Demented front suspension | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Demented front suspension

Post number 7 has been selected as best answered.

Any suggestions on HIGH QUALITY units
I put Mevotech everything on my 98 RWD front end. I think I'd use Moog alignment bolt kit just for the grease port. I have nothing but great things to say about Mevotech. A before and after shot of upper control arm and ball joint and first corrosion barrier. As far as corrosion control my time in the navy put me up close and center. I continue to use Cosmoline RP-342(only).

Moog K100348 Alignment Caster/Camber Kit Just because​

cosmoline-rp-342-heavy-rust-preventative-spray-3-pack.jpg IMG_7300.JPG IMG_7269.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Specialty Products Alignment Cam Bolt Kit from O'reillys worked great for my recent 2001 XLT front suspension rebuild.

I'd have to say we don't even get a real winter here. When it gets below 45 people are talking about the weather. I had a 91 EB 4x4 that kept me busy. It had been sitting and used for storage until my dad and I rolled it out of his barn. With in a year I finally donated it to the Wounded Warriors who 6 months later gave it to a family of 5. Very cool. I've have engine parts some tested good some new, just need to post and someone will grab them. Mr. New York, have you come across a product that stands above the others for C/C?

View attachment 326393

View attachment 326394

Thanks for that great picture of the upper control arm. I'm struggling to get the bolt past the fuel lines! How did you manage to do it? Mines a 1997 standard explorer and looks exactly the same as your picture.

Repeat.

To get the bolt past the fuel and Evap lines remove the lines from their plastic retainer
Next you need to locate the control arm so the bolt will clear
With the alignment plates out of the way push the control arm all the way into the holder on the front side of truck and all the way out at the rear. Now wiggle the front bolt out.
Move control arm the opposite now front bushing all the way out, rear side pushed all the way in towards engine, now wiggle the rear bolt out past the Evap lines

Install new bolts is reverse

To get the bolt past the fuel and Evap lines remove the lines from their plastic retainer
Next you need to locate the control arm so the bolt will clear
With the alignment plates out of the way push the control arm all the way into the holder on the front side of truck and all the way out at the rear. Now wiggle the front bolt out.
Move control arm the opposite now front bushing all the way out, rear side pushed all the way in towards engine, now wiggle the rear bolt out past the Evap lines

Install new bolts is reverse
That is great, thanks for the method, It's the rear bolt that I am stuck on !!!
I have not removed the fuel and evap lines as I wasn't sure if I needed to do anything special to reconnect and reinstate them? (I did bend them a bit but not enough to get the bolt passed!)

Just push them out of the big white plastic retainer so you can shove them out if your way
You can press them back in place after the job is over
I have done 100 ball joints on these front ends

On the drivers side I am not afraid to bend brake lines or Evap lines to get access to the uca bolts

Just push them out of the big white plastic retainer so you can shove them out if your way
You can press them back in place after the job is over
I have done 100 ball joints on these front ends

On the drivers side I am not afraid to bend brake lines or Evap lines to get access to the uca bolts
Hey man that's just great.
It's stormy rain just now but I'll try this as soon as I can get to it.. :)

Hey man that's just great.
It's stormy rain just now but I'll try this as soon as I can get to it.. :)
Just an update ----- Managed to get the upper and lower control arms changed on the left hand side, thanks for all your help!!
So, the steering wheel was then off centre when going straight ahead. So got the wheel alignment checked and adjusted and the steering returned to normal.
I'll be putting the Explorer in to the garage for a service soon so I might ask then to check the toe-in - toe-out setting.

Anywhoo thanks for help

You can check/ adjust toe yourself rather easily!

Back