• Register Today It's free!

Delay in shifting into reverse

chapsdeva

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
2008 Explorer V6. lately we have been noticing that the transmission is delaying going into reverse...2 second delay. It never used to do this and it seems to happen more when the AC is running. Has anyone else here experienced this issue? I'm getting ready to get the tranny flushed and am hoping that will help. Thanks!

This same thing is happening on my '06 Ex.. and definitely notice it more when the A/C is on. I had my trans rebuilt about 2 years ago now.. so maybe it's time for another trans flush.

I am having the same problem with my 08 Mountaineer V6. The delay when going into reverse is troubling, then it slams into reverse with a noisy clunk. Yikes! Going to get this checked out at the dealer.

Ended up I had a sticking solenoid in the transmission. Dealer replaced the solenoid pack and voila...trans has never shifted so smooth and no more delayed engagement. It wasn't throwing any codes, but a pressure test rindicated the bad solenoid. I am convinced the tranny was not right from new as I had noticed that it had never shifted as smoothly as my 2000 Explorer. That is no more and I am very happy that it happened before the powertrain warrenty expired!!:)

Back