dersch6221992 Dana 44 SAS, with a rear SOA | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dersch6221992 Dana 44 SAS, with a rear SOA

Hey Guys,

So i finally am ready to make this happen! After seeing 01STrunner and talking with him (sorry again fro highjacking your thread) i decided this will happen next spring!
So i was previously considering just buying a 4 door wrangler and wheeling that but honestly i love my truck... its V8 AWD and a 4 doors. Lots of room... lots of potential really and instead of having generic stuff like a wrangler itd be all custom for me! So anyways enough rambling. My budget for this build will be less than $4000 with labor i hope (havent decided if i will attempt to tackle myself or if i will take to a shop and let them preform it... i just emailed a butt load of shops to see what it would cost...)

What i am hoping to accomplish width wise is to have the tires definitely sticking out from underneath the fenders. hopefully about half the tires as that is the look i really like. I dont want to go super tall and have the tires tucked under itd look funny to me.

REAR
Right now for the rear i think i will stay with a stock axle... I will just end up regearing it to match whatever the front is at. I will plan to do an SOA using this thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46236
My question is... is this really a good option? Someone mentioned that it may not be a good idea because it cant actually handle the stress i guess? But if i regeared i figured itd be okay. Any suggestions or comments? if i dont keep stock i would do a DANA 60 but not sure exactly the best method of that.
COST- $32

FRONT
I will be swapping in a DANA 44 up front. I will be doing shocks/ coilsprings. Reason? I honestly just dont like the look of leaf springs up front :scratch:
Anyways i will follow this WONDERFUL thread. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=236289 I think it will end up be really good doing this setup. So this will put me between $1000 and $1500 id say. which is not bad at all. and if i do it myself free besides buying a welder and a cut off tool. if i take it to a shop id expect $2000 in labor. so about $300 total.

GEARS
What gears is everyone going with? Like i mentioned before this rig will not be a trailer queen, i will drive it everywhere i go. Also will see highway use, and city driving about equally as much as it sees the trails/ mud. I would like 35" tires im thinking. 4.88 would be ideal? maybe maybe 4.56s?? but like i said this rig will see highway/ street.

LOCKER
I would be interested in throwing some manual locking hubs on there... not sure how that would work if its needed or would work?

TIRES/ RIMS
I am hoping to run 35" tires i think. maybe 37" tires.
I will be buying these rims when the time comes.
kb2cxs.jpg

so i am baiscally hoping to get a lot of flex, and atleast 6" of lift. i want to be able to clear more trails, and be very capable offroad.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=313403 im hoping to have it look like this when im done! WHAT A PRETTY TRUCK i want that look but with coil springs

Any tips, sugestions, cocerns, tricks etc. please tell me
Also, i have an AWD will this be a problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im going to use this to record which shops said what.

Ironman Offroad- $7000 for dana 44/ dana 60 they provide axles. $5000 if i provide axels. fully set up with coil springs up front. My choice of gears. ready to roll.
- $5000 for DANA 44 up front and SOA in back. Coil springs up front my gear choice.

Basically im going to probably go with Ironman offroading when the time comes this is the shop i will go with. I dont think $7000 for a fully new ready to go set up D44/D60 with gears of my choice and coils upfront is too bad at all really. and maybe i can haggle them down a bit if i offer to help or "sponser them" with a logo on my truck!

Also, i just inquired purely out of curiousity if they would be willing to try a 3rd gen SAS. cause shoot why not!? if they seem as confident (all other shops were scared) to do the 2nd gen no problem mind as well give the 3rd gen a whirl!

So those shops were quoting you for the entire build if they did them? In reference to the Ironman quote, the second one you received "$5000 for DANA 44 up front and SOA in back. Coil springs up front my gear choice." was this with their Dana44 or the one you would be bringing to them?

So those shops were quoting you for the entire build if they did them? In reference to the Ironman quote, the second one you received "$5000 for DANA 44 up front and SOA in back. Coil springs up front my gear choice." was this with their Dana44 or the one you would be bringing to them?

the $7000 is for them providing "reconditioned" axles full setup all good to go rolling out the door.
the $5000 is the same things except in the back they would do an SOA.

this would be a coil spring job up front, and the gear choice since they are reconditioning them i can make them any size i want. i think the $7000 option is better because for 2k more i get another axle versus only SOA

Going to enjoy this thread; especially your pricing info.

