Desert Guard/Light bar - Where to get one | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Desert Guard/Light bar - Where to get one

EBInterceptor

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ada, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
I saw some Fabtech desert guards, along with this James Duff one...

7833_lightbar.jpg

Where can I find one for a '98 Explorer. I was considering getting a Westin safari bar, but heard about it screwing up entry angles and it does seem to hang pretty low. Now I'm thinking that I would like something like that to protect the lights some, dress up the front end, and have a spot to mount some KC Daylighters or some other offroad lights.

Think any of those would fit? Or know of any ones that will?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ive got the safari bar, i love it. Ive got 2 KC daylighters 150watt sealed beams....so fun to drive around with it. i love the look of the truck, looks tough but not overpowering, and it does what its supposed to. I would consider it more though

Scott

bump? ttt? Whichever one gets someones attetion. Something else I'm considering is just mounting the lights directly to the bumper, or otherwise mounting them behind the grill like Bill Kemp. Any opinions?

The safari light bar looks good with lights on it, but it kills approach angles.

Get a safari bar and have someone made custom brackets for the mount. That way you can place it as high as you want so that the bar is out of the way. Remember this guy? He did that with his.
normal_chrismud.gif

the one on the ranger would be sweet, and it does not look all that hard to fab up....a safari bar would kill the approach angle like everyone has said, and you def would have got hung up on it last weekend (kinda like my damn trailer hitch burried itself in the ground)....i kind like the look of the lights mounted right on the bumper, thats what i am thinking about doing

I think ideally I would like to get a desert style guard because they seem to be a little more unique for the Explorers. The real problem is that I don't have much modifying skills nor do I really know anyone that could do it. Essentially I just don't want my bar to hang below the valance that I have on my X right now, so the safari bar would be an option if I could find someone to modify it for me. A desert or prerunner bar would be much better if I could get someone to make some mounts for that instead. I suppose I could get some flat steel and go at it with a hack saw and a mini torch, but then again welding does seem to cause a problem.

pic2.jpg

How about this one? Think it looks good? I stole this off the forums. Cost is around $150-170

Another view, but too large to post.

Dead Link Removed

well i have a westin safari bar, and i had the TT/shackle then did a 3" BL, had custom brackets fabed out of the old ones with new supports to get it up out of the way, guy who did my fabbing only charged me like 25, so i'm sure u can find someone to do it cheap around u, just have to design the brackets to get it as high up as u want like someone already said, i'll get some pics if u want to see them

Back