Deep Sleep Mode | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deep Sleep Mode

Thanks blwnsmoke:

I re-read all the original posts and the various other forums you had mentioned way earlier.

Seems like a few hits and misses but all works out. Will probably request a new battery or do it myself when the time comes as a little precaution.

Jay

Keep in mind you can also shut this off via forscam so if you want to prevent any of those warnings from popping up, you can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why can't you install at battery maintainer/tender, seems like that would be a good solution.

T Bill

Why can't you install at battery maintainer/tender, seems like that would be a good solution.

T Bill

There is no reason why you cant. But the message appears to be inaccurate, just a software glitch or the trigger is a bit too sensitive.

Hi TBill [if this question is posed to me]:

The reason we cannot install one is because it is a public garage and where our specific spot is, there are no outlets nearby.

Jay

So my two-week old ST wouldn't start this morning, after driving fine yesterday. Oct 30 build date. Deep sleep message hit my Ford Pass in the middle of the night, but clearly the voltage was truly low. It measured 3.5 V on the roadside assistance guy's portable booster.

It barely started off the booster (and wouldn't even click on a smaller one that hotel security had, and promised they kept charged).

I'm at the Quick Lane in Orlando... wife is thrilled I bought this damn thing and its effect on our vacation.

I saw a couple mentions of reprogramming that appears to have fixed the drain issue, right? Of course the main service says they can't look at it until Monday... Not helpful when we're driving back home tomorrow. Is there a TSB or anything I can mention to my home dealer?

So my two-week old ST wouldn't start this morning, after driving fine yesterday. Oct 30 build date. Deep sleep message hit my Ford Pass in the middle of the night, but clearly the voltage was truly low. It measured 3.5 V on the roadside assistance guy's portable booster.

It barely started off the booster (and wouldn't even click on a smaller one that hotel security had, and promised they kept charged).

I'm at the Quick Lane in Orlando... wife is thrilled I bought this damn thing and its effect on our vacation.

I saw a couple mentions of reprogramming that appears to have fixed the drain issue, right? Of course the main service says they can't look at it until Monday... Not helpful when we're driving back home tomorrow. Is there a TSB or anything I can mention to my home dealer?

Chances are you have a bad battery.. hundreds of thousands of them produced a year.. someone will get one.

The software update doesnt prevent battery drain, it prevents the deep sleep from occurring if I recall correctly.

I'd call a dealer and see about swinging by and getting it swapped out. 3.5 v.. that battery is junk now if it wasnt before.

Software update corrected the battery drain on mine..... it triggered the deep sleep because of the battery drain , after the update I haven't had the issue again. They never replaced my battery but since it's a lease I didnt care .

Original poster here with an update! I recently took my Explorer in for service (recall), and they also updated the software due to a bulletin associated with cars built pre-August. I believe it is the same one referenced here:

Possible Deep Sleep Fix

I'm happy to report that unlike the last time I left it at the airport, the car was fine after spending nearly a week at the airport over Thanksgiving. I'm cautiously optimistic that this issue is solved.

I've had the Deep Sleep Mode issue once and never again. It was right after I bought it.

Howdy Y’all,
My wife has had her 2020 Explorer ST for about 5 months. We must be one of the lucky ones with no issues. Hope this Deep Sleep doesn’t happen to us.

Brooks

I've had the Deep Sleep Mode issue once and never again. It was right after I bought it.

Same here, happened the fist day I brought it home 2020 Platinum, has not occurred since.
TBill

Original poster here with an update! I recently took my Explorer in for service (recall), and they also updated the software due to a bulletin associated with cars built pre-August. I believe it is the same one referenced here:

Possible Deep Sleep Fix

I'm happy to report that unlike the last time I left it at the airport, the car was fine after spending nearly a week at the airport over Thanksgiving. I'm cautiously optimistic that this issue is solved.
Thank you for that. Mine is after that build date, so I'm hoping I just hit the bad battery lottery like @blwnsmoke said, and the new one stays charged. I'll post back here if it dies again. I know it's not the best test, but any validity in taking a voltage measurement in the morning, without disconnecting? What should I expect if there's no abnormal load over night?

