Delay then harsh shift into reverse after rebuild 2007 EB Explorer 5r55s transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Delay then harsh shift into reverse after rebuild 2007 EB Explorer 5r55s transmission

Steveyp21

Reaction score
City, State
Bonaire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I recently had an issue with a 2-3 flare and P7033 and P0745 codes on my 5r55s transmission in my 4.0L 2WD EB explorer. Initially replaced the Shift Soleniod to no avail, followed by a servo change in both OD and Intermediate. Finally dropped the trans out and found a broken Intermediate band. Stripped the trans down and replaced both bands, rebuilt and put it all back in. Had an issue when I put it back where I must have left one of the trans cooling pipes loose and predictably trans fluid filled the garage floor. Remedied this and refilled the trans and seemed to be working fine. Took it out for a rest drive around the block and all gearing seems to work just fine. Got back to the house and selected reverse...

Had a 4/5 second delay followed by an extreme hard shift that slammed the whole car. Moved between R and D a couple of times to see if it eased or was just bedding in. Seemed to get a little worse, then the main radiator pipe popped off under the hood and sprayed coolant everywhere!

I put the pipe back on and refilled the coolant. Now when I turn run the car in park it sounds like I am getting a hissing noise from the back left of fhe engine compartment.

Firstly any help with the harsh reverse shift? Has had new filter, new shift solenoid and oil level is good.

Secondly any idea why the pressure built so much that the radiator pipe popped off? It must be something I did on the trans as I didn't touch any of fhe engine components?!

Currently only showing P1000- FF code but nothing else, engine temp sits on the middle of H and C so seems ok.

Any help would be gratefully received as I am at my wits end with this car. Nine of this happened before hand so it must be something I have done...

HELP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

havebyou greased slip yoke i think someone mentioned that before? also, check the VB. usually those are rhe easiest causes of these harsh engagement delayed shufts, as it doesnt have enough pressure due to some leak etc to command servo, so it raises pressure super high to force it to engage, this could be why the line popped if it wasnt super secure, as if there is a leak line pressure is raised considerably over normal... coyld also be a reverso servo gasket, and is the viton d ring kit still a thing?

also iirc there was a tsb for thhs like 5-21-8 pr something like that

You may want to try to relearn the trans. YouTube videos on it. Also did you do a band adjustment.

So update....

I took the pan down check over the reverse band. Firstly the tab and spring that the reverse servo engage seem to work just fine and depressing the tab engages the band and it grips the drum, however when it is not engaged it seems very loose?
I checked the reverse servo and a and it all seems good, had a new filter and used some sea foam in there fore good measure. I put the VB back in and followed the torque sequence and right torque setting.

After putting it back together there is still a short delay before reverse engages and the vehicle moves back. However when in reverse if I hit the gas over abot 1200 rims the engine just revs and the vehicle doesn't go any faster. If I maintain around 1200 rims the vehicle will pick up speed in reverse. There is also a slight bu.p when going into 3-4th but only very slightly.

I have a feeling that the reverse band is either worn out or broken, although it seems to grip a little? Maybe its in the way out? Also any idea what the delay in engaging reverse might be?

Only things left to replace are the VB and rear band, already done everything else!

do not, and i emphasize, DO NOT rev the motor before reverse engages, creates a shock thruout the driveline and is a sure way to earn a rebuild later don the line, much harsher on the tranny and the components having to engage w extra stress!!! dont do that!! also, is aseafoam tranny compatible? that stuff isnt as slick as trans fluid imo... as for the delay, could be bands, could be slip yoke, could be low line pressure in R, could be many things... for this ill select E for not enough info... then i can select ABC or D once more info is provided as to pressure, etc 🤣

So I now have rhe rans out and the reverse servo, reverse band and gearing all appears to be ok? I have bought a new band anyway as I am already here so might as well change it. There are no broken parts or perished seals etc. Everything looks OK. There is some bluing on the reverse gearing housing and the back of the case, but the sprag gear looks ok and output shift splines all good. When taking apart, the reverse band was a little slack, but engaged when the spring flap was depressed with a screwdriver. The only thing I can think of is the VB causing issues, but again nothing appears to be out of place or broken. Worth swapping out the VB? Other than that, I value no idea what was causing the problem in reverse?!

do not, and i emphasize, DO NOT rev the motor before reverse engages, creates a shock thruout the driveline and is a sure way to earn a rebuild later don the line, much harsher on the tranny and the components having to engage w extra stress!!! dont do that!! also, is aseafoam tranny compatible? that stuff isnt as slick as trans fluid imo... as for the delay, could be bands, could be slip yoke, could be low line pressure in R, could be many things... for this ill select E for not enough info... then i can select ABC or D once more info is provided as to pressure, etc 🤣
Thanks fix4dirt, I appreciate the insight. I am going to thoroughly check out the VB, clean up and check all the internals amd casing to see if there is anything obvious. On first look nothing appear to be out of place, so I will change any parts that look worn/blued and get it back together, once I have ot back in I can have a look at pressures etc and hopefully give some more info on to help with the assist!

You need to disconnect battery and short the cables, and then reconnect it, and let the engine idle 10 minutes or so, for the transmission to fully relearn. One of my post has a YouTube video.

Back