Dent to fix. Bondo or Fiberglass? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dent to fix. Bondo or Fiberglass?

I know search. Will do tommorrow, but in the mean time, I have a question.

I was wheeling and my "buddy" kept pulling me when I was out enough.
th_073.jpg
Here's a vid for what happened. The last jerk is when you can see my truck hit the tree! Tou can hear my exhaust in this too!
Here's the dent.
n506840437_4831289_5353.jpg

Truck001.jpg

Truck002.jpg

You can see the bondo cracking in between my fingers.
Truck003.jpg

The gap created under the window from the push in.
Truck004.jpg

Truck005.jpg

These two show the difference between both sides.
Truck006.jpg

Truck007.jpg

Well apparently one of the previous owners had a dent and used bondo to fix it. Looked good minus a few little bubbles. Well, when my truck hit the tree a lot of the bondo went with it. I've sanded it down and painted the parts that were exposed. Now, that it's cold I guess, more is flaking off. So today I bought more sand paper and paint. Am planning on doing the same thing I did before. The picture shows what I did.

My question is, should I use Fiberglass or bondo in stead, or just leave it sanded and painted. More of a "trail look" to it.
I have no experience in the area of body work, except for what I've seen on car shows and what I did in this pic. Which was just removing as much as I could with chisel and sandpaper. Then I painted it.

Will try to get a better pic tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you can get to that area by taking of the left interior panel in the trunk. I would try and re-shape the metal as much as I could, because I don't think just globing bondo on the dent would be that good of an idea. That being said I don't really know the pros and cons of bondo vs. fiberglass for this type or repair.

As he said, try and work the dent out from the back the best you can. Take the area to be repaired down to bare metal and then then use Evercoat body filler, not Bondo brand.

Fiberglass is much more difficult to sand and feather than body filler. A good body filler, properly applied will last as long as the vehicle.

So how hard is it to gain access to that part? I've gotten in there before but the wiper fluid container was in the way and I couldn't get it out. I don't really think I need it. I'll try to take it apart tomorrow. Evercoat huh? Does advance stock that stuff? I need a plug in drill that can drill through metal and also put sanding wheels on!

Also, is there any tips on here as to go about the bondo process?
I found this one. Anything else?

That was a very good article and should be all you need to get the job done. You may be able to find some videos on Youtube showing the process. Just search there for body filler.

Not sure about how to access that area since my entire plastic side has been off for several years.

That was a very good article and should be all you need to get the job done. You may be able to find some videos on Youtube showing the process. Just search there for body filler.

Not sure about how to access that area since my entire plastic side has been off for several years.

Do you have a pic of the rear cargo area of your truck? I'd like to get a feel for what it would look like with the plastics off.

I read that article and feel confident that I can do so myself. Looks like I'll be buying some new tools!

PERSONALLY I would leave it as a character mark on a trail rig.

If I were to fix it I would remove the quarter interrior trim pannel and the quarter glass. Work the metal. If the metal cant be worked out enough I would use a foundation of fiberglass and the mud over top of it with like Rick said "evercoat products"

Check my thread Body work 101 stickied to the top of the body work section. Some tips and pointers on working with body filler.

PERSONALLY I would leave it as a character mark on a trail rig.

If I were to fix it I would remove the quarter interrior trim pannel and the quarter glass. Work the metal. If the metal cant be worked out enough I would use a foundation of fiberglass and the mud over top of it with like Rick said "evercoat products"

Check my thread Body work 101 stickied to the top of the body work section. Some tips and pointers on working with body filler.

I would leave it too, but it's my daily driver as well! haha
I might do so anyways, but I am thinking of my selling the girl, so we'll see. I don't mind the added character, but the next owner might!:eek:

I read the entire thread on your body work already. Nice write up. I will remove the innards and push it out as much as I can and see what to do from there.
Thanks guys. THIS SITE ROCKS!

Back