defrost doesn't unfreeze wiper blades frozen to windshield | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

defrost doesn't unfreeze wiper blades frozen to windshield

100pctFord

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
I just got two new wiper blades because I wrecked one lifting it off the frozen windshield. (I just got this Explorer a couple of months ago.) Now there was a bit of an ice storm, nothing terrible, and the blades were frozen on the windshield again. So I ran the defroster for 15 minutes. The whole windshield was defrosted except at the base where the wiper blades were still frozen to the windshield. (Inside the cabin it was toasty.) Is there some sort of trick to getting the defrost to unfreeze the wiper blades? And if not, do you think a hair dryer would do the job (without damaging the wiper blades, which were expensive)? Any other suggestions for getting them unfrozen without damaging them? Thanks.

PS. I'm at home so it's not big deal, but this could be quite the hassle if it happens again away from home.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

18-e12e58a8697f_1.09d4c3f372ffdd1a4e657cb621cbc335.jpg

I lift the arms so they're not on the windshield if I expect snow or ice.

If the windshield is already pre-heated by the defroster, you can use warm water to melt the ice off. If the windshield is not pre-heated, use cold water so you don't thermally stress the windshield. Remember it may still be cold where the wipers are frozen down, cold water is always safer... but takes more water to get the job done.

A hair dryer or any other source of heat would work too, just don't heat it too hot, too fast to limit the chance of damaging the glass or seal. You're not likely to damage the wiper itself as long as the hairdryer or whatever is enough inches away to not overheat it, which you'd want to do anyway due to concerns about the glass and seal.

Away from home your best bet is probably to take a jug of windshield washer fluid with you to dump on the wipers, the good stuff that goes down to at least -20F, and better still if it is not as cold as the outdoor temp, though not practical to lug around a jug every time you step outside the vehicle.

Rock Auto has wiper blades around $7 each. I'd keep a spare set in the vehicle too along with tool(s) (don't recall what tools are needed to change them, maybe screwdriver and/or needle nose pliers?) if you expect to be in icy conditions a lot.

Although this won't help anyone here, on some of the 6th gens the windshield has an element built into the bottom of the windshield for just this purpose. It is referred to as Wiper De-Icer. For some unknown reason, Ford decided to eliminate that feature on later models. :dunno:

Peter

If the windshield is already pre-heated by the defroster, you can use warm water to melt the ice off. If the windshield is not pre-heated, use cold water so you don't thermally stress the windshield. Remember it may still be cold where the wipers are frozen down, cold water is always safer... but takes more water to get the job done.

A hair dryer or any other source of heat would work too, just don't heat it too hot, too fast to limit the chance of damaging the glass or seal. You're not likely to damage the wiper itself as long as the hairdryer or whatever is enough inches away to not overheat it, which you'd want to do anyway due to concerns about the glass and seal.

Away from home your best bet is probably to take a jug of windshield washer fluid with you to dump on the wipers, the good stuff that goes down to at least -20F, and better still if it is not as cold as the outdoor temp, though not practical to lug around a jug every time you step outside the vehicle.

Rock Auto has wiper blades around $7 each. I'd keep a spare set in the vehicle too along with tool(s) (don't recall what tools are needed to change them, maybe screwdriver and/or needle nose pliers?) if you expect to be in icy conditions a lot.

Wow, thank you for the super thorough response. I tracked with everything except got a bit lost with:

better still if it is not as cold as the outdoor temp, though not practical to lug around a jug every time you step outside the vehicle.
I wasn't sure what "it" was and why I would need to lug the windshield wiper jug every time I stepped outside the vehicle. Did you mean that the wiper blades were regularly freezing to the windshield?

And thanks for the Rock auto link! OMG! I paid $31 each for my wiper blades!

Although this won't help anyone here, on some of the 6th gens the windshield has an element built into the bottom of the windshield for just this purpose. It is referred to as Wiper De-Icer. For some unknown reason, Ford decided to eliminate that feature on later models. :dunno:

Peter
Hi Peter. With so many Explorers sold in snow country you would think keeping it would be a no-brainer.

I just got two new wiper blades because I wrecked one lifting it off the frozen windshield. (I just got this Explorer a couple of months ago.) Now there was a bit of an ice storm, nothing terrible, and the blades were frozen on the windshield again. So I ran the defroster for 15 minutes. The whole windshield was defrosted except at the base where the wiper blades were still frozen to the windshield. (Inside the cabin it was toasty.) Is there some sort of trick to getting the defrost to unfreeze the wiper blades? And if not, do you think a hair dryer would do the job (without damaging the wiper blades, which were expensive)? Any other suggestions for getting them unfrozen without damaging them? Thanks.

PS. I'm at home so it's not big deal, but this could be quite the hassle if it happens again away from home.
Drizzle a bit of washer fluid on them? Or rubbing alcohol IF it doesn't damage paint that is. Definitely would NOT use a hair dryer, could crack your windshield!

Wow, thank you for the super thorough response. I tracked with everything except got a bit lost with:

I wasn't sure what "it" was and why I would need to lug the windshield wiper jug every time I stepped outside the vehicle. Did you mean that the wiper blades were regularly freezing to the windshield?

And thanks for the Rock auto link! OMG! I paid $31 each for my wiper blades!
I meant you can keep a jug of windshield wiper fluid in the vehicle to (slowly) pour on the wipers, but if you keep the wiper fluid in the vehicle all day long so it is freezing cold, it's not going to thaw the ice anywhere near as well as if it were room temperature (by taking it with you when you're away from home, indoors in a heated area, instead of left in the cold vehicle). It will take more (colder) fluid to get the job done.

Drizzle a bit of washer fluid on them? Or rubbing alcohol IF it doesn't damage paint that is. Definitely would NOT use a hair dryer, could crack your windshield!
Thank you.

Peter
My wifes 2005 Saab had that feature. Very useful during snow and ice storms.

^^^^ That.

Does NOT require any material, any electricity, any special feature on your truck, any chemicals… and will not damage your paint or crack your windshield. And you only need to do it as a snow storm approaches.

Good luck.

Buy a de-icer spray such as Prestone sells, that's about the fastest way to melt the ice. Leaving the wipers standing up is about the best way to avoid the problem if you know it's coming.

Bend up some heavy duty cardboard to use as a redirect for your defroster vent

Don't know how cold it gets where you live but ever try just simply lifting your blades up in the raised position at night?

I keep mine in the garage, so never have that isse.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SIMPLE SOLUTION: Dont waste money on special spray and you don't need a jug of windshield cleaner. Just fill a spray bottle with cleaner and keep it in the car. It does not need to be room temperature as it's the chemical that melts the ice - not the temperature. I haven't scraped a windshield in 20 years and I seldom even lift my wipers. Nor do I run the engine wasting gas and destroying the only planet that has beer! I just soak the windshield with the spray and give it a minute. Sometimes a second application is necessary.

Back