Deep Sleep Mode | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deep Sleep Mode

So what would you all say is normal for a car to sit before the Deep Sleep state activates? And how many days should a car be able to sit and still be able to start?

My wife had a fully loaded Tahoe earlier (saying loaded here because it had all the gadgets like onStar, wifi, the phone app etc. so assuming it did all the constant checks and stuff like out ST). We all went on an overseas trip and returned after 53 days, the vehicle was untouched until then just sitting in the garage. It has no problems starting when we got back and it also brought up all the lights and chimes when the door was unlocked without having to even start it.

My point here is if someone's vehicle is draining in just 5 days or a week's time, it should NOT be acceptable at all and should be fixed.

Coming back to my ST, I haven't started my ST for 12 days (wifey's vehicle was blocking it and we ended up taking that when we had to go out). Just after reading all this, I was worried and wanted to go try and start the ST. Just did and it started, even the lights, ST projection etc and stuff came up when the door was opened.

So whoever is having battery drain in just a week, has a problem, do Not let the dealer tell you otherwise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had my 2020 Explorer Platinum about three weeks. I recently left it in the garage for a trip (6 days), and on the return flight home I received a "Deep Sleep Mode Activated" FordPass alert on my phone. When I got back to the car, it would not start or respond, and acted like it had a completely drained battery. I was forced to jump it to get it going (last night).

I've triple checked for lights or other accessories on, and found nothing. The auto-start stop also seems disabled, which makes we wonder if there is a battery issue. Unfortunately, I just received another such alert, and am now wondering what to do next on this Labor day weekend. Anyone else experienced a similar issue?

P.S. I dare you all to figure out how to remove the battery on this vehicle.
I had the exact issue with no resolution. I lemon law the vehicle 2019 Expedition and won a complete refund. I bought a 2020 Expedition and after two days idle in the garage the battery was dead. This is now not a limited issue. There is something bigger going on. I’m wondering about the Ford app and remote **** being a problem. Otherwise unhook the neg terminal when not driving for a few days. Unacceptable but at least you can get home from the airport.

My explorer has been at the dealer for the past week. I just got an alert on my phone about this. I’m guessing it’s because my car is sitting waiting for parts. They said it would be mid-February so interesting to see how the car is when I get it back.

My explorer has been at the dealer for the past week. I just got an alert on my phone about this. I’m guessing it’s because my car is sitting waiting for parts. They said it would be mid-February so interesting to see how the car is when I get it back.
Mine did that when it was in for a week waiting for a trans cooler update and rear camera update. I even told the dealership the messages were coming through and they gave me the old "oh we'll check it". I got the vehicle back and it would not start 3 days later. Took it back, they did the module software update, and charged the battery. The vehicle would not start again one week later. I got a bit pushy and told them I want a new battery, and they put one in. Told me a was a big hassle because my old one would not test "bad" for them. I got the vehicle back last week and the tech who put the battery in mangled the passenger cowl and fasteners and left everything strewn under the hood. Left parts sitting on the passenger floorboard, scratched and greasy passenger fender, etc.

I hope you have better luck. I do not trust that my dealership knows what they are doing anymore. If you are getting the message, you might very well need the software update mentioned in this thread. And/or a new battery.

I am experiencing the same battery drain issue with my 2020 limited after 6 months. Did this ever get resolved for you ?

I am experiencing the same battery drain issue with my 2020 limited after 6 months. Did this ever get resolved for you ?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I read an article where I believe it was the 2021 F-150 that is having the same issue. Software upgrade recommended.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I read an article where I believe it was the 2021 F-150 that is having the same issue. Software upgrade recommended.

Peter
Thanks. The dealer finally found three software modules to update. Ot has stated charged over 24 hours for the first time in a month. Hope this is the final fix

Thanks. The dealer finally found three software modules to update. Ot has stated charged over 24 hours for the first time in a month. Hope this is the final fix
What modules were updated? What is your build date? Thanks.

What modules were updated? What is your build date? Thanks.
I don't know the build date
. 4 modules were updated
ABS
APIM
BCM
TCU

Hope this helps

The build date is on the Window Sticker if you have that and the month/year is also on the info sticker on the door jamb.

Peter

I bought a 2020 Explorer Platinum in December and have had three dead batter issues. We often travel out of the country for up to three weeks at a time, so starting the car every day or so is not an option, however, it has grounded me twice after having driven for some time and returning after doctors appointments. Had I known this issue existed prior, I would NOT have bought this vehicle. My question is: has the replacement module fix been effective in making this an acceptable vehicle? I can't trust a car that dies on a road trip after we stop to go to the bathroom!!

I bought a 2020 Explorer Platinum in December and have had three dead batter issues. We often travel out of the country for up to three weeks at a time, so starting the car every day or so is not an option, however, it has grounded me twice after having driven for some time and returning after doctors appointments. Had I known this issue existed prior, I would NOT have bought this vehicle. My question is: has the replacement module fix been effective in making this an acceptable vehicle? I can't trust a car that dies on a road trip after we stop to go to the bathroom!!
The module updates (programming) help but i wouldn't trust the battery to last for 3 weeks. Id put it on a trickle charger in that case. Still you should be able to go several days without a deep sleep alert and certainly not a dead battery!

Welcome to the Forum Richard. :wave:
If the battery dies after you have just driven it then I suspect there is another issue other than Deep Sleep Mode. Have you had the software updates done? Have you checked out the info in the SSM referenced in post #102? List of Useful Threads - 6th Generation Ex and Aviator Recalls, TSB, FSA and SSM It mentions the conditions under which the alert is triggered.
If you regularly leave it idle for up to 3 weeks, it may be an idea to get a trickle charger. These vehicles have many electronic components that are always drawing some low level of current.

Peter

. 4 modules were updated
ABS
APIM
BCM
TCU

Hope this helps
I have not read this entire thread so if this has been stated previously I apologize. Is anyone with these battery drain issues leaving your smart key either in the car, or perhaps hanging with. 6 feet of the car? If so that can cause a drain as the key fob and car are constantly trying to communicate.

I doubt if locking the fob inside the 6th gen is the same as it is in the 5th gen, but in the previous generation the keyfob will deactivate itself if purposely locked inside the vehicle.

Peter

I doubt if locking the fob inside the 6th gen is the same as it is in the 5th gen, but in the previous generation the keyfob will deactivate itself if purposely locked inside the vehicle.

Peter
Thanks Peter, good to know. I've always been afraid to leave the fob anyplace near the car.

Hi I am having the same issue, it’s 2020 built in January 2020, it goes to deep sleep mode overnight and can’t start it in the morning. They updated modules 2 days ago and it did the same this morning. Any new info that I can share with the dealership as it seems they have no idea how to fix it?
Thank you

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If the dealership doesn't have any further ideas, they should contact Ford to see if they have any suggestions. That is what most dealers do.

Peter

Any updates??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi I am having the same issue, it’s 2020 built in January 2020, it goes to deep sleep mode overnight and can’t start it in the morning. They updated modules 2 days ago and it did the same this morning. Any new info that I can share with the dealership as it seems they have no idea how to fix it?
Thank you
My dealership updated my modules and the battery died again 2 days later. It was a bad battery. Maybe the modules put too much drain on the battery and it can't recover. I got a new battery and it has been fine for 5 months now, knock on wood.

Back