The only concern I'd have is the rock rash you're going to give those beautiful wheels. I've thought about getting wheels dipped in camo myself.

the $7000 is for them providing "reconditioned" axles full setup all good to go rolling out the door.
the $5000 is the same things except in the back they would do an SOA.

this would be a coil spring job up front, and the gear choice since they are reconditioning them i can make them any size i want. i think the $7000 option is better because for 2k more i get another axle versus only SOA

Makes perfect sense! That is what I was getting out of it, but one little voice in my head said something different creating confusion for myself...very easy to do :) $7k for the whole setup is a pretty penny, but if the guarantee their work and wil fix any kinks/breaks for free, then very well could be worth it.

Thank you for your reply :) much appreciated!

yea i havent quite decided what i want to do yet. $7000 is a lot but for a full setup the exact way i want it wouldnt be bad!
the other option is to buy a wrangler :) havent decided either way i will spend a pretty penny.

yea i havent quite decided what i want to do yet. $7000 is a lot but for a full setup the exact way i want it wouldnt be bad!
the other option is to buy a wrangler :) havent decided either way i will spend a pretty penny.

LOL no you have a major dilemma on your hands. If you only have one ride, then maybe getting the Jeep would be a good idea so you would still have a DD while you build/play with the other. But I think I would go against my logic and get the Ex in a position where she needs to be..up in the air! :)

LOL no you have a major dilemma on your hands. If you only have one ride, then maybe getting the Jeep would be a good idea so you would still have a DD while you build/play with the other. But I think I would go against my logic and get the Ex in a position where she needs to be..up in the air! :)

My thing is that in order to get the money for this project it would be in reached my goal of being a state trooper of Indiana. And a benefit would be that I get a take home car! Plus I have a street bike therefore my need for a dd is not as high. Yes I need a car for the road that functions but i can be a little more extreme.

The jeeo option does sound good though. Either way itll cost ne money.

Offtrac yes i am afraid of messing them up! We will see when that time comes.

I would choose the $5000 option. Unless you're going full width, the stock rear axle will work perfectly and save you the money to spend on something else.

I had an SOA in the rear and it worked just fine. You could also get custom springs if you're not happy with the stock leaf packs once it's lifted.

I would also go 5.13 just in case you do ever go with 37s. Definitely no lower (in numbers) than 4.88s. I had 4.56 with 35s and it's not low enough.

I would choose the $5000 option. Unless you're going full width, the stock rear axle will work perfectly and save you the money to spend on something else.

I had an SOA in the rear and it worked just fine. You could also get custom springs if you're not happy with the stock leaf packs once it's lifted.

I would also go 5.13 just in case you do ever go with 37s. Definitely no lower (in numbers) than 4.88s. I had 4.56 with 35s and it's not low enough.

thanks froaders. but yea the guy said he could do a 3rd gen for about $7000 with dual SOA... the shop is pretty close to KAZER's house so im trying to get him to stop up there and have the guy look at the truck to see what it would really cost/ if they could even do it. but yea i really kind of want to buy a third gen just for that!

and yea i think SOA would be fine in the rear cause then i could use the saved $2000 for tires/ rims :)

My thoughts exactly. No lower than 4.88s! I ran 5.13s and it never seemed like it was too much gear, ran 37s on the HWY often.

Glad my threads were insightful on your research :)

My thoughts exactly. No lower than 4.88s! I ran 5.13s and it never seemed like it was too much gear, ran 37s on the HWY often.

Glad my threads were insightful on your research :)

yes thanks for the advice! i think i will be shooting for 35's maybe 37" tires i dont know yet. but i will be on the highway! so i think 5.13's would be great :)

Subscribing, cant wait to see this. Ive always loved your truck, hope this turns out good

Subscribing, cant wait to see this. Ive always loved your truck, hope this turns out good

Thanks man!
it has been so long since ive been on here.
i really got into street bikes this summer so i kind of stopped working on my truck.

i officially got into the Indiana State police. so i am waiting to see what i want to do with this SAS.

Unfortunately guys i am shutting down this thread for me atleast :(
I will be going the superlift route with this truck. for $800 and all bolt on i cant go wrong with it. So yea unless i get another 2nd gen some day this will be come a super lifted mounty.

Unfortunately guys i am shutting down this thread for me atleast :(
I will be going the superlift route with this truck. for $800 and all bolt on i cant go wrong with it. So yea unless i get another 2nd gen some day this will be come a super lifted mounty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back