Details on the new Explorer Suspension | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Details on the new Explorer Suspension

Napalm

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
Does anyone have any pics or info on the new suspension? I got to looking and I don't see anything with details.

I hear some rumor upper tier's will have Mag ride - but I'd be surprised at that.

I hear the rear is a full IRS setup - which I would love - but I'm surprised at that too.

So I suspect what it will get in the ranger rear but with coil springs. I'd love to see more on this. If the IRS rumor is true that explains alot. Like the rumor there is a ST model coming for 2022.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone have any pics or info on the new suspension? I got to looking and I don't see anything with details.

I hear some rumor upper tier's will have Mag ride - but I'd be surprised at that.

I hear the rear is a full IRS setup - which I would love - but I'm surprised at that too.

So I suspect what it will get in the ranger rear but with coil springs. I'd love to see more on this. If the IRS rumor is true that explains alot. Like the rumor there is a ST model coming for 2022.

ST model coming in 2022? What are you talking about? ST model is for 2020 and plenty of pics of it on this forum from Auto shows and YouTube videos.

Heck, many of us placed orders for the ST in January/February. Cant tell if you are confused or I am confused on what you are saying.

Yeah I flubbed that.

I was going for the rumor there would be a HO 3.5L ecoboost mill (raptor mill), modded suspension - lightened a touch - more sport model. I guess it might would be called an RS then - AWD only, etc etc.

meanwhile - back to the original question - any details on the suspension geometry and setup?

OK so there is indeed a full multi-link rear with standard gas on oil struts and a IRS rear end. I assume so far they are the same as it on the mustang parts wise. I guess different links and springs though. And sway bars.

I've seen that stated by more than motor trend but never saw a picture of the bottom of the car. Still would like to see one. Also hearing more AL on the bottom of the car too so perhaps the links are all AL - and a AL 2 piece drive shaft. (I kid)

On Page 4 of the 2020 Explorer Order Guide, "Independent Front and Rear Suspension" is listed for the Explorer Base under the FUNCTIONAL heading. There's no mention of suspension for the XLT or the Limited, but the Order Guide says "Sport Tuned Suspension" for the Explorer ST and repeats "Independent Front and Rear Suspension" for the Explorer Platinum.

On Page 4 of the 2020 Explorer Order Guide, "Independent Front and Rear Suspension" is listed for the Explorer Base under the FUNCTIONAL heading. There's no mention of suspension for the XLT or the Limited, but the Order Guide says "Sport Tuned Suspension" for the Explorer ST and repeats "Independent Front and Rear Suspension" for the Explorer Platinum.

Unless otherwise stated, XLT and Limited trims will receive the same as the base.

Just an FYI, ALL explorers and their siblings (mountaineer, aviator) since 2002 have had both IFS and IRS. Also the second gen sport trac from 2007-2010 have it also.

Here is what is shown under Chassis on the Ford site for all trims;
Chassis
Chassis Specifications
Front suspension - MacPherson strut front suspension with 32mm front stabilizer bar
Front shocks - Gas-pressurized hydraulic
Rear suspension - Multi-link independent rear suspension with 22mm rear stabilizer bar
Rear shocks - Gas-pressurized hydraulic
Brakes - Power 4-wheel disc with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
Steering - Electronic Power-Assisted Steering (EPAS)

Peter

The only noteworthy item to look out for will be an active suspension system. That is becoming more common for all higher level cars. Research the shocks, those are the key item for an active suspension, which has to control the shock/strut greatly with hydraulics and electronics.

Ford is moving towards using the same chassis for multiple models, to save money of course. Rumors suggest the new(later) replacement for the Lincoln MKZ will possibly be on the same Mustang chassis, and one or more Lincoln SUV's on the Explorer chassis. So Lincolns already have some level of active suspension, if they keep sharing some chassis', look for more features to be on both or all.

Ford is moving towards using the same chassis for multiple models, to save money of course. Rumors suggest the new(later) replacement for the Lincoln MKZ will possibly be on the same Mustang chassis, and one or more Lincoln SUV's on the Explorer chassis. So Lincolns already have some level of active suspension, if they keep sharing some chassis', look for more features to be on both or all.

I do not think think the MKZ replacement will be on the Mustang platform.

Here is what Ford put out about their plan.

