• Register Today It's free!

defrost only?

nvrhapy

Reaction score
City, State
detroit, michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
i have a problem with my temp controls, no matter what setting i put them on the heat or ac only blows out of the defrost vents, if i turnt he dial to the floor or vent it still only blows out of the defrosts vents, whats goin on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check your vaccum lines.

-Drew

The defrost is controlled by a door in the ductwork, actuated by a vacuum motor. Explorerdmb is right, you probably have a leak. Other problems could be a damaged or fallen off linkage between the vacuum motor and the door. I'm not sure about your 96, but my old 92 had the vacuum switch built right into the slider on the heater controls. If you pull it out you will be able to disconnect it and start the engine and determine if there is vacuum present at that point, at least. If there is, then the problem lies in the door or the linkage. If there's no vacuum, the problem will be somewhere between the controls and the engine.

Good luck.

I had the same exact problem on my X a couple of weeks ago, it turned out that the link to the control was broken inside.

I opened it, but couldn't figure it so I took it to the shop and they fixed it, they told me this and repaired it, they explained that normally you should get a new one, but that will take more time bla bla.
so I opted for the easy and fastest way since here in Arizona has been over the 100's.

Hope this helps

I had a problem like that and the 4x4 wasnt working. Turned out to be a disconnected vacume hose. Dont know where though.

Back