Deployed Air Bag Question

Fire488

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe Township, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Limited V8
Hello guys and gals,
Had a minor MVA yesterday and the front, driver's side, steering wheel air bag deployed. Minor front bumper damage with cracked grill. Other than that it seems fine. I see new air bags listed on Ebay ranging in price from $95.00 to $350.00 ( can it be purchased cheaper somewhere else?), but what I am not sure about is whether or not the module would need to be replaced since the air bag deployed. Does the current module sense a new air bag when replaced? Is there a way to reset the module?
I will be doing this repair myself since I have no collision insurance and cannot afford to have it repaired any other way. Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I just really need to know if the air bag module needs to be replaced or can be reset prior to installing new air bag.... Anyone?

I know there used to be a big problem with people finding out that they had purchased a used vehicle that no airbags. I would think the OBDII would pick that up...

I have an OBDII reader / eraser. I am jut nervous that when i hook the new airbag up and then reconnect the battery that the airbag will deploy again.

you'd need a special OBD2 reader that can read SRS codes. standard OBD2 reader won't pull those codes.

Thanks for the replies guys. I did find out some information from other boards as well as countless phone calls as to what will be needed. Its apparent that the members here have little to no experience with airbags once they are deployed. I will post the accurate info that I found shortly. It is costly I will say that.

Buy a new or used module from an un-wrecked vehicle. They cannot be "reflashed" as some people might think. Programming will be needed.

Thank you boomin. I found that out as well.

MAKE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY COMPLETELY BEFORE TOUCHING ANYTHING RELATED TO THE SRS SYSTEM.AND AFTER DISCONNECTING TURN THE KEY TO THE CRANK POSITION AND RETURN TO THE OFF POSITION. THIS PROCESS BLEEDS ANY POTENTIAL CURRENT REMAINING IN ANY CAPACITORS THAT CAN TRIGGER THE SRS SYSTEM.
Okay, so what I found out after doing some digging was that as boomin said was that the module CANNOT be re-flashed or reprogrammed. One an air bag is deployed the module MUST be replaced no matter what the aftermarket companies out there claim. The Impact Severity Sensors from the affected areas MUST be replaced as well. They are sometimes referred to as "airbag sensors", "crash sensors", etc and in my case are on the front behind the bumper. Obviously the airbag needs to be replaced as well....From all I have learned it is ok to purchase a used airbag that has not been deployed obviously. Seat belt Buckle Retractor assembly. if deployed as well. You can tell if they deployed if the accordion style design under the buckle is distorted and pulled down.

Ths whole venture will be extremely expensive and I will quote the price

Buy a new or used module from an un-wrecked vehicle. They cannot be "reflashed" as some people might think. Programming will be needed.
Had mine reset by myairbag.com, I am now researching if I have to replace crash sensors, had low impact hit. Cn conflicting info on crash sensors.

The hit severity is irrelevant if the bags deployed. Replace all the parts.

Back