Derek's 02 xlt 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Derek's 02 xlt 4.0

as of 4/2/13:
I got my 2002 explorer xlt this year and I've been looking at the forums for a while and within the first month of owning it I started upgrading it.

here she is stock

zkhlhk.jpg

First upgrade: 3 inch body lift. 265/75/16r good year wranglers. new 16x8 rims.

2q9z252.jpg

there is a small amount of rubbing at full turn. but other then that they fit perfect. problem only comes in parking lots at low speeds so not a big problem.
next up: exhaust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really like the look of those wheels with the bl, it makes a really huge difference. I just go the same size tires in bfg's all-terrains on my sport and experience the same thing in parking lots haha. I really wanna figure out were it rubs because I can't reproduce it when its parked, but not too bad just gotta take my time and make a little wider turns now.

I have the same problem lol, drive through some mud thenn leave the dirt in the wheel wells. Then when you rub itt willl leave a clean spot inside.

Haha thanks for the tip seems simple enough. Suppose to rain here in rhe next couple days so I'll definitely give that a try

I got my brown wire mod finished, it went well. and works great. my switch dont light up, but not a big deal. heres a pic of where I put the switch.

mrpa3d.jpg

the exhaust is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. and I guess I'm goin to the shop to figure out my steering wheel problem.

the exhaust got done to day, i went with a single flowmaster 40 and a new tip.

2ryj3iv.jpg

rupcat.jpg

1znbpcl.jpg

5znm0l.jpg

so at the moment its pretty well done for quite a bit considering I ran out of money for a while.
but heres a list of things I plan to add in the future when the cash is saved up some (posting it here so I can keep it all organized)

-cargo liner - http://www.amazon.com/Weathertech-4...eywords=weathertech+cargo+liner+2002+explorer
-truck box - http://www.amazon.com/Buyers-Produc...=poly+plastic+storage+chest#productDetails
-f150 tow hooks
-oem sub enclosure (mesh to cover it = http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-4-FT-ME...ccessories&hash=item5aeed96c59#ht_2632wt_1093)
-8 inch kicker http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CWRT81/Kicker-40CWRT81.html
-amp http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064KX4K1/Kicker-40KX400-1.html
-24 or 30 inch led bar
-air intake
-chip
-cb
-scanner
-1 inch wheel spacers
-1.25 inch front/ 1 inch rear btf spacers
-thinking gears.
- radio http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDR840B/JVC-KD-R840BT.html?tp=5684#customer-reviews-tab

the ex is in the shop right now over steering issues. and she got stuck in here first hole today, front wheels werent spinning. need to do some wire checks on my bwm soon.

Last edited:

Lol you posted your link backwards. And with the tow hooks try to buy some off an older F150, the newer F150 tow hooks dont stick out as far. Also instead of the intake you could do the airbox mod and save a $200 for some more mods. With the wheel spacers I'd go 1.5" or bigger or you'll have to grind down the studs because they'll hit the wheel when it goes on. With the BTF try not to go to big or those 265's will look too small for the truck.
Good luck! Trucks looking great! :thumbsup:

Link For Airbox Mod
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278734

Last edited:

Lol you posted your link backwards. And with the tow hooks try to buy some off an older F150, the newer F150 tow hooks dont stick out as far. Also instead of the intake you could do the airbox mod and save a $200 for some more mods. With the wheel spacers I'd go 1.5" or bigger or you'll have to grind down the studs because they'll hit the wheel when it goes on. With the BTF try not to go to big or those 265's will look too small for the truck.
Good luck! Trucks looking great! :thumbsup:

Link For Airbox Mod
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278734

ah crap, ill have to fix that some time. and with the tires, i know. it sucks. if i get to big of a lift im gonna wanna get 33s and if i get 33s im gonna want 18 or bigger inch rims, then ill have slight rubbing and want to lift it a little more. and so the cycle continues.
Your exhaust done yet?

edit : the air box mod looks promising. I was gonna have a pipe bent up for me, then get a sencer at autozone along with a filter.

update: 4x4 is fine, the plastic holding the relay on a ground bolt broke and made the ralay fall, causing the ground wire to disconect. easy fix. and the steering wheel noise, had a barring come loose. 20 dollar fix. riding good for now.

come to think about it aluminum we are gonna be sitting about the same hight wth the same stance when its all said and done lol. (that is if you go with the full btf spacer kit.) youll be more suspesion and ill be more body lol. we are both planning on a lot of the same mods.

