mode, call the dealer and did not knew about it, jump start it and bring to the dealer and just replaced the battery with a new one. After a week not using it for 3 days it goes on deep sleep mode again, bring it back to the dealer and reprogrammed the computer and still did not fix it. Solution that i did is every 3 days i just start the engine on my phone so it will not go on deep sleep mode

Got my 2020 explorer and after 3 days when i got it from the dealer it goes on deep sleep mode, call the dealer and did not knew about it, jump start it and bring to the dealer and just replaced the battery with a new one. After a week not using it for 3 days it goes on deep sleep mode again, bring it back to the dealer and reprogrammed the computer and still did not fix it. Solution that i did is every 3 days i just start the engine on my phone so it will not go on deep sleep mode
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
That's a solution, not a fix. Not something you should have to do. The battery should drain that much in 3 days.

Peter

That is one way. But why would one want to do that. If I leave it in a inside garage I don’t want to start it and the Carbon monoxide kill my family. There must be a way of stopping that deep sleep. This is making me wonder if I do want my 2020 ST that is to be built on11/4/19. Any other feed back from others on this forum ?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
That's a solution, not a fix. Not something you should have to do. The battery should drain that much in 3 days.

Peter
I just found this on line. I know it’s talking about a 2017 Escape but sync 3 is sync on 2020 as well except for a few upgrades.

Hello,
Anytime the vehicle has not been driven for a period of two weeks, this message will occur.
You may be irritated to hear how easy it is to get it out of deep sleep mode, but really, you just start it manually.
Now, since your vehicle says it deep sleep after only two days, you may have an issue with the sync modem, which is what shuts down during deep sleep mode.
It is made to conserve energy, and that means the battery may be dead.
Avoid jump-starting this battery, follow the advice of Ford, and have it towed for maintenance work.
The battery may be a dud, or something could have stayed on after you exited your vehicle.
There are several other possibilities, but ultimately, the vehicle needs to see the dealer.
I say do not jump start because if done improperly, there are too many components that can be damaged.
I would be frustrated, too, if that helps

I came across this thread on the F150 forum, it seems to be a Fordpass remote access sleep mode issue. The conclusion in the topic/thread was that the key fob, secure code should work normally, just the Fordpass connection features are suppressed in the sleep mode. See post #82, the feature also seems to be buggy per other posts....

Fordpass - Deep Sleep Mode - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

I came across this thread on the F150 forum, it seems to be a Fordpass remote access sleep mode, the conclusion in the topic/thread was that the key fob, secure code should work normally, just the Fordpass connection features are suppressed in the sleep mode. See post #82, the feature also seems to be buggy per other posts....

Fordpass - Deep Sleep Mode - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans
How can one go to a post by #. I don’t know how to do it.

How can one go to a post by #. I don’t know how to do it.
Post numbers are shown on the bottom right of a post. Just click on the supplied link and scroll to the post indicated. This is #24 in this thread.

Peter

Looked into this from an APIM PoV. Seems like this SSM is for a VMCU update, unfortunately something the dealer would have to do.

IMG_6016.jpeg
I am a little concerned with this Deep Sleep mode since I sometimes go on extended business trips overseas. The info in Blwnsmoke's link says it happens after 14 days, you say it happened after only 6 days. If it is really 14 days and not 6 I am not that worried but if it does it at 6 that is a whole other level. Guess I need to look into this one further unless Blwnsmoke has more understanding.
I have had my 2020 Explorer Platinum about three weeks. I recently left it in the garage for a trip (6 days), and on the return flight home I received a "Deep Sleep Mode Activated" FordPass alert on my phone. When I got back to the car, it would not start or respond, and acted like it had a completely drained battery. I was forced to jump it to get it going (last night).

I've triple checked for lights or other accessories on, and found nothing. The auto-start stop also seems disabled, which makes we wonder if there is a battery issue. Unfortunately, I just received another such alert, and am now wondering what to do next on this Labor day weekend. Anyone else experienced a similar issue?

P.S. I dare you all to figure out how to remove the battery on this vehicle.