Welcome to the Forum Brooks.:wave:

Peter

Thank you for that. Mine is after that build date, so I'm hoping I just hit the bad battery lottery like @blwnsmoke said, and the new one stays charged. I'll post back here if it dies again. I know it's not the best test, but any validity in taking a voltage measurement in the morning, without disconnecting? What should I expect if there's no abnormal load over night?

You should be high 11s to low 12s

I bought my explorer the first week of Sept 2019. On Oct 9th I went out to start it and it was dead, the dealership replaced the battery. On Nov 9th (yes exactly 1 month), it was dead again, they jumped it and all was ok. On Dec 9th (yes again 1 month), it was dead again. This time no jump worked and has to be towed. I told the dealership I'm not picking it up until they find out what the heck is draining my battery. The solution is not that I have to drive it or run it every 2-3 days. No one should have to do that. I have not had this issue with any other car. I work from home so I do not drive my vehicle every week.

This problem has been solved, it needs a software update from the dealership. Mine did the exact same thing when I got it.

I bought my explorer the first week of Sept 2019. On Oct 9th I went out to start it and it was dead, the dealership replaced the battery. On Nov 9th (yes exactly 1 month), it was dead again, they jumped it and all was ok. On Dec 9th (yes again 1 month), it was dead again. This time no jump worked and has to be towed. I told the dealership I'm not picking it up until they find out what the heck is draining my battery. The solution is not that I have to drive it or run it every 2-3 days. No one should have to do that. I have not had this issue with any other car. I work from home so I do not drive my vehicle every week.

This problem has been solved, it needs a software update from the dealership. Mine did the exact same thing when I got it.
Yes they were actually able to do that update. Hopefully it is fixed.

I have had my 2020 Explorer Platinum about three weeks. I recently left it in the garage for a trip (6 days), and on the return flight home I received a "Deep Sleep Mode Activated" FordPass alert on my phone. When I got back to the car, it would not start or respond, and acted like it had a completely drained battery. I was forced to jump it to get it going (last night).

I've triple checked for lights or other accessories on, and found nothing. The auto-start stop also seems disabled, which makes we wonder if there is a battery issue. Unfortunately, I just received another such alert, and am now wondering what to do next on this Labor day weekend. Anyone else experienced a similar issue?

P.S. I dare you all to figure out how to remove the battery on this vehicle.
Yes I found the battery in the compartment under the passenger side under the wiper, I had that problem also and had to have it jump and drove around and the next day it did the same thing, So I had it towed in to the Dealership and they put it on the machine and charge it up and told me it was fully charge, And I was willing to bet my life that it wouldn't start the next morning, But it did, And Monday Jan 20th again my 2020 FORD EXPLORER ST went in to another Deep Sleep Mode @ 3:19 am and I called Roadside and they had to use 2 jump box to get me started and I took it to the dealer and they said they've never seen this before, I'll have to make an appointment so they can put their Senior Mechanic on it.

Yes I found the battery in the compartment under the passenger side under the wiper, I had that problem also and had to have it jump and drove around and the next day it did the same thing, So I had it towed in to the Dealership and they put it on the machine and charge it up and told me it was fully charge, And I was willing to bet my life that it wouldn't start the next morning, But it did.
That is also because they must have done the software update.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had my 2020 Explorer Platinum about three weeks. I recently left it in the garage for a trip (6 days), and on the return flight home I received a "Deep Sleep Mode Activated" FordPass alert on my phone. When I got back to the car, it would not start or respond, and acted like it had a completely drained battery. I was forced to jump it to get it going (last night).

I've triple checked for lights or other accessories on, and found nothing. The auto-start stop also seems disabled, which makes we wonder if there is a battery issue. Unfortunately, I just received another such alert, and am now wondering what to do next on this Labor day weekend. Anyone else experienced a similar issue?

P.S. I dare you all to figure out how to remove the battery on this vehicle.

Ford came out with a fix for this. SSM 48268 it includes reprograming of BCM, TCU and APIM

Back