Detailed Instructions on installing KKM Intake (With Pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Detailed Instructions on installing KKM Intake (With Pics)

dothedeww

Reaction score
City, State
West Friendship, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
Installing a KKM intake on a 4.0V6. This particular model was a 2006 XLT (mine).
Took me about 30 minutes...including all the pictures.

What it looks like to start:

100_0395.jpg

First:
Remove Mass Air flow Sensor plug. Make sure you pull out the red tab...otherwise you wont get the plug off without breaking it.

100_0396.jpg

Second:
Loosen clamp holding on stock airbox (flathead screwdriver)

100_0397.jpg

Third:
Unclip Airbox lid and remove

100_0399.jpg

100_0400.jpg

Fourth:
Remove Filter

100_0401.jpg

Fifth:
Take lid of airbox to workbench and get a Torx20 screwdriver (star tip).

100_0403.jpg

Sixth:
Remove two screws holding in Mass Air Flow Sensor. For me, the screws were very tight.
Once both screws are out, MAF Sensor should slide easily out.

100_0402.jpg

100_0404.jpg

100_0405.jpg

Seventh:
Add washers as stated in the directions and as picture below.

100_0410.jpg

Eighth:
Reinstall MAF sensor into new intake. Do not overtighten.

100_0411.jpg

Nineth:
Remove stock airbox bottom. DONT BE AFRIAD TO PULL...you wont hurt it.
This part can get tricky, since there are 4 rubber plugs holding it on. 2 of the plugs are in the bottom, and 2 of them are stuck in the fender. What I did was pull up first, let the bottom 2 plugs pop out, then pulled towards the alternator to get the 2 side plugs out. Then with some simple manueavering you can get the tube out of the grill(real easy).

100_0406.jpg

100_0407.jpg

Where the two bottom plugs were positioned:

100_0408.jpg

Where the two side plugs were positioned:

100_0409.jpg

Tenth:
Position the bracket (comes with intake) on the bottom of the intake. Use the bolt thats already in the hole to attach the bracket.

100_0412.jpg

Eleventh:
Attach the intake to the clamp and tighten down the clamp. Make sure you position the intake with the bracket down, since you will need this later on to attach to the alternator.

100_0413.jpg

Twelfth:
Attach the bracket to the alternator hole. Getting the nut on the bottom can be trickey, but just be patient with it. Then tighten down the nut. As you tighten the nut, the intake will move fowards...towards the passenger side. This is alright and gets it out of the way of other components.

100_0414.jpg

Thirteenth:
Attach the MAF sensor plug back in. Make sure you slide the red clip back in to secure the plug.

100_0415.jpg

The finished product:

100_0416.jpg

Hope this helps everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice! i just installed mine two days ago works great the only thing i did differently was on the bracket i installed the bolt the opposide direction on the alternator, this made it easier to tighten im sure it wont affect anything :thumbsup:

Ya. Mine was still hot when I was doin it..so I was just trying to get that bolt on the burning hot alternator as quickly as possible. haha

yeah haha i know exactly what your talking about i wanted it on as soon as it was delivered even though i almost burned my hand off haha

heres a pic of exactly the same but on an 06" mountaineer:
intake.jpg

looks good keep up good work

yeah haha i know exactly what your talking about i wanted it on as soon as it was delivered even though i almost burned my hand off haha

heres a pic of exactly the same but on an 06" mountaineer:
intake.jpg

has anyone come up with provisions on removing the air block shaped and J-shaped air silencers or the whole air tube?

Nice writeup. Looks like a good product and fits well. Could use a bigger logo sticker though so people would know who makes it..... LoL

haha yeah.

and no...havent found a way to remove the blocks

okay this is probably the dumbest question ever but when i installed my kkm intake on my 08 v6 i left those 2 rubber garments on the bottom in. Does it make any difference in performance or anything. I know dumb question but hey u never know. Thanks

No, shouldnt make a difference...except for the 1 pound of extra weight effecting gas mileage :p

lol thanks will pull out next time i clean the filter is there any trick to removing them or just pull.

lol thanks will pull out next time i clean the filter is there any trick to removing them or just pull.

I left them in on mine... they are nice for holding tools, stick a screw driver, ratchet extension, ect

haha I just pulled on them...well mine came out with teh stock airbox..haha . so i didnt have a choice really.

Did anyone of you notice and increase in performance or mpg with this? It looks like it would get pretty heat soaked being exposed like that.

Back