Delayed engagement on 1 and R - help please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Delayed engagement on 1 and R - help please

pjm

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4WD
Hi,

Need some input from the wizards here please. Here's the story using the guidelines from "Common Sense":

1. 1996 Ford Explorer
2. 4 wheel drive,
3. V6
4. 108K miles
5. rebuilt transmission from Roadmaster installed in Oct 2007
6. Delayed engagement into first and reverse - can take 15 seconds or more to engage
7. No codes (no visible DTCs)
8. Fluid level full, pink color, Mobil 1
10. Have not changed fluid or filter since install (3 months ago)
12. No ATF fluid leaks under the truck when parked.
13. No electrical malfunctions
14. Engine is running a little rough at idle but is generally running strong. Prior to tranny install, code was thrown for misfire. This has not recurred since install.
15. Mods: see signature line - have Bama Chips tuner with an extra 10% bump on line pressure, otherwise running 92 performance tune at its out-of-the-box settings. Transmission is completely stock rebuild.
16. Transmission delays engagement of 1 or R for a long time on cold start. Engine freewheels when accelerator is pressed. This delay on one occasion lasted long enough for me to coast down my driveway, use my momentum to park, and think I was going to have to call a tow truck. when delay is this long, it usually helps if I turn it off and then restart.

Any ideas? thanks very much!

Edit: This only seems to happen when cold and does not recur on restart when warm. If solenoid malfunction, wouldn't it also fail when warm?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had this in the manual and the automatic...

Hi there...

1. If manual - clutch/slave cylinder issue.
2. If auto - solenoids/solenoid pack (I've heard it called)

the fluid level was checked properly on both sides of the dipstick? go with the lowest mark of oil on the dipstick when running in park

???

the fluid level was checked properly on both sides of the dipstick? go with the lowest mark of oil on the dipstick when running in park

Any idea why numbers 9 and 11 are blank?? Is this some code? :shifty_ey

No, it's not a code. One of the main tranny guru's on the site has a list of everything you should provide for info if you want help. Info for 9 and 11 were already provided on other lines - see "Common Sense" sticky in tranny section.

Just having fun

No, it's not a code. One of the main tranny guru's on the site has a list of everything you should provide for info if you want help. Info for 9 and 11 were already provided on other lines - see "Common Sense" sticky in tranny section.

It's aallll good! :cool:

From what you are describing, I would suggest replacing the O rings on the low/reverse servo with the viton D ring kit. If that does not help, then you could do a few other things, such as replace the EPC solenoid, add end plugs with O rings, add a boost valve with O rings, and a shift kit which mentions the delay with low, and reverse. Try the viton kit first before making a big job out of this. Find out if the transmission shop replaced anything on the valve body. You might be better off going back to the shop instead of investing time, and money. Any work you do might void the warranty.

it is, if you use your left mouse button and drag across the line it will appear highlited, its actually typed out in the same color as the background, thats why you cant see it. :salute:

It says...

it is, if you use your left mouse button and drag across the line it will appear highlited, its actually typed out in the same color as the background, thats why you cant see it. :salute:

Happy New Year!

BrooklynBay, you are under our command!

Don't resist, just laugh along!

Back