Derricks X getting Portals....... | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Derricks X getting Portals.......

A few of the members figured it out what I've been working on the last few weeks. CoryL asked me to start a thread so we could discuss this further.

My plans so far:
1 front and 1 rear(no rear steer) Unimog 404 axles from killeraxles.com .

Chopping the rear of my X off.(frame and all) Doing a tubular bed, housing my fuel cell and spare tire.

I'm keeping the Explorer look by keeping my fiberglass but treating them like bedsides. And doing the same with the front. Kinda like they did to the Bronco on Monster Garage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats one thing I actually thought about when I designed it. One thing about being a person who enjoys wheelin in the snow, your use to the cold. I have plenty of winter wheelin clothes.:D

Plus I figured I could have a shop here in town make me a soft top some time down the road.

I'm understanding what your talking about Cory. But with me and the way I feel, I'll move, cut off, and fab what I need to to get this to work. We'll try to use the stock frame first and modifying the crossmember. Doesn't work.....I'll live under that thing until I get it figured out.

Brian, that pic doesn't work.:)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I agree with you about the cold I am a skier and as long as there is snow to be had I'll be there

Keep up the good work.
Gary

That'd be cool. And alot easier to do to.:)

Originally posted by Brian1
Okay different pic on a different server: HERE

Jeez, anyone notice the bar right in front of the drivers windshield, or where the windshield would be, its bent! What kind of position would you have to get the vehicle in to bend that bar?:rolleyes:

Look how wavey the hood is. It's been rolled a few times. Prob landed upsidedown on a big rock right in front of the driver.

Well I had the shop sit some tubing off to the side for me today.

I have a total of 200 feet of 1.5"x.120 wall tubing. Figured that would work.

Then 50 feet of 1.75"x.5" thick tubing for the links. That should be plenty strong for it.

I was just going to ask you if you had any updates. Looks like I won't make it down this weekend. Gotta take the Beagles to Boise. Say that three times fast. :D

Yeah theres more to come but I don't have a final word on it so I'm not going to say until I do.

2 of my seats showed up. Corbea Baja SSs.

Now I'm kinda thinkin about a plasma cutter. I have friends with ones but need my own.

Originally posted by Derrick C.
Now I'm kinda thinkin about a plasma cutter. I have friends with ones but need my own.

I'd like to have my own, and you probably will with this project, but man, those are expensive!

Do you already have a welder?

Those seats are sweet! Are you planning on building the cage with your seats at the same time?

Josh, one of Derrick's buddies and myself both have welders so he's covered there.

I wasn't sure if he had one since he was talking abouta plasma cutter, it's just funny to want a plasma cutter but have to borrow a welder! lol

I'm looking forward to seeing this build up, it's gonna be huge :eek:

All I need now is a plasma cutter and a tube bender and I'd be happy for a while. That would surely keep me busy (and broke). :D

I'm with you, i'd love to have that stuff.

What welder are you all going to use on this stuff?

Kent has a ready welder.

My buddy TJ has a big boy miller. Wire feed with gas.

I have a little miller gasless wire feed.

Oh and tube bender is on the way. Ordered it a couple of days ago.

Anyone know anything about plasma cutters??? Like what to look for??? Thickness max. and stuff like that.

Derrick,
Get at least a 80 amp. plasma cutter. That way you can cut up to 1/2". Not that you will need to, just makes the lighter stuff that much easier.

over kill never killed anyone. My steering is made of 1.5" .25 dom tubing. I can jack my explorer up in the front by the steering not that I would but if for some reason I got hung up on the steering I dont have to worry about it. I hate braking stuff, the beefier the better I always say. Doing it once right is better then having to upgrade and spend more money and time later. The long arms on the rubicon express tj kits are made of 2" .25 tubing my brother had a rear ended a fullsize pickup at 40 mph bent the hell out of the front axle sheared all of the brackets off but didn't hurt the arms. Also I'd reccomend using jonny joint ends instead of hyme joints for almost the same cost they are way stronger check out foothilloffroad.com. They have tons of pieces for the home fabricator to make things easier. Being beefier just adds to the coolness factor. Dont cut your self short. RobbieJ

I have the same beliefs. If I biuld it to take abuse I don't have to worry about it on the trail.

Thats a good web site. Thanks!:)

Derrick,
Not to get too off topic, what brand tubing bender did you go with and is it manual or hydraulic? I'm planning on getting an M-tech
manual bender soon. Seems to be built well and the price seems fair...just under $300 with degree ring.

Also, I dug up the june 2003 issue of petersons 4wheel mag and they had an article on humm-9 portals made by USA 6x6 (www.usa6x6.com). Final gearing options range from 4.8:1 to 14.07:1 and thats with a 3 1/2 in gain over a stock Ford 9 in. They are using 12 in brake rotors and stock GM calipers. Probably some pricey units compared to other portals.

Yikes! Just looked at their website...$4600 for a custom built axle:eek:

Back