Deep sounding dual exhaust on V6? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deep sounding dual exhaust on V6?

Jake709

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac XLT
I have a 2007 Sport Trac XLT with the 4.0 Liter V6. I was just looking for a dual exhaust system to make it sound louder and deeper.

I like the Flowmaster 40 and 44 so far but I do about 20 hours of highway driving a month so I don't want an unbearable amount of drone in the cab. Are they bearable for cab noise?

I'm an Industrial Mechanic so I know it won't sound just like a V8, so you don't need to tell me I should have bought a V8, haha.

Just want to enhance my sound and I'm new to the Sport Trac and really don't know what way to go to get a loud, deep dual exhaust system.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may want to consider a tube diameter a little bit larger like 2 1/2" not 2 1/4". It will change the depth a bit. On my Ranger I had a Magnaflow muffler, mid sized not larger length, and a Moroso spiral flow muffler for a resonator. It gave both depth and sound. Maybe open up the outlet of the cats to 2 1/4" to a "Y" pipe and 2 1/2" outlet... You will gain some in the sound level and increase the flow quite a bit. I won't hurt the torque because of the restrictive manifold and cats would still be inline too. :usa:

Duals tend to make a V6 sound weaker. I have a Gibson single system and it sounds really good for a V6.

I have a Magnaflow knock-off (Flo-pro) on my 4.6 single exhaust and it has a deep tone with no highway drone. Took off the stock resonator. I chose the largest size (24" I think) so it doesnt sound too redneck. installed cost was $100 and 30 minutes for a nice welded system. Expected life of the muffler is 3-5 yrs, because it is a packed muffler, unlike the Flowmaster design, which will not deteriorate.

Back