• Register Today It's free!

Deleting/removing third row seat

Bwana Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Morris Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Is there an option to order an Explorer without the third row seat to allow for cargo space under the deck? Has anyone done a mod to accomplish this?

Also, will a full size spare tire fit in the spare tire bay?

To me, a third row seat looks "so minivan" and I can't conceive of an Explorer with a compact spare (that seems like a recipe for disaster).

I don't know if this would be a deal breaker, but maybe someone already has a clever mod for these two issues.

Thanks.

Bwana Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there an option to order an Explorer without the third row seat to allow for cargo space under the deck? Has anyone done a mod to accomplish this?

Also, will a full size spare tire fit in the spare tire bay?

To me, a third row seat looks "so minivan" and I can't conceive of an Explorer with a compact spare (that seems like a recipe for disaster).

I don't know if this would be a deal breaker, but maybe someone already has a clever mod for these two issues.

Thanks.

Bwana Bob

No you can't order without the 3rd row but some have done the modification and removed their third rows. Just search.

Does not come with a full size spare. It won't fit without removal of third row seat.

Removing the 3rd row seat after you get it is not all that difficult. I've done it and created a great cargo space back there that is hidden by a deck that goes across the top from right behind the rear seat.

That said, the space allocated to the tire is designed for a mini. If you tried to put a full size, I just don't think it would fit. First, the circumference is wider, so I doubt it would fit into the opening and then if it did, it would stick up to a level making the space possibly unusable.

You could order the 2013 Interceptor Utility, it has no 3rd row seat and comes with a cargo mat hard floor for maximum cargo area.

pix?

Removing the 3rd row seat after you get it is not all that difficult. I've done it and created a great cargo space back there that is hidden by a deck that goes across the top from right behind the rear seat.

That said, the space allocated to the tire is designed for a mini. If you tried to put a full size, I just don't think it would fit. First, the circumference is wider, so I doubt it would fit into the opening and then if it did, it would stick up to a level making the space possibly unusable.

Have any pix of your cargo area with the deck above it? Looking to do something similar to a new '12 special project vehicle here at work.

Thanks!

Mike, I like your mods. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Sgt, can one order the Interceptor, or is it only available to fleets of government agencies?

Bob

Does anyone have the procedure for 3rd row seat removal 2018 Sport with pictures please? Seems as if all the picture links I find no longer work.

Back