My 2020 Explorer is doing the same thing I received the “ Deep Sleep Mode Activated “ 10 times since purchased new in August. The biggest problem with this is the battery is too discharged by this time Voltaged measured is about 4.4 volts. I have a 2018 Raptor and have received that warning once but everything still functioned and started right up. I took it back to the dealer they said “099 unable to duplicate” and said i probably had one of the key fobs to close to the vehicle. I guess I’m supposed to go bury them out in the back yard. It is not that simple to recharge the battery either you have to disconnect the negative side, positive side is to hard to access if you don’t do this it starts trying to wake up flashing lights, solenoids clicking, horn honking and battery charger states bad battery replace. With the negative cable removed battery charges back up fine. This is the tenth time this has happened I will call the dealer today and see what is next.
Got the ST back today had it about a week only time will tell.

My 2020 Explorer is doing the same thing I received the “ Deep Sleep Mode Activated “ 10 times since purchased new in August. The biggest problem with this is the battery is too discharged by this time Voltaged measured is about 4.4 volts. I have a 2018 Raptor and have received that warning once but everything still functioned and started right up. I took it back to the dealer they said “099 unable to duplicate” and said i probably had one of the key fobs to close to the vehicle. I guess I’m supposed to go bury them out in the back yard. It is not that simple to recharge the battery either you have to disconnect the negative side, positive side is to hard to access if you don’t do this it starts trying to wake up flashing lights, solenoids clicking, horn honking and battery charger states bad battery replace. With the negative cable removed battery charges back up fine. This is the tenth time this has happened I will call the dealer today and see what is next.

If your battery discharged to 4.4 volts repeatedly, it's toast. Time for a new battery.

Automotive lead-acid batteries despise deep discharge cycles -- even if they're AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries like the ones the factory installed in our 2020 Explorers.

Welcome to the Forum 66fordv8.:wave:
Are you able to get a cable clamp on the positive terminal at all? When I charge my battery I just put a cable (+) on the positive terminal and the charger's negative cable is attached to a ground point. I don't touch the negative battery terminal at all.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum 66fordv8.:wave:
Are you able to get a cable clamp on the positive terminal at all? When I charge my battery I just put a cable (+) on the positive terminal and the charger's negative cable is attached to a ground point. I don't touch the negative battery terminal at all.

Peter
Yes I can, the first time it happened I went by the manual which is to put the positive cable on the battery positive and the grounding cable on one of the shock tower bolts this called the same reaction.
By disconnecting the battery ground the battery is isolated from the car allowing it to properly charge.

I just received the deep sleep notification, 15 minutes after parking the vehicle. Calling the dealer shortly.

2020 Explorer ST - about 3 week old.

Me too, just a few minutes ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a FordPass issue..

Same here at the same exact time..

The remote start would not work so even if it was an error, it disabled the functionality.

Exactly at 830 EST

And it was 30 min after my wife got to work after an hour of driving it.

It happened twice with me. Once a couple months ago and most recent on Tuesday morning after getting to work. Both times a ran out to start it. No further issues. I'm driving short with trips the with auto stop disabled to allow the battery to charge. My drive to work is only 20 minutes. I don't know if it will help.

My Ford service manager said he talked to a FordPass yesterday and they told him they are having some big issues so I would assume this mornings deep sleep notice is a system hack since so many got it for no reason.

Same problem here all. What # am I like 20? I have an ST. Maybe while the cars sat in transit or while waiting for repair or inspection the batteries totally drained and were damaged? Seems very odd to me. When it goes in for 1st service will ask them to replace the battery. One other clue is the night before the front windows would not go back up and malfunctioned until I power cycled.

I had the same notice this morning at 7am. it disabled fordpass, but the remote and everything else worked fine when I got back to the car... i think it was a fordpass issue

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same here at the same exact time..

The remote start would not work so even if it was an error, it disabled the functionality.

Exactly at 830 EST

And it was 30 min after my wife got to work after an hour of driving it.
I just got my ST yesterday and this morning at 8:26 I got the deep sleep notification. I walked outside and remote started the car without a problem.

Peter, I’ll update my vehicle today. (Had to beat you to it. Lol)

Back