• Register Today It's free!

Denver Mechanic recco?

bpjohns

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
Hello all, just picked up a 2001 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD. Has almost 200k miles but redone stock suspension and fluids serviced plus new tires, so I figured it would make a good winter runabout.

Looking for a recco for a general mechanic in the Denver metro area.

Strong coolant smell when running and stopped, not as bad when driving. Dealer doesn't find any leaks but pressure test shows a drop, so I'm hoping it's not the heater core, since I read that the dash has to come out.

If I'm going to pay someone to work on this I'd like someone who can dig deep into the cooling problem, perhaps it is something else entirely, and if they do need to do the heater core, they would be aware of the blend door issue replacement as well :)

Thanks!
Ben

Hello all, just picked up a 2001 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD. Has almost 200k miles but redone stock suspension and fluids serviced plus new tires, so I figured it would make a good winter runabout.

Looking for a recco for a general mechanic in the Denver metro area.

Strong coolant smell when running and stopped, not as bad when driving. Dealer doesn't find any leaks but pressure test shows a drop, so I'm hoping it's not the heater core, since I read that the dash has to come out.

If I'm going to pay someone to work on this I'd like someone who can dig deep into the cooling problem, perhaps it is something else entirely, and if they do need to do the heater core, they would be aware of the blend door issue replacement as well :)

Thanks!
Ben
I know it's been a decade since you posted......but did you ever find your shop? I'm happy to be the DIY dude on my '93 Explorer, but I can't seem to find a shop willing to do work that's beyond my skills (like A/C service). I've called 3 local shops and all have said, "sorry, it's just too old for us".

I know it's been a decade since you posted......but did you ever find your shop? I'm happy to be the DIY dude on my '93 Explorer, but I can't seem to find a shop willing to do work that's beyond my skills (like A/C service). I've called 3 local shops and all have said, "sorry, it's just too old for us".
The OP hasn’t been checked in on this site since March of 2012...
I would guess that shops don’t want to do your AC because it’s the old R12 and it’s not very available anymore, but anything else on a 93 should not be a problem?
If you’re in Denver, there’s got to many more shops, I’d look for a place with old guys working in it. They appreciate old stuff. I know because I am one. ;)

Back