Moving forward, each of the automaker's vehicles will be on one of five platforms:
rear-wheel-drive/all-wheel-drive body-on-frame (Trucks and Expedition)
front-wheel-drive/awd unibody (Escape and Edge)
commercial van unibody (I will guess this is for Vans)
rwd/awd unibody (Explorer and Mustang)
unibody platform for battery-electric vehicles (vehicles with batteries)

(yes I added the comments in ()'s)

To me the MKZ in FWD so it would be on the Escape/Edge platform. Now Lincoln is moving away from the odd three letter naming so who knows what is in store. There was a rumor of Lincoln making a 4 door performance sedan so maybe they will replace both the MKZ and Continental with a sedan on the same Explorer/Mustang platform.

However, I was told a long time ago that Ford likes to put newer fancy features on cheaper high volume vehicles (just one at a time). Like the sync system on the Focus and active suspension on the Fusion. This is so they can sell enough of them to have an economy of scale and try and make the parts cheaper to move to other models. Also, not many people expect for cheaper cars to be perfect all the time i.e. new things break some times. Also, who knows if that is true or not but it does make some sense.

I believe the MKT and MKZ are the only Lincolns that has not been converted from the 3 letter name possibly indicating the end of the line. 2020 is the last year for the Fusion and possibly the MKZ since they share the same body.

Peter

I believe the MKT and MKZ are the only Lincolns that has not been converted from the 3 letter name possibly indicating the end of the line. 2020 is the last year for the Fusion and possibly the MKZ since they share the same body.

Peter

Fusion has been extended to 2023 per internal communications.

Fusion has been extended to 2023 per internal communications.

That would be interesting, if true that'd be due to popularity of the Fusion I'd think. I love the size and shape of it as it is, Ford is very bad about messing up any good thing.

The Continental is also expected to die off, it's another failed attempt at the high end luxury niche market. I haven't watched the Continental, I only know of the low sales and similar features that they put in it, compared to the MKZ. It's a larger version basically, four doors and with the same engine, brakes etc. Being 15k more didn't help either, and a different chassis too.

That would be interesting, if true that'd be due to popularity of the Fusion I'd think. I love the size and shape of it as it is, Ford is very bad about messing up any good thing.

The Continental is also expected to die off, it's another failed attempt at the high end luxury niche market. I haven't watched the Continental, I only know of the low sales and similar features that they put in it, compared to the MKZ. It's a larger version basically, four doors and with the same engine, brakes etc. Being 15k more didn't help either, and a different chassis too.

The continental was not much bigger then the fusion and it had very similar stylin ques that it was hard to tell the difference between the 2. Platform was the issue, it needed to be bigger.

True, it is bigger but not much more than the MKZ. I mistook one as I approached it on the showroom floor last Fall. The back end looked like the MKZ, but it wasn't quite the same, and looking inside I realized it was different. The sticker was about 60k, and I went on my way.

Given shared chassis, they should be able to build cars for prices closer to the median of all similar cars.

The Continental is built on the extended chassis like the Taurus. The Fusion and MKZ share the same standard chassis. The Fusion and MKZ have almost the same external size but, their internal sizes are different. This may be from the MKZ option for that sweet entire glass roof moving around. The Fusion and Taurus have pretty much the same internal sizing but the Taurus has trunk that is about twice the size which I love. Also, the Continental has the option from the beginning to get the 400hp 400tq 3.0L.

That said there is a difference in buying a Lincoln vs. Ford. This comes from some things you can see and feel like it can be better materials (i.e. leathers). Then there are the total ownership like getting loaner cars for servicing. Having talked to several service managers I have been told they are held to a higher standard for customer service for Lincoln owners of just us basic Ford people. For example the Ford dealership I used in SC had a specific Lincoln service manager and there was 3 Lincolns staged as courtesy vehicles for any Lincoln owner who brought in a car for servicing. This is similar to the exotics like BMW or Merc (only I know Merc lets you pick any car on the lot up to the same model as yours, my friend would take in his 2004 C500 for an oil change and come back to work in a brand new one).

These things are why we were considering the Aviator over the Explorer and if not blown away by the ST bring on a Aviator GT with more power :).

I was given loaner cars for a couple services that were more than the general maintenance. One was an Escape and the last was an Edge. I was told that if I was driving a Lincoln, that was what I would have been provided with. Never had issues with the MKT.

Peter

I normally get rentals provided by the warranty for anything more than general maintenance.

Back