Deepest sounding FM muffler for my 2002 x V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deepest sounding FM muffler for my 2002 x V6

Koolwhip67

Reaction score
City, State
Eustis, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6
I'm getting a new exhaust system installed on my 2002 explorer xlt v6 and I wanted to know which Flowmaster muffler sounds the deepest? :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i got the single in and dual out 40 series flowmasters and it sounds loud and deep on mine and i got an 01 sport with the 4.0 sohc engine

I was planning on getting the same set up as you, but it's almost double the price. Do you think the dual outlets make it sound better than a single?

Right now I have 2 single in-single out 2.25" 40-series regulars with no cross pipe between the two. Sounds awesome at low speeds pulling out of a parking lot, but I have the 2.25" dual in-dual out 50-series SUV in my garage I'm meaning to put in. I feel bad in my parking lot late at night. I make a lot of noise going back and forth trying to park perfectly in a tight spot or hitching up my trailer. It's also too noisy on the highway - trust me, I love noise, but it will start to get to you. I've also had a bad drone/resonance at 2,000 rpm, I feel like this is a recent thing.

Keep in mind, there are huge difference with the way you rig up the pipes after a muffler. When I first installed the 2 40's, I didn't use any tail pipes, just dumped right out the back of the mufflers. Sounded horrible and my brain wanted to explode over 40mph, I thought I was screwed with the mufflers but then I added flexible pipe tail pipes to the bumper and it made a world of difference. I've been reading up on the 2000 rpm resonance and some say it's as simple as adding a cross pipe. There's also the option of adding resonators to the tail pipes, which are different than mufflers. Lengthening and shortening the tail pipes can tune where in the rpm range the resonance happens too.

There's a lot of tuning that can be done with just the tailpipes. One man's 40-series set-up can sound a lot different than another man's.

I was looking at magnaflow at first but then I asked a few local auto stores and they thought flowmaster 40 series were going to sound better on my model because of the three catalytic converters.

I'm also going to put exhaust tips on it which should make it sound better hopefully. Anyone recommend a certain brand?

What's so funny about putting exhaust tips on your tailpipe?

kool i got pics of my sport and it has some pics of my flowmasters on there.

www.cardomain.com/id/sams01xplrsprt

they are 2 1/2 inch tips and i got the 40 series flowmasters

the pics on my cardomain are old i need to get new ones up.

tips are for looks only sadly but headers are where its at for truely awesome power and sound

I second magnaflow. flowmasters are the loudest but they will kill you at highway speeds.

tips are for looks only sadly but headers are where its at for truely awesome power and sound

LOL headers... :p:

On an SOHC headers are a waste on a stock engine. The stock head pipes flow quite well...

I knew that some borla tips were intercooled or something to make the sound more mellow and wouldn't a dual tip make it sound good? Right now I can't afford headers anyways, plus mine seem fine.

kool did u see pics of my sport and did u see my flowmasters

I knew that some borla tips were intercooled or something to make the sound more mellow and wouldn't a dual tip make it sound good? Right now I can't afford headers anyways, plus mine seem fine.

yes some tips have a glass packing in them that helps to mello the harsh crackling of some mufflers. I would say don't waste your money on tips and just get a muffler that your happy with.

If your looking for tips and your using Flowmaster mufflers....why not go with Flowmaster tips?....I have a FM 70 series suv muffler on mine and also have a FM stainless tip...I got it from Summit Racing. Has the word "FLOWMASTER" embossed on the top of the tip.

Here's a couple pics of the tip...best pics I have.

Attachments

• taillight.jpg
    taillight.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 577
  • taillight2.jpg
    taillight2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 583

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exhaust tips arent going to change the sound of your truck...

I strongly disagree. Any pipes after the muffler will change the sound because they act as like a.....horn! Like on a trumpet. They may not change the tone as much, but definitely the amplification. It's not much, but it's noticeable.

Back