Defrost Control Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MichaelWarbux

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area.

Anyways, the issue I'm having on my 2004 Explorer XLT 4.6 V8 is that when I turn my defrost control to either the floor, defrost/floor, or just defrost, NOTHING changes. I'm getting warm and cold air from the defrost and floor vents. When I turn the control to the left for the other front vents and AC, those switch perfectly. I also recently changed out my blend door actuator, so that's working as well.

I read on the forum to check the actuators behind the glove box to see if they're moving or if the pins are broke to the vents. Everything is working fine. I'm getting vacuum pressure to the actuators and both arms are moving. So, what could be the problem here? Is something stuck? Are the actuators only half working? Am I missing a vacuum line somewhere? It's really frustrating.

Has anyone else had this issue or am I continuing to be the guy with the oddly cursed Explorer? Thank you for any help you can provide!

No that is correct.

Floor and Defrost/Floor are the exact same vent settings. Whats different is that floor will only run the AC Compressor if AC is turned on. Defrost/Floor will always run the AC Compressor with in proper operating conditions. I noticed this a couple summer ago and it annoyed me because I actually just wanted floor.. But apparently ford knows better....:banghead:

This is also verified from the 2002 Ford Explorer Work Shop Manual.

Back