• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Deleting/removing third row seat

Bwana Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Morris Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Is there an option to order an Explorer without the third row seat to allow for cargo space under the deck? Has anyone done a mod to accomplish this?

Also, will a full size spare tire fit in the spare tire bay?

To me, a third row seat looks "so minivan" and I can't conceive of an Explorer with a compact spare (that seems like a recipe for disaster).

I don't know if this would be a deal breaker, but maybe someone already has a clever mod for these two issues.

Thanks.

Bwana Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

1tufgt

Reaction score
City, State
Bluegrass St.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT Sport Trim
Is there an option to order an Explorer without the third row seat to allow for cargo space under the deck? Has anyone done a mod to accomplish this?

Also, will a full size spare tire fit in the spare tire bay?

To me, a third row seat looks "so minivan" and I can't conceive of an Explorer with a compact spare (that seems like a recipe for disaster).

I don't know if this would be a deal breaker, but maybe someone already has a clever mod for these two issues.

Thanks.

Bwana Bob
No you can't order without the 3rd row but some have done the modification and removed their third rows. Just search.

Does not come with a full size spare. It won't fit without removal of third row seat.

MikeCallery

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT Tri-Coat
Removing the 3rd row seat after you get it is not all that difficult. I've done it and created a great cargo space back there that is hidden by a deck that goes across the top from right behind the rear seat.

That said, the space allocated to the tire is designed for a mini. If you tried to put a full size, I just don't think it would fit. First, the circumference is wider, so I doubt it would fit into the opening and then if it did, it would stick up to a level making the space possibly unusable.

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer SPORT
You could order the 2013 Interceptor Utility, it has no 3rd row seat and comes with a cargo mat hard floor for maximum cargo area.

jammerdave

Reaction score
City, State
West Sacramento
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer
pix?

Removing the 3rd row seat after you get it is not all that difficult. I've done it and created a great cargo space back there that is hidden by a deck that goes across the top from right behind the rear seat.

That said, the space allocated to the tire is designed for a mini. If you tried to put a full size, I just don't think it would fit. First, the circumference is wider, so I doubt it would fit into the opening and then if it did, it would stick up to a level making the space possibly unusable.
Have any pix of your cargo area with the deck above it? Looking to do something similar to a new '12 special project vehicle here at work.

Thanks!

Bwana Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Morris Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Mike, I like your mods. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Sgt, can one order the Interceptor, or is it only available to fleets of government agencies?

Bob

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Removing cargo quarter glass for working door/panel? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
T Removing OEM Hid Headlight Bulbs Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 7
S Quick Question - Removing 2nd row dome light Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
G Removing Roof Rack Crossrails Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
1 About removing the SMD LED on circuit board for 2nd/ 3rd row Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
C removing chrome trim Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 8
L Thinking about removing chrome overlay Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
E Removing the "aluminum" look trim in 2013 Ford Explorer Sport Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
H removing grille and mirror caps on base model Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
T Removing the Door Panel Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 7
O Adding / Removing Dash Trim Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 23
S Removing stickers or de-badging Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 19
G TPMS and removing and remounting tires Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 13
A Removing the grille Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 52
D Removing Driver Side Scuff Plate Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
M Removing 3rd Row Seats & Installing Cross Brace Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 144
G Removing or trimming air dam Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
T Removing or Trimming Front Air Deflector / Dam Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 105
P Third row seat speakers Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
H Third Brake light Flash Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 12
C Illuminated Third row buttons Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
W flashing third brake light Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 19