Delayed accessory feed in police connector | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Delayed accessory feed in police connector

turbo2ltr

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Police Interceptor
I've been using the delayed feed in the police connector to control my radios. When I first got the car it worked as expected. When you turn off the car, it stays on for a certain time (like 20 minutes) Once in a blue moon when I turned the car off, it would immediately turn off. But it was very rare.

Now two years later, about 50%+ of the time I turn the car off, the output turns off immediately. But sometimes it stays on.. It got progressively worse as time went on. I have no idea why..

Anyone else use this output? It's pin 10 GN/VT DEL ASSY.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem.

I haven't figured out the cause yet.

I've been using the delayed feed in the police connector to control my radios. When I first got the car it worked as expected. When you turn off the car, it stays on for a certain time (like 20 minutes) Once in a blue moon when I turned the car off, it would immediately turn off. But it was very rare.

Now two years later, about 50%+ of the time I turn the car off, the output turns off immediately. But sometimes it stays on.. It got progressively worse as time went on. I have no idea why..

Anyone else use this output? It's pin 10 GN/VT DEL ASSY.

If it's a relay-controlled circuit, perhaps the relay is faulty, as in it's opening when it's not supposed to sometimes, but not other times.

If it was faulty, I would think that it would turn off at other times. It just doesn't delay sometimes when you turn the car off. Seems like a cumulative software bug. I might try disconnecting the battery for some time and see if it gets any better.

There's actually a tsb for the trucks about this issue. Not sure if it applies to the explorers too.

Thinking it might be the BMS trying to protect the battery, I put mine on a charger overnight.

Power points are working as they should now.

Thinking it might be the BMS trying to protect the battery,

This is an interesting hypothesis. My battery is over 2 years old now and in AZ thats kinda how much you get out of one, But I have been noticing in the morning that the battery is at about 12.1v in the morning before I start it which had me thinking I will need to replace it soon. Still starts fine, but I never considered the BMS turning it off because of low voltage. I will do further testing.

BCM kills the power points if the BMS indicates that the battery charge state is under 65%.

Mine was 39, so I reset the BMS with forscan.

Points are working and the state reads 90%

This is an interesting hypothesis. My battery is over 2 years old now and in AZ thats kinda how much you get out of one, But I have been noticing in the morning that the battery is at about 12.1v in the morning before I start it which had me thinking I will need to replace it soon. Still starts fine, but I never considered the BMS turning it off because of low voltage. I will do further testing.
My 2013 Ford ute police start fine all way down to 10v

Back