Deerfield Precision Braided SS Brake Lines | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deerfield Precision Braided SS Brake Lines

swshawaii

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
These seem to be the only pre made stainless brake lines available for the Gen 2 Explorer. Price and build quality appears comparable to custom made, and DOT approved. Anyone tried or found any benefit with SS? I've read conflicting reviews. TIA

Formerly WRXtra
Deerfield Precision

EDIT 6/3/16

30 months later I finally pulled the trigger. First impression is these stainless brake lines are very high quality. My mistake was ordering stock length hoses and not specifying being lowered 2.5" front and 3" rear. When lowered, the front wheels and calipers move up putting the banjo fittings at a different angles and binding the hoses at full steering lock. Rear drivers upper hose appears longer because the axle moves up with lowering blocks. DP replied and said the 90 degree banjo fittings are annealed and can be carefully straightened to my preferred 45 degrees, or I can get 2" longer hoses. After several bending attempts the hoses were still too short and binding at maximum turn causing stress on the banjo fittings. Had 2" longer hoses made with outer spring protectors in case the extra length hoses made contact with other parts. J.B. from Deerfield Precision said they were normally not needed but installed them for me anyway. Turns out he was correct and there is no contact in any steering position.

INSTALLED PICS. (Post #70)

N4C3BAL.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump!

I have to do a full brake job so I was looking into stainless braided lines. Stoptech seems to have lines for 2nd gen explorers, but they don't like they're stainless. Did you get a hold of WRXtra? They seem to have moved websites and are now called Deerfield Precision.

Still contemplating and on the fence. Not sure if the cost vs. benefit is there. Anyone?

Deerfield Precision

I used a stainless line like this for the clutch hydralic line on a Nissan Maxima; it made a huge difference in that application. Never used them on brake lines, Good luck.

You can get all four corners in rubber from Raybestos for ~$50 without shipping from Rockauto.com. I found a local shop that will fab some stainless braided for the same price as deerfield precision, so I'd rather support a local shop.

I'm definitely going with the stainless braided lines. The brakes will feel less spongy, and we have a lot of $hit on the roads in Calgary. Either option will outlast the trucks though. You'll have to decide for yourself if it's worth the extra ~70. You probably don't have to worry about salt and ice in hawaii, but with the extra heat there, you would notice the brakes were more solid with stainless.

I ordered the SS brake lines from Deerfield Precision today. My brother left the ebrake on for a day and the rears are cooked. Good excuse as any to upgrade.

Cool. :thumbsup:

Would love to hear fit, build quality, and feel feedback once installed.
Any reason you went with Deerfield Precision and not your local shop?

i've used braided ss brake lines on my hot rods. they give a firmer pedal feel as they don't expand like a regular rubber line will.

Sport Trac?

Deerfield Precision had no listing for the 2002+ Sport or Sport Trac. I wonder if their 2nd generation front brake lines would fit a 2000 Explorer using 2002+ or Sport Trac front spindles.
If the front brake lines are upgraded to stainless steel do the rears also need to be upgraded?

Deerfield Precision had no listing for the 2002+ Sport or Sport Trac. I wonder if their 2nd generation front brake lines would fit a 2000 Explorer using 2002+ or Sport Trac front spindles.
If the front brake lines are upgraded to stainless steel do the rears also need to be upgraded?

you can do just the fronts, but to get the maximum benefit you should do front and back.

Cool. :thumbsup:

Would love to hear fit, build quality, and feel feedback once installed.
Any reason you went with Deerfield Precision and not your local shop?

Fronts were easy, but the rear brackets weren't something they could easily do.

Interesting source, the prices are reasonable and the fittings look right.

Dale, which calipers are you using with those front brakes? If you used the 2000 calipers as you should(better pads than 2002+ calipers), then you can use those 95-01 brake lines. I do still have a spare set of the 01+ Sport/Trac calipers, I could look at. If the brake fitting is the same at the caliper, than the same lines will work for those too.

I think I still have a source here for custom SS lines. I haven't asked them about it in a few years.

I would like to get the rears done also, and the metal junction blocks on the rear are special and not every brake line maker will have them.

The place here can use the old fittings, and weld to them. I had one SS line develop a bad leak which was right at the old caliper fitting, where they joined the SS line to the fitting. I'm not sure if a new fitting would prevent that from happening, or be easier for them to make the line. I would prefer new fittings/blocks if possible.

I ordered the SS brake lines from Deerfield Precision today. My brother left the ebrake on for a day and the rears are cooked. Good excuse as any to upgrade.

It's been a little while, did you get these installed yet? Everything fit ok?

It's been a little while, did you get these installed yet? Everything fit ok?

They just arrived last week. Haven't had a chance to install them yet. Was building a shed this weekend and now it's snowing in Calgary. Haha, I may have to wait until spring now :p

They just arrived last week. Haven't had a chance to install them yet. Was building a shed this weekend and now it's snowing in Calgary. Haha, I may have to wait until spring now :p

Do it now! HAHA. I need to know if they fit. :thumbsup:

Also, I just noticed they have options for lift. I think I would get mine for 2" lift just in case.

I might get lift springs (rear) and do a little TT in the front.

Any update on the brake line install?

Copy on the SST brake lines.

Anyone know where I can get larger \ better Calipers to fit a 98 XLT 2WD?

I got mine a couple weeks ago. Hoping to have them installed next week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got my lines installed today. Picked it up from the mechanic. All they said was the old ones were "fun" to get off.

I haven't driven a lot yet, but I will say the pedal is a lot less "smushy". It feels nice and solid and doesn't take much movement for the brakes to do their job. Overall I like it so far.

I don't remember the guy's name at deerfield, but he was friendly and good to talk too.

Back