DeRocha's Door Hinge Pin Replacement w/pics | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DeRocha's Door Hinge Pin Replacement w/pics

Where the locking ring goes when you install it ? I will buy one of this pins at my local store but wanna be sure how to install it correctly

The "E" clip goes in a grove cut into the pin. The Pin is inserted so the pointed end is facing UP. IMO I'd replace both pins at the same time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whats the difference if the pin is pointed down?

originaly it look face down i think but i dont know why je tld to put it face up

yeah. the stock pins are pointing down. jw if it really made a difference. thanks.

The "E" clip goes in a grove cut into the pin. The Pin is inserted so the pointed end is facing UP. IMO I'd replace both pins at the same time.

hey derocha, can i add something to your write up? i was at my local Shucks today looking for the door striker pin set but instead i found the striker pin bushings part number 38424 the plastic peices that go on the pin itself because my bushing on it broke off after all this time of my door sagging it was like $5.99 + local taxes. i noticed that the striker pin kits were like 8 bucks or something. my dad and I are going to tackle this job tomarrow i have the hinge pin and bushing kits as well. the striker bushing kit says its for the lift gate but i dont see that it would make that much difference. ill let ya know tomorow

Thanks very much for all the info.....we used 38410 for the bottom hinge and 38438 for the upper hinge. The local AutoZone had just one 38438 in stock but quite a few of the 38410.
Closes beautifully now.

Before I replaced my hinge pins I drove around with a very bad door sag. Because of the need to really slam the door to get it to close I ended up breaking/cracking the driver's side pull handle. Check out my Driver's inner door handle repair thread for info on fixing a cracked door handle pull for a few $ of plastic epoxy and fiberglass cloth.

91 explorer door pins

thanks for the great thread on door pin replacement on explorers.I followed your instructions,and changed mine without any major hassles. except for my lower hinge was so badly worn, the supplied bushings from my 38410 and 38438 kits would slop around in the hole. i work at an auto parts store in british columbia, canada, and brought the hinge in and matched a bushing to solve the problem. geno # 14553 was the answer. most major auto parts stores should carry a door pin and bushing assortment kit, but always bring in the hinge rather than bring nothing and describe what you need with your hands. there should be no need to have to taper your bushing with a punch, or buy a new hinge to fix the problem.
p.s: god bless the neighbor that hands you a pneumatic air drill kit, and tosses an air line connected to his compressor over the fence.

Door Hinge Repair

I just purchased a 92 Explorer 4X4 with a bad hinge on the drivers door. I was all set for a long repair job when I found your post. You did an excellent job of photo step by step which saved me a lot of time and expense. Thank You. By the way I supported my door with a floor jack which worked just fine.

This way is certianly easier then the way I fixed mine! Good thing I had to remove the dash anyways.

Awesome!

your instructions were incredible, I just put new pins and bushings in my drivers door tonite. I had no jack so i used two old tires and a tow strap tied to the roof of my shop! haha Thanks so much for the info, this site is crazy cool!:thumbsup:

I read your repair on the website. However, I used a garage to do my work. I hung the door from the rafters with a come along and a cable with two hooks. This allowed me to lift the door evenly instead of using a jack to lift from only one side. However, I was unable to locate a Door Hinge Pin & Bushing Kit for my Mazda Navajo. Would a kit from a Ford Explorer work for this operation?
I would appreciate any response. Thank You.

Before I replaced my hinge pins I drove around with a very bad door sag. Because of the need to really slam the door to get it to close I ended up breaking/cracking the driver's side pull handle. Check out my Driver's inner door handle repair thread for info on fixing a cracked door handle pull for a few $ of plastic epoxy and fiberglass cloth.
Haha, I did the same thing..even with a cast on my arm. I took the X to a local body shop here and they said you have to go through the dash in order to get a screw on the top hinge off and it would be around 4 hours labor..but I'm assuming you dont based on your write-up?

... I was unable to locate a Door Hinge Pin & Bushing Kit for my Mazda Navajo. Would a kit from a Ford Explorer work for this operation?

The Navajo and Explorer are sister vehicles and share many identical components. As such I assume Dorman part#s 38438 or 38410 will fit your Navajo. To be 100% sure you'll need to search parts stores for hinge #s for a Navajo and cross reference them to an Explorers.

Haha, I did the same thing..even with a cast on my arm. I took the X to a local body shop here and they said you have to go through the dash in order to get a screw on the top hinge off and it would be around 4 hours labor..but I'm assuming you dont based on your write-up?

Correct.. the purpose of replacing just the pins is to avoid having to take 1/2 the dash apart to get at the upper hinge bolts.

Well I did this today. I ground the pin compression fitting off. Much fast than the hand hammer and chissel. But I did both hinges at the same time and put the door on a kitchen chair. Worked pretty well.

Carbide Bur

I used a carbide bur on an air drill to shave off the tops of the pins. Took an impact hammer with a center punch and drove out the pins. Replaced with new bushings and pins... works like new. I would suggest everyone lube up the new set with lithium spray or another lubricant after install. This wasn't a difficult job. But I did need to adjust the hinges and the strike. So you may want to be proactive after repair so you don't have to do this again. Nevertheless, this job is NOT as difficult as it may appear. Follow the guidance in prior posts and have the right tools on hand. If you know a body guy it would be good to have him there to adjust the hinges after pin replacement. There is no need to remove the dash.

Thanks to the forum I replaced my pin in 20 minutes. Here is what I did: Propped door on bucket, used long drill bit to drill top of pin down. Chisel and hammer to knock out remaning tip of pin. sprayed wd40 on hinge and old pin...knock it out with a long skinny screw driver and hammer. removed door side bolts from hinge. removed old bushings. Replace bushings, lubed new pin and put hinge back together. I place the pin from the top down and use pin to hold in place. Aligned door with hinge and replaced both bolts. As you tighten bolts you can "nudge" door to align. Sorry if my explanation sounds easy....but it was. Takes a little mechanical talent..but not much!!

Thanks for the info. Here's a suggestion for lubricating hinges and many other applications. Go to a motorcycle shop and get a can of spray chain oil. It comes out like penetrating oil and turns into a greese.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good write up

I just did my upper hinge tonight... and I must say this article helped. Also note that installing the new pin upwards aids in quick removal (easier to hammer down) - good point of the article

So... I pulled the upper hinge bolts and used my floor jack with a 4x4 chunck on it leaving the lower hinge bolts tight - as I lowered the door it backed away from the body with just enough room...

For those of us low budget (no air tools) Harbor Freight sells a 5 piece grinding bit set that you can put on your drill - you must grind ALL of the OEM head off and note that the end is also slightly swedged. Get a LONG punch or drift because using a short one might cause it to bounce and deflect into the fender... speaking of which, is there a "how to" on taking off the fender???

Thanks again!

Back