Last edited:

ah crap, ill have to fix that some time. and with the tires, i know. it sucks. if i get to big of a lift im gonna wanna get 33s and if i get 33s im gonna want 18 or bigger inch rims, then ill have slight rubbing and want to lift it a little more. and so the cycle continues.
Your exhaust done yet?

edit : the air box mod looks promising. I was gonna have a pipe bent up for me, then get a sencer at autozone along with a filter.

update: 4x4 is fine, the plastic holding the relay on a ground bolt broke and made the ralay fall, causing the ground wire to disconect. easy fix. and the steering wheel noise, had a barring come loose. 20 dollar fix. riding good for now.

come to think about it aluminum we are gonna be sitting about the same hight wth the same stance when its all said and done lol. (that is if you go with the full btf spacer kit.) youll be more suspesion and ill be more body lol. we are both planning on a lot of the same mods.

No I'm going to get my 1.5" Body lift done either next weekend or the weekend after them I'll have my exhaust done. I wants to do the body lift first that way the exhaust wont be hanging low after the body lift. And well actually if I ran 1" BTF spacers and the BL our ex's would be eye level. Because the BTF lifts give you about 1.5" of lift of what the spacer size is. If that makes sence. So a 1" would actually be about 1.5" a 2" would be about 3" The lift nets a little more then the size of the actual block.

No I'm going to get my 1.5" Body lift done either next weekend or the weekend after them I'll have my exhaust done. I wants to do the body lift first that way the exhaust wont be hanging low after the body lift. And well actually if I ran 1" BTF spacers and the BL our ex's would be eye level. Because the BTF lifts give you about 1.5" of lift of what the spacer size is. If that makes sence. So a 1" would actually be about 1.5" a 2" would be about 3" The lift nets a little more then the size of the actual block.

i know :thumbsup: I plan on getting a 1 inch spacer lift one of these days. but I think im going to focus on the sound sytem next. :D

me: 3.0" body + 1.5" font(2.25 real)/1.0" (1.5 real) rear = 5" front/4.5" rear total
you: 1.5" body + 2.25" (3.375 real)/1.75" real (2.625 real) = 4.5" front/ 4.0" rear total
.5 inches differents.
corect?

Last edited:

heres a list of what I am going to start saving up for for maybe the end of may have my sound system completed.

headunit - Kenwood Excelon KDC-X797
doors (front and rear) - Alpine SPS-610C
subwoofer - Rockford Fosgate P3D2-12
subwoofer amp - Rockford Fosgate R750-1d
door amp - Rockford Fosgate R400-4D
signal processor - Kicker Front Row™
subwoofer box - custom build
wiring kit - EFX 4-gauge Amplifier Wiring Kit
power distributer - StreetWires DBX3434
4 channel patch cable - StreetWires Zero Noise 5
speaker wire - StreetWires 12-gauge Ultra Cable
Damplifier Pro™ 80 sqft

Last edited:

i know :thumbsup: I plan on getting a 1 inch spacer lift one of these days. but I think im going to focus on the sound sytem next. :D

me: 3.0" body + 1.5" font(2.25 real)/1.0" (1.5 real) rear = 5" front/4.5" rear total
you: 1.5" body + 2.25" (3.375 real)/1.75" real (2.625 real) = 4.5" front/ 4.0" rear total
.5 inches differents.
corect?

That's correct but as is with me having the 1.5" body and 1" BTF spacers we would be eye level.

I got so much to do,
Sound System
BTF Lift
Exhaust
Tint
LED Lights Behind Grille
Air Box Mod
Remote Start
Wheel Spacers
Rock Sliders
Skid Plates
Spartain Locker

The List Never Ends... :D

That's correct but as is with me having the 1.5" body and 1" BTF spacers we would be eye level.

I got so much to do,
Sound System
BTF Lift
Exhaust
Tint
LED Lights Behind Grille
Air Box Mod
Remote Start
Wheel Spacers
Rock Sliders
Skid Plates
Spartain Locker

The List Never Ends... :D

personaly its because I dont have the cash to do it all. so while im saving to do one thing I get board, look on this forum, find 5 more things I want to do. but my beats headphones have left me feeling like my stock system was missing something. and sence i play guitar, i have a thing for quality sounds. = bookoo bucks

Aluminum get your exhaust done soon i want to hear it lol.

Aluminum get your exhaust done soon i want to hear it lol.

Lol I'll have it done by the end of the month. Once I get the body lift done I'll set up an appointment and get it done. I'll make a video but idk how great of a video I can take from my phone being thats the only camera I have.

so here's what I'm thinking about for a little side project while im saving for the system.
110v stock looking power inverter

the tricky part:
making this
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...earch=true&year=2012&make=Ford&model=Explorer

work with a cobra power inverter.
any ideas? obviously I'm going to have to take apart the inverter and figure out which wire goes where but the ford part has 4 plugs, which I have no clue which one goes to what.

Back