Desperate need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Desperate need help

Reaction score
City, State
Greencreek
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 f150 FX4 xlt
Hay guys i need help. Have a 2004 f150 fx4 5.4 engine. When i drive and go to break the front end grabs and locks up. When i go to pull away it grabs then lets go. Ive replaced all breaks calipers, d/s axle hub and actuator. Where do i go from there

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried pulling the driveshaft and driving without it?

Have you tried pulling the driveshaft and driving without it?
No i haven't im thinking its the 4wd motor i just tried and it wont shift into 4x4. I just bought this truck. When your in 2wd should the dash light be on

Usually in 2wd no lights are on, and lights come on for 4wd and low. Not positive on an F150. Pull the shift motor off and try shifting it manually. Maybe it’s between positions.

Usually in 2wd no lights are on, and lights come on for 4wd and low. Not positive on an F150. Pull the shift motor off and try shifting it manually. Maybe it’s between positions.
Yup its the motor its not shifting. Thank you will let know if it works

Yup its the motor its not shifting. Thank you will let know if it works
Just because it doesn’t shift doesn’t mean it’s the issue. The transfer case could be damaged inside and it could be unable to shift.

Will the shift motor turn with the shift motor unbolted from the transfer case (but still electrically connected)?

Just because it doesn’t shift doesn’t mean it’s the issue. The transfer case could be damaged inside and it could be unable to shift.
I drove the truck for 400 km and not a problem. Then it started to shake on front end bad. If you let off gas and then gave it gas the shake would go away. Then when i put on the breaks it would grab on the front driver side wheel. When i bought it, the breaks were just done new calipers pads roters.
I thought the caliper might be grabbing so put new one on. Then replaced rubber line to wheel.still problem so noticed play in wheel brg. Replaced with new hub/wheel barring, new axle, and actuator on wheel. Still grabbing ☹☹ today took in out on snow coverd lot and tried the 4x4 would not shift out of 4x4 or 2wd. Put in garage can not hear motor to engage 4wd. Kick in.so i belive its the motor or the 4wd. Actuator. I have a sport trac scraped that has the same motor. I just have to change from round to rectangle connector. That's my goal. Im also going to change the gear oil in front and rear dif. To check for fillings. So thats my next step.if there is any advice you can give me its appreciated. Sorry for being long winded but wanted to put steps out there for info on what ive done.

The driveshaft between the transfer case and the differential. That would have no effect on the wheel bearings.

Back