• Register Today It's free!

Degree shims

Frost34

Reaction score
City, State
Jonesboro, GA / FT Bragg, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Well, I feel kind of retarded asking this, and its probably been asked before, but I got some degree shims and for some reason I think to raise my pinion angle up I'd have to put the shims in with the fatter end facing to the rear.

pretty much what I'm trying to do is keep myself from having new driveshafts made. I've already broken 2 DS's due to pinion angle at excessive speeds (65-70).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is kind of a confusing post. Do you have a lifted truck? If not, then there's nothing wrong with the pinion angle, and I have no clue why you would be breaking driveshafts. Putting the fatter end toward the back of the truck will lower the pinion angle, tipping the front of the differential down, making the angle worse. You need to put the fatter end toward the front.

Yes j602 is exactly correct!!!

I do have a lift, its about 13in total with the body lift. I did a SOA lift with 4in blocks on a ford 9in rear axle. I put the shims in with the fatter end towards the front and it didnt seem like it did anything. ( 6 degree shims ).

what you need to do is have your spring perches welded on properly to compensate for the horrible angle by someone who knows what they are doing and has the right tools to do it.....

There's not that much to know. As long as you can use a level or angle finder you can do it yourself.

I'd say that pinion angle is pretty out of wack with that much lift. I don't why the shims didn't do anything the first time. Maybe it just wasn't very noticeable. I do know that it sure won't help if you turn them around though.

Got any pictures of your truck?

you should take your truck into a good driveline shop and have them check your pinion angle... are you breaking u-joints or bending the shaft? i would suspect axle wrap more then pinion angle seeing as how your running block's... you can be 3-5* out and not notice it at road speed.

hahahahahaha OH man. Thos shims are not gonna stop the issue, you need to have the spring perches re-welded for the amount of lift you are running. You might also consider a custom driveshaft built for the extreme angles.

I agree that its probably axle wrap that is killing the driveshafts. Get yourself some good lift springs or at least some traction bars.

Are you running a driveshaft with single U-joint at both ends, or with a CV at the transfercase end? With that much lift I assume you've had the driveshaft lengthened to fit right?

Yeah, I had a ds made to accomidate the size of lift, and it has single u-joints at each end. Both time the ds came off was due to the u-joints, they got too hot after driving a few miles, thats why they broke.

Back