DENVER..WTF is up with all the Cameras on the side of the road? BIG BROTHER? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

DENVER..WTF is up with all the Cameras on the side of the road? BIG BROTHER?

espnfreak

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
Those cams are at intersections most likely to make it 1000X easier to figure exactly what happened during a accident

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Matte

Reaction score
City, State
Trollhattan, Sweden
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4X4 4,0i SOHC
We have those speedingcameras here in Sweden too,
but they are not very effective. If you have your "sunshield"
down it will protect your face and so on. The law (in sweden)
says that the ticket only could go to the driver.
This week I read that the police have sugested to
change the law just so they could get the tiket to
the
one who ownes the car:mad:
I hope they don´t get thru with it.

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
There are liscene plate frames that will not allow the photo of your plate to come out.....thats the good news. PLus they are clear so unless a cop is really looking to pull you over and knows it's an "Illegal" plate cover you have no worries.

I always thought an officer of the law had to be present to witness a crime and issue a citation. How is a camera an officer of the law?

They tried this before and I thought the vans were banned, but I saw one the other day.

I should be allowed to view the footage from the camera's and give cops tickets too. I can GUARANTEE that when a ticket pops up for a cop car, or any city owner vehicle they throw it away, that is discrimination if you ask me...SUE SUE SUE, why not everybody else does.

If they start putting up too many camera's, the public better be smart enough to get the word out on their locations so we can start a website and keep everyone informed. Then you will just have people speeding right up to the stupid camera, slowing down, and speeding right back up, sounds safer just to let them speed......

Howard

Moderator Elite Explorer
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milton Keynes
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 SOHC UK SPEC
mmpc
In UK they always take the picture from the rear so the radar is facing away from you therefore however good your detector is it is rendered usless and the've got you again.:mad:
Also there are some of those license protectors over here and I can tell you they don't work at all. They used to work on the film based cameras but these new digital one don't use the visable spectrum and penotrate any cover you care to fit.

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
Unless they get the car in front of you, your detector will pick that up. Thats what they are made for, the cops can always use the trigger to get you, by the time the alert goes off it;s too late, but there is always somebody up ahead speeding too so it will pick it up when they zap them. So I guess I just have to leave it on and follow speeders all day :)

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
They could also be traffic cameras. Since they aren't at intersections (for red light runners), they sound like the cameras we have along the freeway and some other places around town..

In the morning one of the TV station has a traffic guy and in the background you can see the video from the cameras (I can even tell what camera it is and where it is in town).. They use those when there are accidents and traffic issues.. not for speeding (they don't take enough frames/second for that)...

~Mark

Fischer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Durango, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT 4x4
From an educated guess I think they are CDOT (Colorado Dept. of Transportation) cameras to see the flow of traffic. Then they can adjust light timing and such better. Also this stretch of Dry Creek is notorious for the traffic lights going out at the hint of any weather fluctuation, rain, wind....

Now my girlfriend got a fine in the mail for 80 bones. I guess it was in a 'school' zone (school out for summer at the time) and she was doing 31 mph in a supposed 20 zone. I kind of thought that this is redick because I am under the impresson that the "School Zones" are only 20mph for certain times of the day, when school is actually in session.

Pretty lame that she gets a fine for that hoopla. Leaving the hospital at 7am (nurse) tired and no one around and she is unaware of a "school" zone that is not even posted...
I am not sure that these other cameras in question are the culprit but that was and is just my theory. I just don't like the feeling of cameras recording my daily driving, even if it is only from work to home.

mmpc

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Escape: No Boundaries
Well, I had the digicam with me today and decided to snap a couple shots so nobody's confused anymore. :)

Here's an example of the cameras I was talking about:

Dead Link Removed

and here's an example of the strobe sensors that jimabena74 was referring to (left of the traffic light, on top of the pole):

Dead Link Removed