• Register Today It's free!

delta cam rocker arms trashed

toomanyfords

Reaction score
City, State
Rockville,MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
98,93,and 91 explorers
Ok, so i would like your alls opinion on this. About 1500 miles ago i rebuilt the top end in my 98due to a cracked head. This rebuild included new heads from j and c, new ebay lifters, delta cam rods and rocker arms. Well i shouldnt have bought cheap ebay lifters cause every start up i got a horrible tapping for about the first ten seconds. I got tired of it and tore it back down to inspect. Well what i found is odd, the tapping was right side of engine, but with both sides torn down i found the rocker arms on the right side were trashed where the arm rides on the valve stem. The left side has normal 1500 mile wear. Now knowing i couldnt have six bad lifters on one side and six good ones on the other, my question is what do you think could cause this? Thanks in advance as im scared to rrplace rockers and tear up another set

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well... I have heard stories of crappy rockers from delta, I emailed with Delta Ken who told me they rework factory rockers so against some member's advice I ordered up a set... can you post pics of the damage?

Ya ill run out and snap pics after dinner, i gotta have a photobucket to post pics right?

yes you do. I think you need on either side of the url?

Talk later, off to work I go.

IMAG0232.jpg
IMAG0233.jpg
IMAG0234.jpg

anyone think this could be an oiling issue? I use amsoil and I only see one oil galley in the head which goes up to the rockers and its not clogged or anything, unless its an oiling problem in the rockers but I dont see how they oil the valve stem side. any opinions are welcome and appreciated, I want this thing back on the road so I can start my m5od swap in my 91

Left side looks OK but right side does have noticeable wear. maybe we can get jd4242 to have a look... I will PM him.

JD had a rocker arm from Delta Cam actually explode on the valve side, he'll just rant about how crappy they are. :p:

They say they reman Ford rockers, however I don't believe it. I've got a picture in my build thread of a brand new set of Ford rockers compared to someone else's delta cams, the oil journals on Ford's are HUGE compared to Delta's.

Granted, the journals are on the pushrod side, quality control is an issue at Delta, and so is customer service (in my experience at least).

Thats just crappy rockers!!some will wear REAL bad and some wont.mine looked like that after a couple miles!!dono had a set two and removed his because the same issue.i called and they replaced one whole shaft as they said it might have been a random bad set but they set they replaced did it too then YES i had one explode and lock my valve open!!!i replaced it with a rocker off the spare shaft i had from witch they sent me!! I didnt not call them back and am very disappointed with they crap and just wish they would refund me my money!!im pulling mine back out when i put my supercharger on and replacing them with sealed power rockers,ill post pics of had worn they are.PS i run brand new lifters and used a pushrod measurer so there is no slack or problems with anything else.

Just do a search..they stuff is trash!!i wouldnt advise anyone to use or run any of there crap!!:(

Appreciate the responses guys, im gonna giv them a call today. I got a set in my 91 with no problems but being remand i guess there all a gamble

Pull the covers off,i bet some are worn.

So would you say i should get some rocker arms off like rockauto and rebuild the set thats on there now or get another one from delta cause they owe me? Also does anyone know stock pushrod length with stock rockers since ill need new ones if i go the rockauto route, thanks again

I say use rock auto seal power ones.stock should be 5.475 i belive but ill measure when i get home for you.let me know if they refund your money.

Wait tho you have comp cams cam? You wouldnt use stock lenght pushrods.need smith brothers 5.550.but you should allways measure.( disclaimer)

Stock cam in this one. I have a 410 in my 91, thanks

Gotcha

Got me wondering now if I should have bothered ordering these. Let us know how you make out with delta.

Got me wondering now if I should have bothered ordering these. Let us know how you make out with delta.

I woulndnt have.they also have a much smaller oil hole than a stock rocker.i also think they mess up the ratio of them by grinding one side and drilling out the other to press in the cup.ill find some picks later and post

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back